Windows 10: Chrome New Tab page wrong name

Discus and support Chrome New Tab page wrong name in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi guys, i'm trying to fix a problem I noticed today. Instead of showing "New Tab" when I open a new tab on Google Chrome, it's showing on the tab name... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by rofl48, Mar 15, 2017.

1. rofl48 Win User

Chrome New Tab page wrong name

Hi guys, i'm trying to fix a problem I noticed today. Instead of showing "New Tab" when I open a new tab on Google Chrome, it's showing on the tab name chrome://newtab.
    I've tried using the Google Chrome Installer to fix this, but no success. In the anonymous mode, this is working properly.
    Any tips on how to fix this ? Thanks

:)

rofl48, Mar 15, 2017

2. Bing Hijacked my Chrome Browser

I have the same issue. I'm using Chrome browser on windows 10 os. Yesterday, when I open a new tab in Chrome, I get the chrome new tab page, with my name and account options at the top right...as usual. Today, the new tab page opens without any account
    designation, although it says I am logged in to Google. Otherwise the page looks the same. However, when I try to search, I get Bing instead of Google, with no way to change it.

I tried, Chrome > Settings > Search > Manage search engines,
    but the only choice is %s - Bing, my Google.com search engine has disappeared, and the page will not let me add it.

I don't appreciate being hijacked by Bing...how do I get rid of this?? Any help would be appreciated...thank you!

Phoenixlives, Mar 15, 2017
  3. In Windows 10/1709 how can I remove Bing from my Laptop?

-

* Right-click the Chrome tile/icon you're using > Properties > Shortcut > Target. Target should be

"C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"

or

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" (64-bit system)

not

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"
    http://www.bing.com

(or similar)

* Also *

Check the Home page and New tab page.

* Chrome > 3 dots > Settings > Show home button (on) .

* New tab page, select either New tab page or custom address. Enter the page you want to see.

* (Farther down) On startup > make a selection

* Search engine > make a selection

Don

Don Varnau, Mar 15, 2017
  4. Chrome New Tab page wrong name

Hi rolf

You might try this

Under Settings, Appearance try setting New tab to some specific page. Open a few. Then close chrome and go Back in and set it to New tab and see if that clears it.

Failing that you might try clearing browser data and resetting Browser, very bottom of advance settings.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 15, 2017
  5. rofl48 Win User
    Tried both, didn't work.

rofl48, Mar 15, 2017
  6. Do you use a lot of extensions? Is one related to URL's.

If you type chrome://about in the address bar you will get a listing. The new tab is chrome://newtab. You seem to be getting the raw URL instead of the shorten pretty name.

I don't see where this is set.

Caledon Ken, Mar 15, 2017
  7. I don't know if I am allowed to post here, but I have the same issue on win 7. There is a similar post on toms hardware as well, about this issue. This just suddenly appeared out of the blue a few hours ago, didn't install or change anything.

Here is a gif: https://i.gyazo.com/28d4f8874f0761ad...91bfdf1df6.gif

It used to stay on "New Tab"

felixthemaster1, Mar 16, 2017
  8. rofl48 Win User

I've even uninstalled Chrome and deleted all the user stuff. Didn't work. It's a strange thing, if I hit home button (my home is new tab), it works fine.

rofl48, Mar 16, 2017
  9. rofl48 Win User
    That's exactly what's happening here. I'm starting to think it's something server sided. I'll take a look at Tom's hardware also.

rofl48, Mar 16, 2017
  10. Hi rofl48.

I'm having the same issue and I have no clue for what could have caused this change in my Google Chrome. I tried everything but nothing solved the problem. Here's an image of my front page, it used to be "New Tab" not this strange "chrome://newtab". Keep us informed if you find a solution, if I find anything usefull I'll also bring it to here.

The image:
    Chrome New Tab page wrong name [​IMG]

Adriel Klein, Mar 16, 2017
  11. rofl48 Win User
    I did a search on Twitter, a lot of people are experiencing this today. I think it's a server issue, nothing we can do about it. My Chrome was also flawless until today.

rofl48, Mar 16, 2017
  12. Good to know. I guess it will be fixed on its own.

felixthemaster1, Mar 16, 2017
  13. Chrome New Tab page wrong name

That's kinda good to hear, I was worried that could be some kind of malicious extension or something like that.

Adriel Klein, Mar 16, 2017
  14. rofl48 Win User
    It's not, I only use ADP and it's happening here.

rofl48, Mar 16, 2017
  15. Jeddie Win User
    Same on my Chome browse. Started last night.

Jeddie, Mar 16, 2017
Thema:

1. Chrome New Tab page wrong name - Similar Threads - Chrome Tab page

2. Tabbed pages on top.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Tabbed pages on top.: I have pages on top of my screen and do not know where the tab button is o turn that feature off. It is very annoying when it happens. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tabbed-pages-on-top/63845b32-ea82-4e30-8ea5-3e25c40a2a38
  3. Chrome keeps opening new tabs when I am on certain web pages

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Chrome keeps opening new tabs when I am on certain web pages: Today morning I noticed than when I open Yahoo email or Facebook web pages, Chrome keeps opening new tabs. As a result, I cannot read or write an email. Other web pages seem OK for now. I scanned my laptop (windows 10) by defender and superantispyware and found nothing. Is it...
  4. Google Chrome Canary on Windows 10 gets new dark tab, downloads page

in Windows 10 News
    Google Chrome Canary on Windows 10 gets new dark tab, downloads page: Multiple reports and findings last year revealed that Google Chrome is slated to support a built-in dark mode on Windows 10 soon. Currently, the search engine giant is testing this feature in Chrome Beta and Canary distributions. Dark theme is a new trend and it’s quite...
  5. Sign in to Chrome new tab randomly appearing

in Browsers and Email
    Sign in to Chrome new tab randomly appearing: This just started a couple of days ago, but every now and then when I open Chrome I'll get a new tab open automatically, and it will ask me to sign in to Chrome. I'm already signed in, and syncing everything, so why would it ask me to sign in again? Is this by design? I...
  6. Bing Search Bar in Edge's New Tab page

in Browsers and Email
    Bing Search Bar in Edge's New Tab page: Good day, For some reason the Bing Search bar appeard on the New Tab page while there wasn't a search bar before. I don't know what the trigger is, perhaps Windows updates. I have even chosen Google as the standers search engine in the address bar itself. I remember this...
  7. tabs question for chrome

in Browsers and Email
    tabs question for chrome: Looking for something similar to this extension for chrome Openintabs-erase //addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/openintabs-erase/ . Also, is there a way to set up tabs so they appear on the bottom of bookbark bar instead of on top? If yes, how plz thx 59583
  8. Ms edge new tab page.

in Browsers and Email
    Ms edge new tab page.: In windows 1607 ms edge does not have an option to make google.com the new tab page. Does anyone know how to do this. Henry Attachment 95508 59826
  9. Set new tab to open a specifc page

in Browsers and Email
    Set new tab to open a specifc page: Everything I've found doing searches says this can't be done but I thought I'd give it one more try here. When I open a new tab, I want it to open to a specific web page. Not a blank page or Top sites. I'm not looking for alternatives or other ways to do the same...
  10. Router page opening in new tab instead of Bing.com

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Router page opening in new tab instead of Bing.com: A few days ago our internet wires were accidentally pulled from the wall. Called the company and said they'd send someone the next day to fix it. I opened Firefox to do some offline reading, clicked new tab, which is set to Bing.com, knowing it would open an error...