Windows 10: Chrome to support Windows 10’s system styling for captions in videos

Discus and support Chrome to support Windows 10’s system styling for captions in videos in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; In late 2018, Microsoft confirmed that Windows 10’s Edge will become a Chromium-based browser and the current version of Edge will be replaced in a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Feb 24, 2019.

1. WinLatest New Member

Chrome to support Windows 10’s system styling for captions in videos

In late 2018, Microsoft confirmed that Windows 10’s Edge will become a Chromium-based browser and the current version of Edge will be replaced in a future release. For users, this means that the development of Edge browser will advance faster than before and Microsoft’s active contribution to Chromium will also make other browsers (Chrome) work better on Windows devices.

Recently, we reported that Microsoft is actively contributing to the Chromium browser and the company is planning to improve the accessibility features of the Chromium-based browsers.

As the launch of Edge browser is nearing, Microsoft is contributing features back to the open-source implementation of Chromium.

In October 2018, a bug post suggested that Google should support custom styles for text captions on video and respect the system settings of Windows.

In January 2019, Google announced in a Chromium post that it plans to introduce CaptionStyle to customize the appearance of the captions/texts displayed during a video. Google had noted that Mac and Windows will use NativeTheme::GetSystemCaptionStyle() to fetch the system settings.

Today, we spotted a Chromium commit by Microsoft engineer which aims to allow Chromium-browsers to respect Windows 10’s system styling for captions in videos.

The Chromium post is titled ‘Add support for Windows system styling for captions’ and it is supposed to make the following changes:

• Add 4 new properties to CaptionStyle.
    • Adds a WindowsCaptionStyle class that extends CaptionStyle and adds Windows support for webvtt caption styling.
    • Adds command line flag ‘–enable-windows-caption-style’ which is needed to run platform specific code.

The post also notes that this commit follows the guidelines outlined by Google in January 2019. Microsoft, Google and contributors are also working to add support for background opacity, window opacity, and window colour.

By the looks of things, the change is basically supposed to add support for Windows 10’s custom styles for text captions in videos. In future, you can expect the captions and the other texts displayed within the video window to deliver a more native feel on Windows 10.

The post Chrome to support Windows 10’s system styling for captions in videos appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Feb 24, 2019
  2. Gino Des Win User

Caption Styles" section in "Closed caption" setting doesn't work as intended.

Hi Eady,

We appreciate you for bringing this issue to our attention. To get a better understanding of what you are experiencing, we would like to clarify a few things:

• Are all options in the Caption Styles section not working? (Mono serif, Casual, Cursive, etc.)
    • Are all the other settings working except Caption Styles?
    • Can you provide us a sample screenshot of the caption that you are seeing?
      (see: How to include a screenshot in your post)

In the meantime, we also highly encourage you to post this issue and your experience on the
    Feedback Hub to increase visibility and awareness. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. For more information about the Feedback Hub, see our

support article
    and .

Looking forward to your reply.

Gino Des, Feb 24, 2019
  3. Caption Styles" section in "Closed caption" setting doesn't work as intended.

Hi Mod,

There' a typos in my previous question, correction is
    Caption Effects
    not the Caption Styles. The fact is all the other settings work except for the "Caption Effects", play on
    Movies & TV app with local video and subtitle (.srt) files .

Kindly refer to the attachments below.

Chrome to support Windows 10’s system styling for captions in videos 95bda5e6-e794-4ee0-bad4-a803c79f0bec?upload=true.png

Chrome to support Windows 10’s system styling for captions in videos c6508610-f91e-4b46-bd5a-9a1ae0ce07a6?upload=true.png

Chrome to support Windows 10’s system styling for captions in videos 587fd8d3-b2e1-4f21-bee6-f6837e840ad2?upload=true.png

Chrome to support Windows 10’s system styling for captions in videos ea0947f1-6916-469b-8b21-776d6267222c?upload=true.png

Thanks,

Eady

Eady Elias, Feb 24, 2019
  4. Chrome to support Windows 10’s system styling for captions in videos

Caption Styles" section in "Closed caption" setting doesn't work as intended.

The "Caption Styles" section in "Closed caption" setting doesn't work as intended since Creators Update. I thought there is a problem with display driver on my laptop (April 2018 Update) but it's happened too on my partner's gaming PC (Creators Update).
    Reset app or restart even reinstall OS didn't solve it. Any thoughts?

Eady Elias, Feb 24, 2019
Thema:

Chrome to support Windows 10’s system styling for captions in videos

1. Chrome to support Windows 10’s system styling for captions in videos - Similar Threads - Chrome support 10’s

2. Is it possible to change Windows 10's native numbering style or format?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is it possible to change Windows 10's native numbering style or format?: I'm using Windows 10 Pro and I have several files in my Pictures and Documents folders that I've numbered according to category. I wanted to know if it's possible to change the numbers from number to 00number format. Or does this functionality even exist in Windows 10?I...
  3. Weird Google Chrome Notification Style

in Windows 10 Customization
    Weird Google Chrome Notification Style: For the past few days, I am getting a different type of Google Chrome notification. Something like thisAnd I don't quite like this, style. I prefer the notification style belowAny ideas how to change this?...
  4. Google Chrome can now caption audio and video

in Windows 10 News
    Google Chrome can now caption audio and video: [img] Captions make online content more accessible. If you’re in a noisy environment, trying to keep the volume down, or are part of the 466 million people in the world who are deaf or hard of hearing, having captions lets you follow along to whatever content...
  5. Chrome will finally support Windows 10’s best network feature to save data

in Windows 10 News
    Chrome will finally support Windows 10’s best network feature to save data: Windows 10 allows you to force your computer to use “Metered connection” mode that reduces data usage and the feature is useful when users are connected to a mobile network or Wi-Fi network with a limited amount of data. Unfortunately, Google Chrome doesn’t respect Windows...
  6. Video speed and style

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Video speed and style: I have made up a video from a series of photo's but cant slow down the video enough to read the content on each photo. Also would like to change the style of presentation to different way, like slides as opposed to just running....
  7. Windows 10 Video Editor and Caption issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Video Editor and Caption issues: I am having trouble with my video editor... I want to put indifferent captions throughout the movie which is long.. The first caption worked but then when I try to do another in a different frame and I click on "text" it goes to the text section but the words are still there...
  8. Embedded captions on mp4 video not showing up in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Embedded captions on mp4 video not showing up in Windows 10: We produce videos for clients, and we deliver mp4s with embedded captions. In Quicktime on a Mac, the embedded captions are viewable and even controlled by a CC button in the playback bar. However, when that same file is viewed on a PC ( Windows 10), neither the embedded...
  9. Rebuilt Windows 10’s Edge browser could support Chrome extensions

in Windows 10 News
    Rebuilt Windows 10’s Edge browser could support Chrome extensions: Microsoft surprised everyone by announcing that they are working on the Chromium-based Edge browser. Microsoft has detailed its plans for new Chromium-based Edge browser and the future. The rebuilt Microsoft Edge browser could support all Google Chrome extensions as it is...
  10. Google Chrome to support HDR videos in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Google Chrome to support HDR videos in Windows 10: Every day, people watch 30,000 years worth of video in Chrome. That’s a lot of video! Watch time grew significantly over the last year—not only because of viral YouTube hits, but also because of the creation of new video experiences around the world. For example, Jio...