Windows 10: Chrome video quality issues in low resolution could be fixed on Windows soon

Discus and support Chrome video quality issues in low resolution could be fixed on Windows soon in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Multiple commits recently revealed that Chromium browsers such as Chrome will eventually get better on Windows. A commit by Microsoft revealed that the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Mar 3, 2019.

1. WinLatest New Member

Chrome video quality issues in low resolution could be fixed on Windows soon

Multiple commits recently revealed that Chromium browsers such as Chrome will eventually get better on Windows. A commit by Microsoft revealed that the Chromium-based browsers will respect Windows 10’s system styling for captions and as well as allow Outlook users to drag or drop files from the desktop.

Another new commit by a Chromium contributor suggests that Chrome will finally address an issue where the quality of videos deteriorated in some cases.

According to a bug post, in some cases, if you play a video in low-resolution mode (140p) on Windows devices, the video quality is dramatically worse when the mouse cursor is not over the YouTube and other videos.

Expected behaviour:

• The video should not be pixelated when not occluded.
    • The video’s color should not change when not occluded.

What went wrong:

• The video quality is dramatically worse when the mouse is not over the video.

In the comments section, Google employee, Chromium contributor and Microsoft engineer have discussed the problem in detail. Chromium contributor Maggie Chen writes that they could experience pixelation/aliasing problem on YouTube with the video source size 192×144 and the video display (destination) size 1076×808.

It appears that the problem is experienced on Windows PCs with Intel GPU and Intel overlay hardware technology.

“This is a case of overlay vs underlay. Today when video is on top, we go down the hardware overlays path; if something is on top of video (we call it underlay case), then we composit the video with the rest of Chrome. So the Aliasing and color change switching between two modes are the difference between two modes,” explains a Google engineer Zhenyao Mo.

Following a suggestion from Microsoft’s engineer, Chromium contributor Maggie Chen has now submitted a commit to address this issue and it could be pushed out to Chrome browsers in a future release.

“The video quality of low resolution mode improves after calling SetBitmapInterpolationMode to change the filtering mode to linear. The code is out for review,” Chen said in a bug post.

“Improve the video upscaling quality in low resolution mode on Windows,” the title of the commit reads. “This is done by setting interpolation mode to linear in direct composition visual. The visual default is nearest mode and the quality is not good. The upscaling quality improves after calling SetBitmapInterpolationMode() to change the interpolation mode to linear,” it explains.

The post Chrome video quality issues in low resolution could be fixed on Windows soon appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Mar 3, 2019
  2. PhilFancy Win User

OneDrive: Video Stream in Internet Explorer (Windows 7) low quality issue

We are using OneDrive as part of our Office 365 E3 subscriptions.

The users are uploading lots of files to OneDrive. When they upload mp4 video files and try to open them in the browser some of them have massive quality issues. All people having quality issues do not have the gear icon on the bottom to change quality level.

It turns out that all Windows 10 users with Internet Explorer have great quality.

All Windows 7 users with Internet Explorer have quality issues and the gear icon is missing. In alternative browsers like Chrome quality is fine.

According to this Windows 7 users seem to have lower quality in Microsoft Stream as well. Windows 10 users are fine is Stream as well.

Is there any plugin or setting to rise the quality Windows 7 users get playing videos? Flash Player (really Microsoft?) is up to date on the machines.

I know Windows 7 is old. Will be replaced step by step in 2019. But till then I need a solution for our users.

EDIT: Seems that Windows 7 is using a Flash Player for streaming, Windows 10 is using HTML5 video player. How to force Win 7 to use HTML5?

PhilFancy, Mar 3, 2019
  3. David Haz Win User
    Graphical issues, Low shadows, Low textures, jagged edges etc.

Hi Jason,

Low graphics quality can be caused by incorrect graphics settings, or that the resolution settings of your device are not configured correctly, etc. For us to isolate the issue about low graphics quality when playing games in Windows 10, kindly respond to
    the questions below:

• Can you describe to us if the graphics issue is only exhibited when playing games?
    • After contacting the support for your graphics card, can you tell us more about the troubleshooting steps that they have instructed you? This is for us to know and to avoid any duplication of efforts on your end.

We look forward to your response.

David Haz, Mar 3, 2019
  4. Geethu B Win User

Issue with streaming videos using Google Chrome.

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I will surely help you to fix the issue with streaming online videos.

To understand the issue better, let me know if you face any issue while watching online videos in Internet Explorer?

This issue could have occurred due to some add-ons or incorrect browser settings.

Try the steps listed here:

Method 1:

If you are facing this issue while playing videos in Internet Explorer 11, I suggest you to refer the article and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/videos-dont-work#ie=ie-11

Method 2:

If the issue is only with Google Chrome, you may refer the article and check if it helps.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6138475?hl=en

If the issue persists, you may contact Google Chrome support for further assistance.

https://support.google.com/chrome

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Mar 3, 2019
Thema:

1. Chrome video quality issues in low resolution could be fixed on Windows soon - Similar Threads - Chrome video quality

2. Videos playing low resolution/low frames

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Videos playing low resolution/low frames: Currently having an issue with videos being previewed when i open them on my desktop. This has been happening since before the most recent windows update. 2023-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5030219THE ISSUE: Horrible lag, frame...
  3. Videos playing low resolution/low frames

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Videos playing low resolution/low frames: Currently having an issue with videos being previewed when i open them on my desktop. This has been happening since before the most recent windows update. 2023-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5030219THE ISSUE: Horrible lag, frame...
  4. Low resolution on images and text and low res video playback/video streaming

Low resolution on images and text and low res video playback/video streaming: Hello, I had an older ideapad that would display 4k and 1080p if 4k not offered with no issues since 2017. In Nov/22, all of the sudden low res text, images, and videos played low res contantly. It plays 4k like a 1080, it plays 1080 like a 720. One interesting fact: I...
  5. Low resolution on images and text and low res video playback/video streaming

in Windows 10 Customization
    Low resolution on images and text and low res video playback/video streaming: Hello, I had an older ideapad that would display 4k and 1080p if 4k not offered with no issues since 2017. In Nov/22, all of the sudden low res text, images, and videos played low res contantly. It plays 4k like a 1080, it plays 1080 like a 720. One interesting fact: I...
  6. how to fix low quality audio?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to fix low quality audio?: Delivering low quality audio to my headphone.... Quality gets very bad after reinstalling the Windows. I have tried everything like driver reinstallation and reinstall windows even updated the windows through installer....
  7. how to fix low quality audio?

how to fix low quality audio?: Delivering low quality audio to my headphone.... Quality gets very bad after reinstalling the Windows. I have tried everything like driver reinstallation and reinstall windows even updated the windows through installer....
  8. Chrome could soon suck less battery power during video playback

in Windows 10 News
    Chrome could soon suck less battery power during video playback: Google Chrome is fast but it can kill your battery life when you play videos on your Windows laptop. Unlike Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome is a notorious battery hog that if left to run in the background with videos playing can reduce your laptop or tablet to just a couple of...
  9. Difficulty fixing low sound quality issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Difficulty fixing low sound quality issues: recently, the sound quality of the audio through bluetooth headphones has been very low, I have tried usign the same headphones with my phone and the sound quality was fine. I do not think this issue is unique to the headphones, as the sound being output through the laptops...
  10. All streamed videos are low quality

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    All streamed videos are low quality: Hi There, No matter what service I use, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go and most online streaming services, the quality of the video seems very poor and pixelated. I have fast internet (200mbps). I have ensured all drivers are up to date. I have disabled windows defender and...