Windows 10: Chrome opens with only a white screen

Discus and support Chrome opens with only a white screen in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently added RAM and upgraded my Windows 7 computer to Windows 10 Pro. Everything upgraded and worked fine, except Chrome. I have uninstalled and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AlabamaJack, May 10, 2020.

1. Chrome opens with only a white screen

I recently added RAM and upgraded my Windows 7 computer to Windows 10 Pro. Everything upgraded and worked fine, except Chrome. I have uninstalled and reinstall Google Chrome a number of times. The install seems to work fine with no error messages or hang ups. Then when I click on the Chrome logo to open the app, what opens is a blank white screen. I can move the mouse cursor around the white screen and in certain areas it turns from pointer or finger, like it normally would if I was hovering over a link. I can also move the cursor to the upper right corner of the white screen and I will see "Close", "Minimize", and "Maximize" as I hover over those areas. If I hover over the "Close" area and left click, the white screen closes, and the system tray at the bottom of my screen will then show Chrome as closed. It is as if Chrome is there and functioning, but the screen is not populating with words or graphics. Microsoft Edge does fine. As does Internet Explorer.

:)

AlabamaJack, May 10, 2020

2. Chrome opens as a white screen after Windows 10 install.

After installing windows 10, Chrome opens as a white screen. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, called Google support and tried some trouble shooting from them but it opens as a white screen. How can I fix this?

ElizabethMurphy3, May 10, 2020
  3. TewttewT Win User
    Google Chrome stuck on white screen

The issue seems to be hardware acceleration. At least in my case it was. I solved my problem by performing the steps below.

• Right click chrome shortcut and go to properties.
    • Click the Compatibility tab and run it in compatibility mode for Vista.
    • Open chrome then go to Settings>Advanced then under the
      System
      heading there is an option to disable hardware acceleration.
    After performing those steps you can stop using compatibility mode for vista.

Hopefully this works for you!

TewttewT, May 10, 2020
  4. lindalouk Win User

Chrome opens with only a white screen

Chrome---lots of white space at top of screen

Not exactly sure how to word this. When I go to Chrome, this is what I see, from top to bottom:

1. Tabs at very top.
    2. Address bar.
    3. Below address bar, huge amount of white space, then a line.
    4. Content.
    The huge white space takes up precious screen space. I want to get rid of it. At one point, Chrome/Google had some stuff there, which I deleted. But I cannot find a way to remove the white space. This wasn't there when I was running Windows 7 two weeks ago.
    Now I am running Windows 10.

Thanks.

lindalouk, May 10, 2020
Thema:

Chrome opens with only a white screen

1. Chrome opens with only a white screen - Similar Threads - Chrome opens white

2. Chrome will only open as Administrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chrome will only open as Administrator: I have 3 users so far that are unable to open Chrome. There is no error or pop up it thinks for a second then does nothing. It will open only when I right click on it and run it under my admin account . I have deleted the %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome folder Reinstalled...
  3. Chrome will only open as Administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Chrome will only open as Administrator: I have 3 users so far that are unable to open Chrome. There is no error or pop up it thinks for a second then does nothing. It will open only when I right click on it and run it under my admin account . I have deleted the %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome folder Reinstalled...
  4. Chrome will only open with a shortcut

Chrome will only open with a shortcut: Ever since I have gotten my pc February 2022 I have had this problem where chrome will not open unless I create a shortcut. What happens is I download chrome then after that, I run chrome and as soon as I run chrome it closes immediately. So to fix chrome I will first go into...
  5. Chrome will only open with a shortcut

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Chrome will only open with a shortcut: Ever since I have gotten my pc February 2022 I have had this problem where chrome will not open unless I create a shortcut. What happens is I download chrome then after that, I run chrome and as soon as I run chrome it closes immediately. So to fix chrome I will first go into...
  6. Chrome will only open with a shortcut

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Chrome will only open with a shortcut

8. Chrome will only open with a shortcut

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Only a white screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Only a white screen: Upon entering my password for my windows10, I am greeted with a blank white screen. This screen does not disappear even after 20min and nothing else will appear. Is this normal? Please don’t mind the OFFICIAL headline there that was a mistake submitted by /u/alphabetory...
  10. Chrome opens as a white screen after Windows 10 install.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Chrome opens as a white screen after Windows 10 install.: After installing windows 10, Chrome opens as a white screen. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, called Google support and tried some trouble shooting from them but it opens as a white screen. How can I fix this?...