Windows 10: Chrome stopped opening

Discus and support Chrome stopped opening in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10. Suddenly today I find I cannot open Chrome. I also cannot uninstall it because Windows apparently believes it is running... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ToddErickson1, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Chrome stopped opening

I'm running Windows 10. Suddenly today I find I cannot open Chrome. I also cannot uninstall it because Windows apparently believes it is running somewhere. Task Manager however says nothing is running except Edge (which I don't want to use). What's going on?

:)

ToddErickson1, Aug 18, 2019
  2. Dave____J Win User

chrome will not open

IK reinstalled the KB and a Silverlight update, no luck. I tried to remove chrome , again, using the suggested tool. Chrome was not on the list, I selected not listed. It wanted the product code. A quick internet search did not find it. I removed chrome
    using the add and remove programs.,reinstalled chrome and ran the clean up tool, no malware. chrome now opens.. I have signed in and it is working. The second removal worked. thx

Dave____J, Aug 18, 2019
  3. Chrome glitch

Hello Ralph,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description on one of the three users Chrome is not working.
    I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• The account on which you are facing issue with Chrome, does it have the administrator permission?
    • Have you check with other browser? Was the result same?
    • Is the issue specific to only one application or facing issue with other application too?

First, I would suggest you to use Internet Explorer and see if it brings any difference.
    Here are the steps through which you can use Internet Explorer.

• Press the Windows key.

• Type Internet Explorer in the search box.

• Right click on Internet Explorer
      (Desktop app).

• Select Pint to task bar.

• Try to use Internet Explorer from there and see if it brings any difference.

If you still want to use Chrome then I would suggest you to open the application Chrome in administrator mode and see if it brings any difference. Here are the steps through which you can open Chrome in Administrator mode.

• Press the Windows key or click on Start icon.
    • Type Google Chrome.
    • Right click on Google Chrome and select the option to Run As Administrator.
    • If everything works fine by running chrome in administrator mode then you may pin it to the task bar.

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Aug 18, 2019
  4. Chrome stopped opening

Chrome not even opening anymore

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• Are you able to open other browser like Internet explorer and Edge?
    This issue may arise due to some corruption in Chrome installation files. I suggest you to try installing Google Chrome in compatibility mode and check if it works. Compatibility mode runs the program using settings
    from a previous version of Windows. Follow these steps to install the program in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

• Download the setup file from the Google Chrome website.
    • Right-click on the .exe setup file and click on ‘Properties’.
    • Click on the ‘Compatibility’ tab and check the box
      ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’
      and select Windows 7/8/8.1 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Aug 18, 2019
Thema:

Chrome stopped opening

1. Chrome stopped opening - Similar Threads - Chrome stopped opening

2. Chrome not opening.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Chrome not opening.: After recently getting my new computer around 20/09 this year chrome hasn't been working. When I go to open chrome it shows a black window for about a millisecond and closes. I've tried to use firefox and the same issue happens. I have also tried excluding the app from my...
  3. chrome is not opening

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    chrome is not opening: help for solution https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chrome-is-not-opening/94f4272c-24d6-4f61-8939-85ac0d789336
  4. Chrome not opening

in Windows 10 Customization
    Chrome not opening: Hi, I just got a laptop with windows 10 and downloaded Chrome on it. But when I open that or any other browser downloaded from the internet it says you need a new app to open this ms-wpc link. I tried some of the troubleshooting steps online like th epowershell one but it...
  5. Chrome not opening

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Chrome not opening: My google chrome will not open, I have tried uninstalling and restarting my computer but nothing is working. No errors pop up itsimply wont open, any tips https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chrome-not-opening/e035fe75-9b25-4d9c-a8fe-35df297ce448
  6. chrome will not open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    chrome will not open: **** chrome will not work * Moved from Education https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chrome-will-not-open/c10fdabb-9e4b-44fe-88cd-378408baa957
  7. Opening Chrome

in Windows 10 Customization
    Opening Chrome: Why do I have to give permission for the Chrome "App to make changes to my device"? It isn't changing anything, it's just my search engine. Is there a way to stop this without disabling security?...
  8. Some of my hotkeys stopped working while Chrome is open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Some of my hotkeys stopped working while Chrome is open: Some of my hotkeys stopped working while Chrome is open. I installed ATK package and turned arrow buttons into hotkeys for the music. But they don’t work when Chrome is running. At the same time the keys F1-F12 are working. They are also hotkeys. I use Asus laptop, Windows 10...
  9. Stop chrome notifications

in Browsers and Email
    Stop chrome notifications: Is there a way to stop chrome notifications appear in windows notif tray? i want it back to chrome browser. so the notif from chrome appear in browser it self instead of windows notif tray 119146
  10. Stop chrome notifications

in Windows 10 Support
    Stop chrome notifications: Is there a way to stop chrome notifications appear in windows notif tray? i want it back to chrome browser. so the notif from chrome appear in browser it self instead of windows notif tray 119146

Users found this page by searching for:

1. chrome startup crashes

2. CHROME NOT OPENING