Windows 10: Chrome not opening after System Restore

Discus and support Chrome not opening after System Restore in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; This PC is running Winver 1909 (OS Build 18363.1082) The original problem which led to a System Restore on my machine was an Application Error when... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by VBF, Nov 14, 2020.

1. VBF
    VBF Win User

Chrome not opening after System Restore

This PC is running Winver 1909 (OS Build 18363.1082)

The original problem which led to a System Restore on my machine was an Application Error when opening Settings and attempting to use the System control. Initially, Restart appeared to fix it, but it recurred later

From the Event Log:
    Application pop-up: SystemSettings.exe - Application Error : The exception unknown software exception (0x40000015) occurred in the application at location 0x00007FFB0BAFAE72.
    Click on OK to terminate the program

Searching led to:
    How to Fix Unknown Software Exception 0x40000015 Error on Windows?

From there it says:
    The 0x40000015 Unknown Software Exception error might show up when using any program. The main reasons that trigger the error:
    corrupted system files;
    incomplete installation of software;
    updates installation problems;
    incorrect uninstall;
    accidental removal or replacement of Windows registry

It was decided to Restore the system to a known good point in time in this case, 2 days previous.

After performing the System Restore, was unable to open Chrome Browser click on it and it does nothing, whether from Start, Task bar or directly opening executable.

The fix was to download the ChromeSetup (using another browser to get to it), run the setup which had the effect of repairing the existing Chrome installation, leaving all settings intact (Home pages, Bookmarks, Extensions)

The reason I put this down to the Restore is that, oddly, Id been involved with an identical failure of Chrome not starting immediately after a System Restore on another, totally separate PC some 12 hours earlier.

THAT PC is running Winver 20H2 (OS Build 19042.630) The fix was identical to above i.e. running ChromeSetup and effectively repairing Chrome

So apparently, after performing a System Restore on 2, totally isolated machines, Google Chrome got corrupted on both of them!

:)

2. Dave____J Win User

chrome will not open

IK reinstalled the KB and a Silverlight update, no luck. I tried to remove chrome , again, using the suggested tool. Chrome was not on the list, I selected not listed. It wanted the product code. A quick internet search did not find it. I removed chrome
    using the add and remove programs.,reinstalled chrome and ran the clean up tool, no malware. chrome now opens.. I have signed in and it is working. The second removal worked. thx

Dave____J, Nov 14, 2020
  3. glivo Win User
    System Restore fails: AppxStaging %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApp 0x80070091

Steps taken.
    Part 1/
    Install W10. User -Test (No additional updates. No OEM drivers)
    Create Restore Point -"Pristine"
    Make a system alteration. ie; D/L and Install Google Chrome.
    System Restore to RP "Pristine". (Note: Chrome should be gone.)
    Successful. Chrome is gone and Edge reset. ??? Chromesetup file removed from \downloads??? Why???
    New Restore Point - "Undo Restore" created by system.

Step 2/
    D/L and install KB3213986. Reboot.
    Make a system alteration. ie; D/L and Install Google Chrome.
    Create Restore Point - "Update 1 Chrome"
    Make a system alteration. Uninstall Chrome.
    System Restore. (Note: Chrome should come back but may not work correctly.)
    Fail. 0x80070091

To me that represents a conclusive result.

The next obvious thing to do was to roll back the Update, assuming that this will fix System Restore. However, rolling back the Update DID NOT restore the functionality of System Restore. So now my confident claim, above, is a bit shaky. If performing the update does in fact cause the issue, removing it doesn't put it right.

So now, the next obvious thing is to perform the WindowsApps rename or deletion process, to apply the fix, and run a series of testing to see if System Restore becomes stable.

Results.
    Performing the WindowsApps rename fix, instead of deleting it this time, once again resulted in System Restore operating correctly. I have been able to install the remaining updates and flip back and forth between Restore Points without issue.

At this point I am done with it. My testing shows that:
    • It is update KB3213986 that causes the problem to occur in the first instance.
    • Rolling back the update does not correct the problem.
    • Performing the known fix returns System Restore functionality.
    • For how long, we don't yet know.

Should you wish to rename the WindowsApps directory rather than delete it, the attrib WindowsApps -h command line can only be performed after the icacls command line.

glivo, Nov 14, 2020
  4. Mark Ole Win User

Missing icons / buttons after System Restore

Hi Terrie,

To address your concern, we suggest that you try to undo the restore or pick another restore point.

Please follow these steps to access system restore:

• Right-click (or press and hold) the Start button, and then select Control Panel.
    • Search Control Panel for Recovery.
    • Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.

Let us know how it goes.

Mark Ole, Nov 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Chrome not opening after System Restore - Similar Threads - Chrome opening System

2. Google Chrome won't install after system restore .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Google Chrome won't install after system restore .: Hello. I have Windows 10 and my default browser was Google Chrome. There was some issue with my computer so i did a system restore. After system restore, clicking Google Chrome icon fails to open chrome. Now, i'm trying to re-install Chrome using first Edge and then Firefox...
  3. Google Chrome won't install after system restore .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Google Chrome won't install after system restore .: Hello. I have Windows 10 and my default browser was Google Chrome. There was some issue with my computer so i did a system restore. After system restore, clicking Google Chrome icon fails to open chrome. Now, i'm trying to re-install Chrome using first Edge and then Firefox...
  4. Google Chrome won't install after system restore .

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Google Chrome won't install after system restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Google Chrome won't install after system restore: Hello. I have Windows 10 and my default browser was Google Chrome. There was some issue with my computer so i did a system restore. After system restore, I can't find my Google Chrome icon. Went to ALL PROGRAMS and i can't find Chrome there.Now, i'm trying to re-install...
  6. Google Chrome won't install after system restore

Google Chrome won't install after system restore: Hello. I have Windows 10 and my default browser was Google Chrome. There was some issue with my computer so i did a system restore. After system restore, I can't find my Google Chrome icon. Went to ALL PROGRAMS and i can't find Chrome there.Now, i'm trying to re-install...
  7. Google Chrome won't install after system restore

8. Issues Opening Files After System Restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues Opening Files After System Restore: After doing a system restore, I would try to open files, such as a text document, and receive the "Windows cannot find ***.txt. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again". I restarted the PC which didn't fix the problem. I then opened notepad itself, closed...
  9. Issues Opening Files After System Restore

Issues Opening Files After System Restore: After doing a system restore, I would try to open files, such as a text document, and receive the "Windows cannot find ***.txt. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again". I restarted the PC which didn't fix the problem. I then opened notepad itself, closed...
  10. Applications are not opening after system restore...

Applications are not opening after system restore...: Hi there,Applications are not opening after system restore it is just loading loading and keep one Like Notion when I opened the it is loading.....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. chrome doesnt open after system restore how to restore chrome

2. after system retore chrome stops working