Windows 10: Chrome & IE Export Script

Discus and support Chrome & IE Export Script in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have to transition my team from Win 7 to Win 10. We have a mix of Chrome and IE. I am looking for a script that can export all of their bookmarks... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/HFrojo, Jan 21, 2020.

1. /u/HFrojo Win User

Chrome & IE Export Script

I have to transition my team from Win 7 to Win 10. We have a mix of Chrome and IE.

I am looking for a script that can export all of their bookmarks and passwords for both IE and Chrome ...for easy import into Chrome Only on the New Win 10 machines. Trying to avoid a lot of manual work. Any thoughts, thanks so much!

submitted by /u/HFrojo
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/HFrojo, Jan 21, 2020
  2. ddelo Win User

Export All Administrative Events to Excel

To analyze events, from the Windows Event Viewer, there is a simple way to export all Administrative Events to Excel, with PowerShell.

Exporting all Administrative Events to Excel is a simple two Step process, as described here:

Step 1 - Create the Administrative Events View .xml file
    1. Open Eventviewer (%windir%\system32\eventvwr.msc)
    2. Navigate to: Event Viewer (Local) > Custom Views > Administrative Events
    3. In the “Actions” pane select “Filter Current Custom View”.
    4. Select the the XML tab.
    5. Press Ctrl+A to select all the XML code of the Custom View.
    6. Open a notepad, paste the selected code and save the file to your Desktop as AdmEvtView.xml

Step 2 - Create the csv file with the events
    1. Download the ExportEvtCSV.zip file, which contains the script ExportEvtCSV.ps1 and unzip it, on your Desktop.
      It's not a fancy script, just basic PowerShell commands to create a csv file on the Desktop.
    2. In Windows Search, type “ISE” (without the quotes) to open “Windows PowerShell ISE” and Run as administrator
    3. To allow running the script, change the ExecutionPolicy, for this session. To do that, in the Console pane type:
      Code:
      Code:
      Set-ExecutionPolicy -Scope Process -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -force
    4. In the Windows PowerShell ISE, open and run the script: ExportEvtCSV.ps1
      The script will create a csv file with a name YYYYMMDD.HHMM.csv on the Desktop
    5. When done, open the newly created .csv file, format the columns as needed and optionally save it as .xlsx, if you wish.
    That’s it! You now have all the Administrative Events in Excel for filtering and further analysis. Chrome & IE Export Script :)

Now to the more technical hard stuff... *Confused

There is a reason for running the script from within PowerShell ISE!

It would be great if everything was also working perfectly, when running the script from an elevated PowerShell too.

We can run it from an elevated PowerShell, which means that you just follow the Step 1, as above but for the Step 2 instead of the ISE you run the script from an elevated PowerShell.

The problem is that it will work only for anybody who has en-US format for the dates. Everyone else, who has another format (i.e. en-GB, fr-FR, el-GR etc.), the dates are not translated properly by Excel (although the script uses the –UseCulture switch) and remain as text in the en-US format.

I'm not sure if this a bug of the "export-csv" cmdlet, but although it runs the way it supposed to from within the ISE, from PowerShell there is a problem with the dates format.
    As I haven’t found a way to overcome this obstacle, any suggestion from the PowerShell gurus of the forum (like my good friend Shawn @Brink, for instance), is welcome.

ddelo, Jan 21, 2020
  3. kgaouette Win User
    Exporting Bookmarks from Edge to Chrome

I don't want to be repetitive but it seems that some have missed the links to the very helpful work done by Emmet Gray. I also wanted to provide a simpler, step by step guide.

Kudos to Emmet Gray for the creating The Export Edge Bookmarks Tool. He shared both the code for power users and a simple .exe to extract favorites from the ESE database and export them to a standards-based "bookmark.htm" file. See www.emmet-gray.com/Articles/EdgeExport.html

Chrome and other browsers don't play nice with HTM files so you might need to convert to HTML. I am sure there are many ways to do this but Adobe makes this easy for anyone. Just use Acrobat (Arobat DC) to export to HTML

Steps:

Now you have HTML file that can be edited and imported into another browser. But don't abandon Edge yet!

Update!

Thank you Firefox! Mozilla Firefox Version 44.0.2 now allows direct import from Microsoft Edge. Once in Firefox favorites can be exported to any browser.

kgaouette, Jan 21, 2020
  4. mbmeadows Win User

Constant script errors and slow loading pages in 10 internet explorer 11

I have done the steps listed above. They have not helped and I am still getting constant script errors, along with slow loading pages. Are there any other suggestions?

mbmeadows, Jan 21, 2020
Thema:

1. Chrome & IE Export Script - Similar Threads - Chrome Export Script

2. IE and Chrome issue

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    IE and Chrome issue: Hi Team, Am unable to get sign in info Username and Password for SSO to open oracle form in Internet explorer and Chrome where the same is working in Mozilla Firefox. Brief Description: when we click on Oracle URL in IE and Chrome, we are directly getting authentication...
  3. IE issue - unable to export the report from IE 11 in excel

in Windows 10 Customization
    IE issue - unable to export the report from IE 11 in excel: Hi all, I have an issue exporting reports from IE 11 to excel. Configuration: OS Version: Windows 10 Browser version: IE 11 Web Application: Oracle Enterprise Performance Management Workspace MS Excel version: Office 365 v 16.0 Steps to reproduce the Issue: 1. Open...
  4. Difficulty exporting Google Chrome Bookmarks

in Browsers and Email
    Difficulty exporting Google Chrome Bookmarks: I have version 74.0.3729.157 on my computer, which I wish to temporarily un-install, and then install the latest offering for 64bit systems. The current version may have been compromised. I have reached the bookmark manager, but can not see the option to export the...
  5. Difficulty exporting Google Chrome Bookmarks

in Windows 10 Support
    Difficulty exporting Google Chrome Bookmarks: I have version 74.0.3729.157 on my computer, which I wish to temporarily un-install, and then install the latest offering for 64bit systems. I have reached the bookmark manager, but can not see the option to export the bookmarks. If someone has had this problem here, I hope...
  6. Can't change language script in IE 11.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't change language script in IE 11.: Internet explorer -> internet option -> fonts -> language script. in the above section, I changed language script from Latin based to Korean. But my change is never saved. so, I can't read any sentence due to the font error. I tried to change other options. but it...
  7. IE 11 shows as Chrome 39

in Browsers and Email
    IE 11 shows as Chrome 39: Hi all. What's the story behind IE 11 showing as Chrome 39? Whether or not I change to flags in IE 11, per this article, I notice that IE 11 is seen as being Chrome. Any news about why? [img] I have another Win 8.1 laptop with IE11, and it reports as IE 11 on Win...
  8. Keep getting a script error in IE

in Browsers and Email
    Keep getting a script error in IE: I get the script error shown in the attached jpg file both in my desktop and my Lenovo laptop. Any ideas? [img] 36334
  9. Chrome instead IE

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome instead IE: Hi all, I have several links created with Internet Explorer. (links are Website and not Url) I now work with chrom. My question is how to ensure that these links are embarking with chrom and not internet explorer Thank you 18770
  10. Export Saved Passwords in Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Export Saved Passwords in Google Chrome: How to: Export Saved Passwords in Google Chrome How to Export Saved Passwords in Google Chrome You can have Google Chrome remember your passwords for different sites. Whenever you sign in to a website, Chrome asks if you want to save your account info for that site....