Windows 10: Chrome forces tabs into a specific virtual desktop

Discus and support Chrome forces tabs into a specific virtual desktop in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Situation: I have 3 virtual desktops, with various numbers of Chrome Windows/tabs spread amongst all 3 desktops. There are also other programs running.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/rakkamar, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Chrome forces tabs into a specific virtual desktop

Situation: I have 3 virtual desktops, with various numbers of Chrome Windows/tabs spread amongst all 3 desktops. There are also other programs running.

Problem: On desktop 3, whenever I drag a tab out of a Chrome window to create a new, separate window for that tab, Windows decides, for no discernible reason, that that new window belongs in desktop 1. My focus is shifted from desktop 3 to desktop 1 and my new window is also shifted to desktop 1. I now have to manually move my window back to desktop 3 and move my focus back there as well. This behavior is consistent; I have never successfully pulled a tab out of Chrome on desktop 3 without getting randomly shifted to desktop 1. I never experience these issues in desktop 2.

What on earth is going on here?

submitted by /u/rakkamar
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/rakkamar, Jan 10, 2020
  2. Derty Win User

Virtual Desktops showing apps not in certain desktops

Hi, I have a problem with W10 virtual desktops.

I'll explain it step by step :

Go to virtual desktop 1
    Open full windowed Chrome
    Go to virtual desktop 2
    Open two different full windowed excels
    Hit windows-tab

And you end up in this mess i'm attaching as a screenshot.

If you click on destktop 3 icon, you'll be there, but excel will be shown, full windowed, as if you were on desktop 2.
    If you then minimize it, it goes to the desktop 2 taskbar.

If you click on desktop 1 icon, you'll get there, but excels will be shown instead of Chrome. If you put the mouse over desktop 1 icon and then click Chrome above virtual desktops, you'll get to desktop 1 with Chrome being shown as normal.

If you close one of the two excels, virtual desktops works again as expected.

What can I test to solve this mess?

Thanx a lot, I've been expecting a fix in every new compilation, with no luck.

César

Derty, Jan 10, 2020
  3. Make programs (specifically chrome) open on same virtual desktop

Windows has virtual desktops which is great. I use separate desktops for different things I am working on.
    But if I close a program (or reboot), then when I open the program again the program appear on the desktop I am currently on. So I manually have to move the program back.

I guess for chrome it is even more complicated as it is the same program with different windows. It would be nice to have the windows stay on the desktop they were before closing.

Similar to these issues with the difference of my question asking to remember windows position as opposed to setting it explicitly.

Jan Stanstrup, Jan 10, 2020
  4. Callender Win User

Chrome forces tabs into a specific virtual desktop

How To Force Open Link In Same Tab In Google Chrome

Well perhaps a tab manager would allow you to easily identify and close unwanted tabs as well as providing a list of open tabs that you can click to open. Plus import or export tab lists so that you don't loose them. Anyway that was my line of thinking.

Everywhere I look - it seems that there is no way to override external link handling in Chrome by design.

One thing you can do is use this extension:

Open Link in Same Tab - Chrome Web Store

It does open external links in the same tab but requires a right click to choose option from context menu.

Chrome forces tabs into a specific virtual desktop [​IMG]

Callender, Jan 10, 2020
Thema:

Chrome forces tabs into a specific virtual desktop

1. Chrome forces tabs into a specific virtual desktop - Similar Threads - Chrome forces tabs

2. How to transfer tabs in Chrome on mobile to a Desktop version of chrome

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to transfer tabs in Chrome on mobile to a Desktop version of chrome: I have lots of downloads and browsing history opened in chrome mobile version and so the mobile sometime hangs due to low memory . I want to download/transfer those data in my Chrome desktop version. Kindly tell me the steps to perform the task....
  3. How to transfer tabs in Chrome on mobile to a Desktop version of chrome

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to transfer tabs in Chrome on mobile to a Desktop version of chrome: I have lots of downloads and browsing history opened in chrome mobile version and so the mobile sometime hangs due to low memory . I want to download/transfer those data in my Chrome desktop version. Kindly tell me the steps to perform the task....
  4. Start specific applications in a certain virtual desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start specific applications in a certain virtual desktop: Usually, I have 3 virtual desktops active. The applications I use are as follows. Workspace 1 - IDE, Obsidian Workspace 2 - Firefox Workspace 3 - Discord, SpotifyEvery time I turn up my laptop, I start them manually and put them into the correct workspaces. I want them to...
  5. Start specific applications in a certain virtual desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start specific applications in a certain virtual desktop: Usually, I have 3 virtual desktops active. The applications I use are as follows. Workspace 1 - IDE, Obsidian Workspace 2 - Firefox Workspace 3 - Discord, SpotifyEvery time I turn up my laptop, I start them manually and put them into the correct workspaces. I want them to...
  6. Start specific applications in a certain virtual desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. specify specific virtual desktop to open on specific monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    specify specific virtual desktop to open on specific monitor: What I want to do is: I have setup 3 virtual desktops, and I have 3 monitors - my laptop, 1 viewsonic and 1 hanns monitors. So I want to have each desktop assigned to specific monitor always. When I switch to that desktop, it should automatically open on the assigned monitor....
  8. Opening Apps in Specific Virtual Desktops

Opening Apps in Specific Virtual Desktops: Hi, I was wondering if there's a way to set my apps to open in particular virtual desktops. Desired effect: When I run the following apps, I'd like for them to open only in their designated vitrual desktops. E.x. I'd like for my Spotify to open only in Virtual Desktop 5,...
  9. pin apps to specific virtual desktop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    pin apps to specific virtual desktop?: I haven't used Windows in years but have just gotten one of those tiny Intel NUC things and installed Windows 10 pro on it. I'm glad to see Windows finally has an OK virtual desktop system, but is there a way to pin specific software to a specific desktop? Let's say I wanted...
  10. Assigning Application to Specific Virtual Desktop

Assigning Application to Specific Virtual Desktop: Is there any way to restrict a specific application to a specific desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/assigning-application-to-specific-virtual-desktop/f7e08427-455e-4c78-b1bd-806c6f4c1557