Windows 10: Chrome’s RAM problem fix for Windows 10 lands in Canary update

Discus and support Chrome’s RAM problem fix for Windows 10 lands in Canary update in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Google Chrome, which is based on the open-source Chromium platform, offers a fantastic set of features but it does eat up a lot of RAM. Chrome runs a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Jun 26, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Chrome’s RAM problem fix for Windows 10 lands in Canary update

Google Chrome, which is based on the open-source Chromium platform, offers a fantastic set of features but it does eat up a lot of RAM. Chrome runs a shocking number of memory-hogging processes for each tab, extension and other activities. In 2018, Chrome started using more RAM after fixes for Spectre security were developed.

It’s still normal for Google Chrome to gobble up multiple gigabytes of RAM in Windows 10, but a new feature will finally curb Chrome’s gluttony, and we know that it will work well because Microsoft is already using it and the Edge has seen improvements in the browser’s memory footprint.

Windows 10 May 2020 Update (version 2004) introduces a new memory management feature called ‘SegmentHeap’ for Win32 apps such as Chrome, Edge and Firefox. The feature is available for developers and companies can opt into SegmentHeap method to lower the RAM usage of their apps.

Earlier this month, Google confirmed that it plans to use SegmentHeap to resolve Chrome’s memory hogging problems. Today, Google announced that it has finally enabled support for the feature in the latest version of Chrome Canary for Windows 10.

In Chrome Canary version 85.0.4182.0, segment heap improvements are now available.

“This change made it into today’s Chrome canary (Version 85.0.4182.0 (Official Build) canary (64-bit). I can confirm that the segment heap is enabled,” wrote Bruce Dawson, a Google Chrome programmer.

Microsoft’s Chromium Edge with SegmentHeap support has been rolled out to almost all Windows 10 users in the recent May 2020 update, and Microsoft says it has seen a 27 percent drop in the browser’s memory usage.

Google is in the second phase of adding this feature to Chrome and it might appear in the Beta channel soon. It will take a few months before the SegmentHeap support arrives in the Stable channel of Google Chrome, but remember that you’ll need Windows 10 version 2004 or newer to see any improvement.

The post Chrome’s RAM problem fix for Windows 10 lands in Canary update appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Jun 26, 2020
  2. labeeman Win User

Google Fixes Chrome Issues in Windows 10 with Canary Update

Source

labeeman, Jun 26, 2020
  3. Browser landings are blank

Thank you Abdul_Malik. The browser is Chrome, the issue is when I open Chrome and search for any subject and it lands on The Search Engine Landing page. The search engine landing page is blank until I hit the reload arrow. So far today it is working properly.
    If it works properly throughout today I will mark this as solved, even though I never figured out why it was doing it.

BillCosner, Jun 26, 2020
  4. Ltohang Win User

Chrome Canary having a completely black screen

Hello fellow tech geeks of Microsoft and Google products,

I have a Windows 10 Pro OS, and recently ran into this issue with my Chrome Canary browser. A few weeks ago, my extensions started crashing on start up every single day, but I didn't really care, and once I restart my PC, everything is back to normal. However,
    yesterday, when I restarted my PC(I think I force restarted, because Canary might've been opening up, but I am not sure), and went back to Canary, the window went into a painfully black screen with absolutely nothing. So far I've tried:

1. Reinstalling the browser, including online and by USB from another device

2. Running the app in compatibility mode, in all given OSs, and running the compatibility troubleshooter

3. Changing something in the Shortcut Bar, as someone on Google Forums listed that I found, something along the lines of "disable gpu" or something like that

4. Uninstalling normal Chrome, as I heard that using multiple chrome browsers simultaneously on one device is not good, and I am currently using Chromium. However, it works on other devices that I use, so I don't thing this is the issue.

Any fixes? Here's a screenshot of the issue:

Chrome’s RAM problem fix for Windows 10 lands in Canary update 6cf3ff3c-0b33-4540-a8b5-1bf2a46b3d11.png

Thanks in advance!

Moved from: Internet Explorer / Internet Explorer Unknown/Other / Other/Unknown

Ltohang, Jun 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Chrome’s RAM problem fix for Windows 10 lands in Canary update - Similar Threads - Chrome’s RAM problem

2. Google to fix Chrome’s annoying RAM-usage, crashes on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Google to fix Chrome’s annoying RAM-usage, crashes on Windows 10: With the release of the Windows 10 May 2020 Update (version 2004), Microsoft made improvements to the ‘Segment Heap’ feature in the OS and added support for desktop (Win32) programs like web browsers. Segment Heap was also introduced for Chromium open source project and...
  3. Image pixilation in Chrome, Edge Beta and Edge Canary.

in Browsers and Email
    Image pixilation in Chrome, Edge Beta and Edge Canary.: Hello all! First post. [img] I've had a problem for a while with the new browsers. After changing from IE to Edge, as have many users, I have the problem of constantly losing the favorites. I think I've tried every solution offered on the web, but nothing seems to help....
  4. PSA: Multiple scrolling improvements have landed in Edge Canary

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PSA: Multiple scrolling improvements have landed in Edge Canary: If you activate "Enable Experimental Scrolling" in edge://flags/ , you have new features to test (Canary only). Percent-Based Scrolling is now in (keyboard+scrollwheel), as the New Fling Animation for touch input is also there. Here is a confirmation:...
  5. Chrome Canary on Windows 10 gets Microsoft’s power saving feature

in Windows 10 News
    Chrome Canary on Windows 10 gets Microsoft’s power saving feature: Earlier this year, Microsoft launched a new version of its Edge browser built on open-source Chromium platform. Microsoft has repeated its assertion from last year that it is very interested in contributing to the Chromium open source project and make Chromium-based browsers...
  6. Chrome Canary crashes on Windows 10 with ‘Aw, snap’ error

in Windows 10 News
    Chrome Canary crashes on Windows 10 with ‘Aw, snap’ error: Google Chrome Canary, the experimental version of Chrome browser isn’t responding or crashing after yesterday’s update. Although Chrome Canary is an unfinished browser version and bugs could crop up, the overall experience has been mostly stable. That changed yesterday when...
  7. Microsoft brings smooth scrolling to Chrome Canary on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft brings smooth scrolling to Chrome Canary on Windows 10: Microsoft has already confirmed that it will base its new Edge browser on Chromium, the open-source project that also powers Google Chrome. After this announcement, Microsoft started contributing to Chromium which means the company’s efforts will make Chrome better, too. A...
  8. Windows Mixed Reality support is now live in Chrome Canary

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Mixed Reality support is now live in Chrome Canary: Back in January, we spotted a couple of commits on Chromium Gerrit which revealed that Google is considering bringing support for Windows Mixed Reality to Chrome. In the past few weeks, Chromium contributors made several commits for implementing Windows Mixed Reality support...
  9. Chrome Canary’s dark mode on Windows 10 spreads to more pages

in Windows 10 News
    Chrome Canary’s dark mode on Windows 10 spreads to more pages: Windows 10 comes with the system-wide dark mode, and most of the first party apps support the new look. Popular browsers like Firefox also offers a built-in dark mode to complement Windows 10’s dark look. Google Chrome, however, is late to the party. The latest version of...
  10. Google Fixes Chrome Issues in Windows 10 with Canary Update

in Windows 10 News
    Google Fixes Chrome Issues in Windows 10 with Canary Update: Windows 10 build 10525, which was released to Windows Insiders a few days ago, comes with a bug that causes Google Chrome browser and installed extensions to crash. While both Google and Microsoft have both confirmed the bug, the first moved really fast to address it, so...