Windows 10: Chrome Opening Even Though Turned Off

Discus and support Chrome Opening Even Though Turned Off in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Chrome is continuing to open up even though it is not the default page. It is preventing me from being able to drill down on webpages. It is almost... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Barb_2421, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Barb_2421 Win User

Chrome Opening Even Though Turned Off

Chrome is continuing to open up even though it is not the default page. It is preventing me from being able to drill down on webpages. It is almost like Chrome has highjacked my computer. Help. I can't get work done until I get this fixed.

:)

Barb_2421, Apr 27, 2020
  2. Dave____J Win User

chrome will not open

IK reinstalled the KB and a Silverlight update, no luck. I tried to remove chrome , again, using the suggested tool. Chrome was not on the list, I selected not listed. It wanted the product code. A quick internet search did not find it. I removed chrome
    using the add and remove programs.,reinstalled chrome and ran the clean up tool, no malware. chrome now opens.. I have signed in and it is working. The second removal worked. thx

Dave____J, May 23, 2020
  3. Chrome glitch

Hello Ralph,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description on one of the three users Chrome is not working.
    I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• The account on which you are facing issue with Chrome, does it have the administrator permission?
    • Have you check with other browser? Was the result same?
    • Is the issue specific to only one application or facing issue with other application too?

First, I would suggest you to use Internet Explorer and see if it brings any difference.
    Here are the steps through which you can use Internet Explorer.

• Press the Windows key.

• Type Internet Explorer in the search box.

• Right click on Internet Explorer
      (Desktop app).

• Select Pint to task bar.

• Try to use Internet Explorer from there and see if it brings any difference.

If you still want to use Chrome then I would suggest you to open the application Chrome in administrator mode and see if it brings any difference. Here are the steps through which you can open Chrome in Administrator mode.

• Press the Windows key or click on Start icon.
    • Type Google Chrome.
    • Right click on Google Chrome and select the option to Run As Administrator.
    • If everything works fine by running chrome in administrator mode then you may pin it to the task bar.

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, May 23, 2020
  4. Chrome Opening Even Though Turned Off

Chrome not even opening anymore

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• Are you able to open other browser like Internet explorer and Edge?
    This issue may arise due to some corruption in Chrome installation files. I suggest you to try installing Google Chrome in compatibility mode and check if it works. Compatibility mode runs the program using settings
    from a previous version of Windows. Follow these steps to install the program in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

• Download the setup file from the Google Chrome website.
    • Right-click on the .exe setup file and click on ‘Properties’.
    • Click on the ‘Compatibility’ tab and check the box
      ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’
      and select Windows 7/8/8.1 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, May 23, 2020
Thema:

Chrome Opening Even Though Turned Off

1. Chrome Opening Even Though Turned Off - Similar Threads - Chrome Opening Though

2. Even though the Window Key is not physically pressed, it keeps turning off and on.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Even though the Window Key is not physically pressed, it keeps turning off and on.: Hello, After receiving the updates 4-5 days ago, the start menu constantly opens and closes on our Asus FX505 series computers and some Lenovo devices, even though the Windows button is not pressed. We have created a temporary solution via Regedit that renders the start...
  3. Even though the Window Key is not physically pressed, it keeps turning off and on.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Even though the Window Key is not physically pressed, it keeps turning off and on.: Hello, After receiving the updates 4-5 days ago, the start menu constantly opens and closes on our Asus FX505 series computers and some Lenovo devices, even though the Windows button is not pressed. We have created a temporary solution via Regedit that renders the start...
  4. Smart App Control was automatically turned off even though it was on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Smart App Control was automatically turned off even though it was on: I noticed that Smart App Control stopped working when not preventing strange applications from working, I remember yesterday I installed an update for Windows KB5031455...
  5. Smart App Control was automatically turned off even though it was on

Smart App Control was automatically turned off even though it was on: I noticed that Smart App Control stopped working when not preventing strange applications from working, I remember yesterday I installed an update for Windows KB5031455...
  6. Windows transparency not turning off even though i flipped the switch in the...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows transparency not turning off even though i flipped the switch in the...: I don't understand why? I didn't even turn it on to begin with. It started a couple days ago and its was just such an annoyance that i had to google it what was happening. So.. flipped the switch restarted the computer and its still doing it. How do i turn this off when its...
  7. Audio is stuck at voice cancellation mode even though it's turned off

Audio is stuck at voice cancellation mode even though it's turned off: I just bought a new microphone and installed it but I thought I plugged it trough the rear microphone jack but instead the rear audio jack I thought no big deal I'll just switch it out then when I was testing my microphone I wondered why I can only hear static noises and...
  8. UAC blocking me after upgrade, even though it's turned off

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    UAC blocking me after upgrade, even though it's turned off: In my main admin account, UAB blocks Device Manager and Disk Manager -- even though I've turned off UAC in User Account Control Settings. AFAIK, this happened only after the problem filled forced upgrade in March from 1909 to 2004 19041.1). I did enable the hidden admin...
  9. App and game limits being enforced for chrome, even though they are turned off

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    App and game limits being enforced for chrome, even though they are turned off: Both of my child's accounts asked for time for Google Chrome this morning. Nothing has been changed on the family features and app and game limits have always been off, but now, every 3 hours, they have to request a time extension [ATTACH] Can anyone shed any light on why...
  10. Recently opened folders shows even though its turned off

Recently opened folders shows even though its turned off: Hi! I hope i post this in the right section. Im new to Windows 10, coming from Windows 7. On my laptop running Windows 10 Home i have set the option for showing recently opened folders/programs to off. So when i right click a item on the task bar it shouldnt display recently...