Windows 10: Choosing NTFS permissions for shared drives on a local private network

Discus and support Choosing NTFS permissions for shared drives on a local private network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I FINALLY figured out the solution to getting access to the shared drives on my desktop PC. I had to set the NTFS permissions to include "Everyone".... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by sleepless, Jul 13, 2019.

1. sleepless Win User

Choosing NTFS permissions for shared drives on a local private network

I FINALLY figured out the solution to getting access to the shared drives on my desktop PC. I had to set the NTFS permissions to include "Everyone".

But what if I don't wan't to allow everyone on the network access to these files, and only the user account on my laptop instead?

When searching through the principal groups in the NTFS permissions for drives located on the desktop, my laptop user account isn't listed as a choice. Choosing "Authenticated Users" or "Administrators" does not allow for network access. The only way I've managed to give my laptop access to the drives on my desktop through the local private network, has been to set the NTFS permissions for those drives to include "Everyone". Is there a better way?

Thanks.

:)

sleepless, Jul 13, 2019

2. xp ntfs permissions erased - help!

NEVER, ever, remove FULL CONTROL permissions in the Access Control Lists/rights priveleges from:

• Administators Group
    • YOUR local Administrator User
    • SYSTEM
    on NTFS rights on your disks (via Explorer.exe rightclick properties menu, security tab) that use that filesystem, OR in the REGISTRY either, via rightclick on HIVES/KEYS permissions popup menu options...

(Sure way to lock yourself out, period, & I have done it myself early on w/ NTFS filesystems &/or the Registry before... only way to learn sometimes, is making mistakes!)

* Keep this in mind, those of you that start experimenting w/ security @ these 2 levels!

APK

P.S.=> Leaving them @ FULL POWER, in both areas, usually 9/10 times allows you to get back into your rig (logging on as your LOCAL ADMINISTRATOR USER, to fix it), & make alterations to rights/acl's as needed, to "get it right", eventually... especially when you're still learning/experimenting! apk

Alec§taar, Jul 13, 2019
  3. Kai8006 Win User
    Windows 10 local network share private drive with 1 other person

I have six Win 10 PC's in an office on Home group. Works fine for general file sharing. I have a separate hard drive "Private" on my PC I would like to share with my partner on another PC. I start with: Share With, Advanced Sharing, Share This Folder, Permissions,
    Add, Select Users or Groups. If Partner is on another PC the "From This Location, Locations" choice only lists my PC on the network. I can't see other PC's and users even if their network discovery is turned on. How do I add this kind of user?

Carl

Kai8006, Jul 13, 2019
  4. Choosing NTFS permissions for shared drives on a local private network

Permission issue, shared drive Windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We can understand your concern. However, we would need some more information regarding the issue.

1. May I know the exact error message?
    2. Have you shared all hard drives or any particular folder within the particular hard drive?

Since you have mentioned that you are getting error related to permission issue, please refer to the troubleshooting steps provided by “Azee N” dated June 2nd 2010 on
    Providing permission to drive and try
    providing permission to the drive.

If the issue still persists, we would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to re-map the drive.

1. Disconnect the drive by right click on the drive and select disconnect (if the drive is mapped).
    2. Then re-map the drive by referring to Map a network drive
      and check if it resolves the issue.

Regards,

Manjunath_H, Jul 13, 2019
Thema:

Choosing NTFS permissions for shared drives on a local private network

1. Choosing NTFS permissions for shared drives on a local private network - Similar Threads - Choosing NTFS permissions

2. NTFS vs. Share Permissions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NTFS vs. Share Permissions: What are the difference between NTFS and Share Permission, I know they have the same purpose in terms assign permission and stopping unauthorized access to files and folders....
  3. NTFS vs. Share Permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NTFS vs. Share Permissions: What are the difference between NTFS and Share Permission, I know they have the same purpose in terms assign permission and stopping unauthorized access to files and folders....
  4. NTFS vs. Share Permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot share drive on private network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot share drive on private network: Workstation is WIFI Windows 10-> I'm trying to share the drive from this computer. I added permissions including guest, my outlook account and Everyone. Network password is off. IPV6 is off. File and printer share are on.Computer I'm trying to map the driver to is Ethernet...
  6. Cannot share drive on private network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot share drive on private network: Workstation is WIFI Windows 10-> I'm trying to share the drive from this computer. I added permissions including guest, my outlook account and Everyone. Network password is off. IPV6 is off. File and printer share are on.Computer I'm trying to map the driver to is Ethernet...
  7. When are NTFS and Share Permissions combined?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    When are NTFS and Share Permissions combined?: Hello!If I have a shared folder C:\Data on one PC and access it from another \\PC\Data, what permissions would that give me? Would it be NTFS and Share at least or most restricted? How do I know when NTFS and share permissions are combined?Thanks!...
  8. PC Networking/Sharing on Private Network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PC Networking/Sharing on Private Network: We have latest Windows 10 on 3 PC's in our home. They are all connected to the same wifi secure connection. I've configured all 3 for sharing over a private network but have not been able to access the other PC's. I can see one of the computers but it is saying that I...
  9. local network sharing folders permission issues

local network sharing folders permission issues: How do I fix access issues on my local network? I tried doing a full control setting on the other family member network computer. The shared folder shows up, but I still can't get access to the contents of the folder....
  10. Sharing folders on a private network

Sharing folders on a private network: I've been trying to set up my family's private network so the individual computers can access shared folders on the other systems, however one system is not cooperating. In network sharing advanced, I've set the computer to recognize it's on a private network, turned on...