Windows 10: Chrome not correctly displaying vowels with diacritics

Discus and support Chrome not correctly displaying vowels with diacritics in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I am having a problem displaying text from a certain site in Google Chrome and I am not sure if it is a Windows problem, a Chrome problem, or a problem... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by ricecrispies, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Chrome not correctly displaying vowels with diacritics

I am having a problem displaying text from a certain site in Google Chrome and I am not sure if it is a Windows problem, a Chrome problem, or a problem with the site in question.

What happens is that when I open a page from the site containing a Japanese name written with a vowel marked with a macron, namely ō, ī or ū, I see a question mark instead of that vowel. For instance this page contains the name "Abutsu-bō", but Chrome shows "Abutsu-b?".

This only happens with Chrome. It does not happen with Firefox or Edge. And it started only very recently.

Even if I disable all my Chrome extensions and then shift-reload the page, I still see question marks instead of the vowels with macrons.

I do not have this problem if I log into Windows as another user and access the same pages using Chrome.

I am able to type the vowels in question into the search box on any of the pages from that site without problem, even though those same vowels are displayed incorrectly in the text itself on the page in question. I also tried loading a page containing Maōri words, which use the same characters to represent long vowels, and that too displayed without problem.

I am using Windows version 20H2. I use British English by default for my Windows sessions.

Where does the problem lie, and how can I fix it?

:)

ricecrispies, Nov 9, 2020

2. Chrome not correctly displaying vowels with diacritics

I am having a problem displaying text from a certain site in Google Chrome and I am not sure if it is a Windows problem, a Chrome problem, or a problem with the site in question.

What happens is that when I open a page from the site containing a Japanese name written with a vowel marked with a macron, namely ō, ī or ū, I see a question mark instead of that vowel. For instance this page contains the name "Abutsu-bō", but Chrome shows "Abutsu-b?".

This only happens with Chrome. It does not happen with Firefox or Edge. And it started only very recently.

Even if I disable all my Chrome extensions and then shift-reload the page, I still see question marks instead of the vowels with macrons.

I do not have this problem if I log into Windows as another user and access the same pages using Chrome.

I am able to type the vowels in question into the search box on any of the pages from that site without problem, even though those same vowels are displayed incorrectly in the text itself on the page in question. I also tried loading a page containing Maōri words, which use the same characters to represent long vowels, and that too displayed without problem.

I am using Windows version 20H2. I use British English by default for my Windows sessions.

Where does the problem lie, and how can I fix it?

ricecrispies, Nov 9, 2020
  3. steve108 Win User
    Chrome not correctly displaying vowels with diacritics

I'm using US English and see the name correctly in Chrome, but with ? in Firefox - the opposite of what you described above. I would suggest asking Google about this if that's the one showing incorrectly for you.

steve108, Nov 9, 2020
  4. Chrome not correctly displaying vowels with diacritics

Have microsoft word 10 and looking for the diacritical marks for short and long vowel sounds that are inserted above the letter.

Original Title: diacritical marks

I have microsoft word 10 and am looking for the diacritical marks for short and long vowel sounds that are inserted above the letter. Can't seem to get it???

DarleneNCG, Nov 9, 2020
Thema:

Chrome not correctly displaying vowels with diacritics

1. Chrome not correctly displaying vowels with diacritics - Similar Threads - Chrome correctly displaying

2. vowel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    vowel: Vowel new Add the Vedic Svar https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vowel/e7acca3c-ff9e-4bb6-9393-7acfa229b445
  3. vowel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    vowel: Vowel new Add the Vedic Svar https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vowel/e7acca3c-ff9e-4bb6-9393-7acfa229b445
  4. Win10 Writing Hebrew with Vowels

Win10 Writing Hebrew with Vowels: I have installed the Hebrew language pack and have a physical Hebrew keyboard. How do I type vowels nikkudot in MS Word? There used to be two keyboards, Hebrew with vowels and Hebrew Standard Without, but now there is only one, and I cannot figure out how to access the...
  5. Not being able to type diacritics.

Not being able to type diacritics.: I use the Afrikaans keyboard but I can't seem to type diacritics with it? I went to the windows page where it showed the shortcuts for diacritics but they simply do not work for me I am on win10 btw, any help? Because it's annoying needing to google and copypaste characters...
  6. Not being able to type diacritics.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Not being able to type diacritics.: I use the Afrikaans keyboard but I can't seem to type diacritics with it? I went to the windows page where it showed the shortcuts for diacritics but they simply do not work for me I am on win10 btw, any help? Because it's annoying needing to google and copypaste characters...
  7. Text not displaying correctly in Chrome on Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Text not displaying correctly in Chrome on Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]If the Fonts or Text is not displaying correctly in the Google Chrome browser on Windows 11/10 then this post may be able to help you. The issue could occur if the Font settings have been disturbed. Text not displaying correctly in Chrome on Windows 11/10 To fix text...
  8. Writing Hebrew Vowel Symbols

in Windows 10 Customization
    Writing Hebrew Vowel Symbols: Good Morning, How do I write Hebrew vowel symbols ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/writing-hebrew-vowel-symbols/41463d2e-33b6-4b21-9d97-57502ffdde50
  9. Chrome not correctly displaying vowels with diacritics

Chrome not correctly displaying vowels with diacritics: I am having a problem displaying text from a certain site in Google Chrome and I am not sure if it is a Windows problem, a Chrome problem, or a problem with the site in question. What happens is that when I open a page from the site containing a Japanese name written with a...
  10. How to correctly display the French diacritic signs in .srt and .ssa in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to correctly display the French diacritic signs in .srt and .ssa in Windows 10?: I am translating movie subs using Subtitle Edit and Subtitle Workshop. But in the .srt and .ssa files, the French diacritic signs are not displayed correctly. Precisely, it's about four diacritic sign, é, ê, ï and ç. Whatever I do, manually replacing them, replacing them with...