Windows 10: Chrome New Tab page wrong name

Discus and support Chrome New Tab page wrong name in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi guys, i'm trying to fix a problem I noticed today. Instead of showing "New Tab" when I open a new tab on Google Chrome, it's showing on the tab name... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by rofl48, Mar 15, 2017.

1. rofl48 Win User

Chrome New Tab page wrong name

Hi guys, i'm trying to fix a problem I noticed today. Instead of showing "New Tab" when I open a new tab on Google Chrome, it's showing on the tab name chrome://newtab.
    I've tried using the Google Chrome Installer to fix this, but no success. In the anonymous mode, this is working properly.
    Any tips on how to fix this ? Thanks

:)

rofl48, Mar 15, 2017

2. Bing Hijacked my Chrome Browser

I have the same issue. I'm using Chrome browser on windows 10 os. Yesterday, when I open a new tab in Chrome, I get the chrome new tab page, with my name and account options at the top right...as usual. Today, the new tab page opens without any account
    designation, although it says I am logged in to Google. Otherwise the page looks the same. However, when I try to search, I get Bing instead of Google, with no way to change it.

I tried, Chrome > Settings > Search > Manage search engines,
    but the only choice is %s - Bing, my Google.com search engine has disappeared, and the page will not let me add it.

I don't appreciate being hijacked by Bing...how do I get rid of this?? Any help would be appreciated...thank you!

Phoenixlives, Mar 15, 2017
  3. In Windows 10/1709 how can I remove Bing from my Laptop?

-

* Right-click the Chrome tile/icon you're using > Properties > Shortcut > Target. Target should be

"C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"

or

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" (64-bit system)

not

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"
    http://www.bing.com

(or similar)

* Also *

Check the Home page and New tab page.

* Chrome > 3 dots > Settings > Show home button (on) .

* New tab page, select either New tab page or custom address. Enter the page you want to see.

* (Farther down) On startup > make a selection

* Search engine > make a selection

Don

Don Varnau, Mar 15, 2017
  4. Chrome New Tab page wrong name

Hi rolf

You might try this

Under Settings, Appearance try setting New tab to some specific page. Open a few. Then close chrome and go Back in and set it to New tab and see if that clears it.

Failing that you might try clearing browser data and resetting Browser, very bottom of advance settings.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 15, 2017
  5. rofl48 Win User
    Tried both, didn't work.

rofl48, Mar 15, 2017
  6. Do you use a lot of extensions? Is one related to URL's.

If you type chrome://about in the address bar you will get a listing. The new tab is chrome://newtab. You seem to be getting the raw URL instead of the shorten pretty name.

I don't see where this is set.

Caledon Ken, Mar 15, 2017
  7. I don't know if I am allowed to post here, but I have the same issue on win 7. There is a similar post on toms hardware as well, about this issue. This just suddenly appeared out of the blue a few hours ago, didn't install or change anything.

Here is a gif: https://i.gyazo.com/28d4f8874f0761ad...91bfdf1df6.gif

It used to stay on "New Tab"

felixthemaster1, Mar 16, 2017
  8. rofl48 Win User

I've even uninstalled Chrome and deleted all the user stuff. Didn't work. It's a strange thing, if I hit home button (my home is new tab), it works fine.

rofl48, Mar 16, 2017
  9. rofl48 Win User
    That's exactly what's happening here. I'm starting to think it's something server sided. I'll take a look at Tom's hardware also.

rofl48, Mar 16, 2017
  10. Hi rofl48.

I'm having the same issue and I have no clue for what could have caused this change in my Google Chrome. I tried everything but nothing solved the problem. Here's an image of my front page, it used to be "New Tab" not this strange "chrome://newtab". Keep us informed if you find a solution, if I find anything usefull I'll also bring it to here.

The image:
    Chrome New Tab page wrong name [​IMG]

Adriel Klein, Mar 16, 2017
  11. rofl48 Win User
    I did a search on Twitter, a lot of people are experiencing this today. I think it's a server issue, nothing we can do about it. My Chrome was also flawless until today.

rofl48, Mar 16, 2017
  12. Good to know. I guess it will be fixed on its own.

felixthemaster1, Mar 16, 2017
  13. Chrome New Tab page wrong name

That's kinda good to hear, I was worried that could be some kind of malicious extension or something like that.

Adriel Klein, Mar 16, 2017
  14. rofl48 Win User
    It's not, I only use ADP and it's happening here.

rofl48, Mar 16, 2017
  15. Jeddie Win User
    Same on my Chome browse. Started last night.

Jeddie, Mar 16, 2017
Thema:

1. Chrome New Tab page wrong name - Similar Threads - Chrome Tab page

2. Edge Chromium New tab page

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Chromium New tab page: Just wanted to see some responses that do you think MS Edge will have an option to use a Blank page instead of that annoying MS search bar? Thats one of the reasons I switched to using Firefox. 181404
  3. Chrome's Broken New Tab Page on Edge

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Chrome's Broken New Tab Page on Edge: [ATTACH] This is so weird. You can even you Google Voice Search and the design scheme is Google's. I guess this is Microsoft and this is to be expected. Chrome's Broken New Tab Page Edge New Tab Page submitted by /u/m_beps [link] [comments]...
  4. Hide or Show Shortcuts on New Tab Page in Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hide or Show Shortcuts on New Tab Page in Google Chrome: How to: Hide or Show Shortcuts on New Tab Page in Google Chrome How to Hide or Show Shortcuts on New Tab Page in Google Chrome When you open a new tab Ctrl+N in Google Chrome, you will see shortcuts of websites you visit often by default under the search box. When...
  5. Enable or Disable New Tab Page Customization Menu in Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable New Tab Page Customization Menu in Google Chrome: How to: Enable or Disable New Tab Page Customization Menu in Google Chrome How to Enable or Disable New Tab Page Customization Menu version 2 in Google Chrome When you have Google set as your default search engine in Google Chrome, you can open a New Tab page Ctrl+N in...
  6. Enable or Disable Color and Theme for New Tab Page in Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Color and Theme for New Tab Page in Google Chrome: How to: Enable or Disable Color and Theme for New Tab Page in Google Chrome How to Enable or Disable Color and Theme for New Tab Page Customize Menu in Google Chrome When you have Google set as your default search engine in Google Chrome, you can open a New Tab page...
  7. Ms edge new tab page.

in Browsers and Email
    Ms edge new tab page.: In windows 1607 ms edge does not have an option to make google.com the new tab page. Does anyone know how to do this. Henry Attachment 95508 59826
  8. Enable or Disable New Tab Page Material Design UI in Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable New Tab Page Material Design UI in Google Chrome: How to: Enable or Disable New Tab Page Material Design UI in Google Chrome How to Enable or Disable New Tab Page Material Design UI in Google Chrome This tutorial is no longer valid in the latest Google Chrome. Google Chrome has a new Material Design refresh UI....
  9. Enable or Disable Changing New Tab Page Background in Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Changing New Tab Page Background in Google Chrome: How to: Enable or Disable Changing New Tab Page Background in Google Chrome How to Enable or Disable Changing New Tab Page Background in Google Chrome in Windows This tutorial is no longer valid in the latest Google Chrome. Starting with default search engine....
  10. Change New Tab page in Firefox

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change New Tab page in Firefox: How to: Change New Tab page in Firefox How to Change New Tab page in Firefox in Windows When you open a Firefox Home screen by default. The Top Sites (sites you visit most), popular articles Recommended by Pocket, Highlights (sites you've visited recently or...