Windows 10: Chrome and other apps displaying "square" text in PDF?

Discus and support Chrome and other apps displaying "square" text in PDF? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi Ladies and Gents, I have an issue with Chrome, specifically when viewing any PDF files the text is displayed as square boxes. The same PDF files... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Easy301, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Easy301 Win User

Chrome and other apps displaying "square" text in PDF?

Hi Ladies and Gents,

I have an issue with Chrome, specifically when viewing any PDF files the text is displayed as square boxes. The same PDF files view fine using an external PDF viewer or with the Edge PDF viewer but when using Chromes Internal viewer in Windows 10 the text is displayed incorrectly.

I've attached both a screenshot of the issue and a screenshot of the "inspect source" section just in case that helps narrow down a font issue.

Thank you very much for your time and your help.

Issue: https://i.imgur.com/755eKyJ.png

Inspect Source: https://i.imgur.com/sqzfAb0.png

:)

Easy301, Dec 21, 2016
  2. Jagst Win User

Change size of individual application in windows 10

I just upgraded my windows 7 laptop to windows 10, everything has been going fine so far but there is an issue that bothers me a lot. In the windows 10 display settings, there is a setting labled "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" and it's
    default value on my laptop is 125%. However, this value is too high for some of my applications (Skype and Steam) and because of this, they are trying to make their text and items larger which is negatively affecting the sharpness or resolution. When I change
    the "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" to 100%, it fixes the applications (Skype and Steam), but makes all my other applications ,such as chrome and Microsoft edge, look way too small. I need a way to make certain applications 100% value in
    the "Change the size of text, apps. and other items", and other applications to be the default value of 125%.

Jagst, Dec 21, 2016
  3. hitch_11 Win User
    about " memory full . close ... " problem ! n97 and equalizer !

i dont have any problems of those u listed i exit frrom all applications when i finish ! well this means there is no solution so thanks a lot nokia Chrome and other apps displaying "square" text in PDF? :(

and about the music i was talking about the phone loudspeaker .. !

hitch_11, Dec 21, 2016
  4. Chrome and other apps displaying "square" text in PDF?

Try clearing your cache. Also might try and see if the page renders properly in incognito mode.

cyberrufus, Dec 21, 2016
  5. Easy301 Win User
    I've done that to no avail, unfortunately. Chrome is set to clear cache, cookies, etc on shutdown. While I have not removed Chrome completely (Something I'm trying to avoid.) and install it again, I have tried a reinstall by downloading Chrome and installing it over the version I have. This did not fix the issue either.

Windows 10 PDF viewer is working fine when I double checked again, it indeed appears like it's an issue that is isolated to Google Chrome. *Sad

Easy301, Dec 23, 2016
  6. Do you have custom fonts selected? It may be that. If they are different from default try changing them back. Here is the default from my Chrome. I Googled "Chrome default font", and found some different, so I don't know what is the true default. It may be based on what fonts your system has installed.

Bobby Phoenix, Dec 26, 2016
  7. Easy301 Win User
    Thanks for taking the time to respond! Sorry I'm late. Chrome and other apps displaying "square" text in PDF? :p

So, it looks like my font settings do indeed match yours.

Doing some testing I've noticed some more issues. It appears that when viewing PDF files in steam, such as game manuals the texts is also displayed incorrectly. Although it's only some text in the PDF, sometimes it's all squares and sometimes it's only a few. Edge PDF viewer still works fine.

I'm pretty stumped on how to proceed. Here is a screenshot of what a PDF looks like viewed via Steam:

I notice nothing else wrong with any type of text in any documents except PDF and only in certain applications which handle PDFs.

Chrome and other apps displaying "square" text in PDF? [​IMG]

Easy301, Feb 7, 2017
  8. torre Win User

Easy301; While I have not removed Chrome completely (Something I'm trying to avoid.) and install it again, I have tried a reinstall by downloading Chrome and installing it over the version I have. This did not fix the issue either.

Not sure, but could reinstalling Chrome over previous installation further complicate the issue ?

I would try to reset Chrome (Settings/Advanced) and if not successful, bite the bullet and completely remove and reinstall.

torre, Feb 8, 2017
  9. This could work (uninstall and reinstall). I would use a program like RevoUninstaller as simply removing via Programs will leave files behind. It also may be your system fonts. You could try running "sfc /scannow" from an elevated CMD. You may just be missing a font the system needs, and not really a Chrome issue.

Bobby Phoenix, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Chrome and other apps displaying "square" text in PDF? - Similar Threads - Chrome apps displaying

2. Save file PDF by Chrome"Save as PDF" can edit text, but "Microsoft Print to PDF" can't edit...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Save file PDF by Chrome"Save as PDF" can edit text, but "Microsoft Print to PDF" can't edit...: When I print a page with "Save as PDF", it will create a file PDF and I can edit text with "Foxit PhantomPDF". But when I print with "Microsoft Print to PDF", The newly created file can't edit the text. Can anyone explain?...
  3. Save file PDF by Chrome"Save as PDF" can edit text, but "Microsoft Print to PDF" can't edit...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Save file PDF by Chrome"Save as PDF" can edit text, but "Microsoft Print to PDF" can't edit...: When I print a page with "Save as PDF", it will create a file PDF and I can edit text with "Foxit PhantomPDF". But when I print with "Microsoft Print to PDF", The newly created file can't edit the text. Can anyone explain?...
  4. Save file PDF by Chrome"Print to PDF" can edit text, but "Microsoft Print to PDF" can't...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Save file PDF by Chrome"Print to PDF" can edit text, but "Microsoft Print to PDF" can't...: When I print a page with "Print to PDF", it will create a file PDF and I can edit text with "Foxit PhantomPDF". But when I print with "Microsoft Print to PDF", The newly created file can't edit the text. Can anyone explain?...
  5. Save file PDF by Chrome"Print to PDF" can edit text, but "Microsoft Print to PDF" can't...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Save file PDF by Chrome"Print to PDF" can edit text, but "Microsoft Print to PDF" can't...: When I print a page with "Print to PDF", it will create a file PDF and I can edit text with "Foxit PhantomPDF". But when I print with "Microsoft Print to PDF", The newly created file can't edit the text. Can anyone explain?...
  6. Save file PDF by Chrome"Print to PDF" can edit text, but "Microsoft Print to PDF" can't...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. PDF icons on desktop are black squares

in Windows 10 Customization
    PDF icons on desktop are black squares: Adobe Acrobat PDF icons have turned black on the desktop.I have tried numerous fixes - none seem to holdOne was to go to Control Panel - Admin Tools - and run Cleanupgo back to desktop and right click Refreshthis works to get rid of the black icons, but then they come right...
  8. Why some text Unicode Character display as square box?

in Cortana
    Why some text Unicode Character display as square box?: when i type some text like "" in windows 10, it display as square box while android does not, why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-some-text-unicode-character-display-as-square/50573790-e2f4-4dae-857c-d9a284b74af4
  9. ebay displays as text in Mozilla, but not Chrome

in Browsers and Email
    ebay displays as text in Mozilla, but not Chrome: As the title summarizes. No other websites seem affected. Ebay shows up as an unusable text display in Mozilla Firefox. Looks fine (normal) in Chrome. So 1) How do I fix this, and 2) What caused this? Win 10 Pro, Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363 Latest Firefox Thanks, Wiz...
  10. Text not displaying on buttons and other places

in Windows 10 Support
    Text not displaying on buttons and other places: After updating to new version of windows10 text is missing or not displaying properly. any help please 83631