Windows 10: Chrome WebApp icons OK in AllApps, blank/grey in PinnedTiles

Discus and support Chrome WebApp icons OK in AllApps, blank/grey in PinnedTiles in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I pinned shortcuts for Google Calendar and Google Contacts to Start (All Apps), the Start Menu (Pinned Tiles), and the Taskbar on two different Win10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by D_Watson, Sep 4, 2019.

1. D_Watson Win User

Chrome WebApp icons OK in AllApps, blank/grey in PinnedTiles

I pinned shortcuts for Google Calendar and Google Contacts to Start (All Apps), the Start Menu (Pinned Tiles), and the Taskbar on two different Win10 x64 1903 machines. On one, all work/look as expected. On the other, the Pinned Tiles are stuck on gray boxes with no icons at all.

AllApps icons as expected:

Chrome WebApp icons OK in AllApps, blank/grey in PinnedTiles [​IMG]

PinnedTiles view blank, gray, and, visually, unusable--they do ToolTip and start the apps correctly:

Chrome WebApp icons OK in AllApps, blank/grey in PinnedTiles 779b57f4-ff38-4fab-a96d-a188a2af875c?upload=true.png

I have deleted and unpinned everywhere several times, have deleted the underlying C:\Users\myuser\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Chrome Apps shortcuts and re-created them from Chrome, and, based on some Google vodoo, deleted the file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.VisualElementsManifest.xml" and rebooted. Still the Pinned Tiles version is blank, grey, and, visually, unusable. The Start Menu Pinned Tiles were both created fine on the other machine the first time.

Why? How can I fix it?

:)

D_Watson, Sep 4, 2019

2. AllApps menu alternative

I prefer the AllApps screen in Win8.1 to the alpha list in Win10. I've suggested a few variants to MS through feedback.

It looks as though the alpha list will be the defacto standard, although a leaked peek shows it is a little better (can be hidden) and the Start Screen is not cluttered with a list that's too small and not nearly granular enough to be useful.

Windows has always been friendly to customization, and if I get the time to learn the XAML coding pertaining to Start, I might build my own. I tried exporting Start though PS, but it failed - that's ok because if you go that route, the Start screen becomes static. The export serves companies who want to have the same screen for all users.

Until then, I made a poor man's AllApps screen

Download ~AllApps.zip folder and extract the shortcut

~AllApps.zip
    After you have extracted the shortcut, check the properties of the shortcut and unblock it if it is marked blocked.

If you would rather a different icon or the icon I set did not make it through the transfer, change it while you're in properties.

I used the right arrow icon in %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll
    You can see it in the screen shots and if you have to 'fix' the icon, it's about in the middle of the slider displaying icons in shell32.dll

When you are finished with the shortcut properties
    Move ~AllApps.lnk (the shortcut) to your personal Start menu

%Appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    When you look at the Start menu list, the new item, ~AllApps, will be first in the list since tilde ~ is lower in value that most other characters.

Pin ~AllApps to Start and place it where it's convenient to you. I mimicked the Win8.1 placement of an arrow at the lower left area.

When you're finished, you will have a pseudo AllApps screen. One of the niceties is that you can use all of the File Explorer organization features.

I set mine to
    Hide the Navigation pane (organize button)
    view as list (top view selector - press the icon to cycle through available views or press the down arrow to select the one you want)

Right click an open area of the main window
    sort by name
    group by none

There is one problem ... the settings do not stick.

I'll post an update once (if) I figure that out - I'd venture that some member will post the solution before I get back to it. It might be as simple as changing the shortcut target to call rundll shell32 or explorer.

Slartybart, Sep 4, 2019
  3. P4-630 Win User
    Blank shortcut icon GPU-Z

Ok I fixed it, last time I updated GPU-Z and that gave me a blank icon, I just uninstalled my current and downloaded/installed the latest version and the icon is back.

P4-630, Sep 4, 2019
  4. P4-630 Win User

Blank shortcut icon GPU-Z

It's not fixed, today my GPU-Z icon is a blank shortcut icon again..
    And it says GPU-Z.exe does not contain an icon

Chrome WebApp icons OK in AllApps, blank/grey in PinnedTiles gpu-z-blank-icon-jpg.jpg

P4-630, Sep 4, 2019
Thema:

1. Chrome WebApp icons OK in AllApps, blank/grey in PinnedTiles - Similar Threads - Chrome WebApp icons

2. Desktop chrome shortcut icons turned into blank papers!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop chrome shortcut icons turned into blank papers!!!: My pc ran well since I bought it. All the desktop icons stood the same until I installed the torrent app. Along with it an external antivirus app has been installed as well. I didn't notice it until it appeared in the chrome extensions. The app was RAV endpoint protection....
  3. Desktop chrome shortcut icons turned into blank papers!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop chrome shortcut icons turned into blank papers!!!: My pc ran well since I bought it. All the desktop icons stood the same until I installed the torrent app. Along with it an external antivirus app has been installed as well. I didn't notice it until it appeared in the chrome extensions. The app was RAV endpoint protection....
  4. Store blank and grey page

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Store blank and grey page: My MS Store has blank page in the bottom and grey screen at the top of it. It will not work and no apps shows in it. No buttons to click. I have MS account log in to it but I dont see it on my Store. I can only close and re open the store. Help me recover it....
  5. Store blank and grey page

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Store blank and grey page: My MS Store has blank page in the bottom and grey screen at the top of it. It will not work and no apps shows in it. No buttons to click. I have MS account log in to it but I dont see it on my Store. I can only close and re open the store. Help me recover it....
  6. Store blank and grey page

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
  7. Chrome icon double/blank in right-click menu

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome icon double/blank in right-click menu: Hey guys! New here and searched your forums for this issue but found no results so, I decided to make a thread, hoping you could help me out. I have windows 10 pro and have installed Google Chrome browser. When I went to set Chrome as the default browser in the apps section,...
  8. No running Webapps anymore on Edge, cant deinstall webapps, cant add webapps

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No running Webapps anymore on Edge, cant deinstall webapps, cant add webapps: [ATTACH] So - I rant basically onto this bug: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i0w67b/microsoft_edge_kept_crashing/ But I did not check reddit on time. I tried to reset all my settings of edge. Now I got a problem: When I click on the installed apps, edge...
  9. 7+ Taskbar Tweaker duplicate blank taskbar icons for Chrome

in Windows 10 Customization
    7+ Taskbar Tweaker duplicate blank taskbar icons for Chrome: On both my Windows 10 home PC and work computer, 7+ Taskbar Tweaker causes duplicate buttons on the taskbar of Chrome that turn invisible: [img] As you can see in the image, there are two blank icons in front of the Chrome icon. Both of these are working and open...
  10. AllApps menu alternative

in Windows 10 Support
    AllApps menu alternative: I prefer the AllApps screen in Win8.1 to the alpha list in Win10. I've suggested a few variants to MS through feedback. It looks as though the alpha list will be the defacto standard, although a leaked peek shows it is a little better (can be hidden) and the Start Screen...