Windows 10: Chromium Edge PWA spikes GPU usages when accent color is enabled on 'Title bars and window...

Discus and support Chromium Edge PWA spikes GPU usages when accent color is enabled on 'Title bars and window... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I suspect some sort conflict between Edge trying to show custom PWA color on the title bar and Windows pushing the accent color on the same, which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/mhadr, Jul 8, 2020.

1. /u/mhadr Win User

Chromium Edge PWA spikes GPU usages when accent color is enabled on 'Title bars and window...

I suspect some sort conflict between Edge trying to show custom PWA color on the title bar and Windows pushing the accent color on the same, which drives the GPU usage. Eventually system temperature increases and stutters. I'm on 1909 with latest Edge stable.

Anyone else can confirm whether I am the only one facing it or not? Thanks.

submitted by /u/mhadr
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/mhadr, Jul 8, 2020

2. Windows 10 title bar color

Right-click desktop, Properties, Colors. Select an accent color, and enable the following option:

Show color on Start, Taskbar, action center, and title bar

One problem is that the inactive title bar color also uses the same accent color. But you can change the inactive titlebar color using registry edit (AccentColorInactive). Change
    the Inactive Title Bar Color in Windows 10?

And to independently apply the accent colors (eg., only for titlebars), see this excellent post at Reddit: tutorial_independently_colourise_or_decolourise

Google for ColorPrevalence and AccentColorInteractive

Google

Ramesh Srinivasan, Jul 8, 2020
  3. tomseys Win User
    Accent color bug in 1809 and how to set title bar color manually

I made a related thread about this earlier asking about how to set the title bar color in the registry manually. I decided to make another thread on this to better describe the issue and also to give it a better thread title since I believe what I'm really asking is how to deal with a bug in 1809.

The bug is that unlike in versions 1803 and earlier, when you let windows 10 choose an accent color to color title bars (and start, action center and taskbar) in 1809, it colors title bars a much darker color than before. The color is much darker than what it shows in the example provided. See here:

Chromium Edge PWA spikes GPU usages when accent color is enabled on 'Title bars and window... [​IMG]

Much darker:

Chromium Edge PWA spikes GPU usages when accent color is enabled on 'Title bars and window... [​IMG]

So here is the problem/bug/change in more detail:

Ok, so, in Windows 10 version 1803 and earlier versions of Windows 10, if you choose a background (in this case the Windows 10 blue background) like this:

And select automatically pick an accent color from background:

The color of the title bars of folders, file explorer and Firefox (the menubar and tab bar) looks like this:

Firefox

The color is a light blue I believe #26A6F2

The menu bar text on Firefox is black as is the text on tabs and the minimize close buttons etc.

The taskbar and and start etc have a darker blue and that is fine:

So this is the way it has always been as far back as I can recall.

But now, starting with version 1809, using the same settings above, the title bar color is no longer that shade of blue... it is much darker. See below for example:

Firefox

Notice the much darker shade of blue (color #06476F) and the white text of the menu bar etc for example in Firefox.

The task bar, start etc appear to have the same or similar color in 1809 as in 1803, it is only the title bar coloring that has changed from a relatively light blue to a dark blue.

If i "customize" the accent color in an attempt to make the title bar color lighter like the way it is naturally in 1803, this throws the colors of the taskbar and start, action center off... it makes them lighter as well and it doesn't look good to me... poor contrast, especially the start area.

I could just use a theme for firefox but this still leaves other title bars dark blue and I'd rather not use a theme if possible since it changes loading behavior of FF slightly. I could also use a userchrome file to control colors on FF but I had issues with getting the menu bar text black like in 1803 and it again it does nothing for other title bars.

So I was looking at this SMACC tool but I'm having difficulties getting it to do what I want it to do ... which is to make title bars of Firefox and file explorer etc look like they do in 1803... that same lighter blue. I'm not concerned about task bar, start, action center etc because there are both as far as I can see colored the same/similarly in 1803 and 1809.

So I started by turning off accent color on title bars:

And then tried to set the blue color using the smacc tool but nothing I do sticks... I save to registry and log out and then in and nothing. The dark blue color remains. i think it may be because I just don't know what I'm doing so maybe someone who is familiar with this can makes suggestions on exactly how to use this tool to do what I want.. if it is possible.

Thanks for reading and any help. I may not answer for a bit... holiday stuff.

tomseys, Jul 8, 2020
  4. flxmse Win User

Chromium Edge PWA spikes GPU usages when accent color is enabled on 'Title bars and window...

Setting Title Bar colors to bright when the option Automatically pick an accent color from my background is toggled On

Is there any possibility to make active window title bar color exactly the same as the accent color, not darker? I am using "automatically pick an accent color from the background" on and dark mode. I would like brighter colors on active window title bar.
    Thank you.

***Original title: title bar color, windows 10***

flxmse, Jul 8, 2020
Thema:

1. Chromium Edge PWA spikes GPU usages when accent color is enabled on 'Title bars and window... - Similar Threads - Chromium Edge PWA

2. GPU usage spikes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPU usage spikes: So what happens is that I get heavy GPU usage spikes every time I launch any sort of game. I noticed that GPU usage spikes start only after 5 minutes of gameplay, as well as that stuttering happens when GPU usage reaches higher %...
  3. Title Bars have lost accent color

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Title Bars have lost accent color: I recently realized that my title bars no longer match the accent color of my taskbar and start menu. I've checked and double-checked the settings, clicking "Show accent color on title bars and windows borders." All that seems to affect is the windows borders now. I've even...
  4. Title Bars have lost accent color

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Title Bars have lost accent color: I recently realized that my title bars no longer match the accent color of my taskbar and start menu. I've checked and double-checked the settings, clicking "Show accent color on title bars and windows borders." All that seems to affect is the windows borders now. I've even...
  5. Show accent color on title bars and windows borders is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Show accent color on title bars and windows borders is not working: I am using Windows 11. I'd like my title bars to not be gray so I can more easily see them. It would make it much easier for me to see the windows to click and move them if they were a color. I followed the instructions on the Microsoft help page Change colors in Windows -...
  6. Show accent color on title bars and windows borders is not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Show accent color on title bars and windows borders is not working: I am using Windows 11. I'd like my title bars to not be gray so I can more easily see them. It would make it much easier for me to see the windows to click and move them if they were a color. I followed the instructions on the Microsoft help page Change colors in Windows -...
  7. How to Enable and use Accent Color in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    How to Enable and use Accent Color in Microsoft Edge: [ATTACH]This post will show you how to enable and use Accent Color in Microsoft […] This article How to Enable and use Accent Color in Microsoft Edge first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. Setting Title Bar colors to bright when the option Automatically pick an accent color from...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting Title Bar colors to bright when the option Automatically pick an accent color from...: Is there any possibility to make active window title bar color exactly the same as the accent color, not darker? I am using "automatically pick an accent color from the background" on and dark mode. I would like brighter colors on active window title bar. Thank you....
  9. Accent color bug in 1809 and how to set title bar color manually

Accent color bug in 1809 and how to set title bar color manually: I made a related thread about this earlier asking about how to set the title bar color in the registry manually. I decided to make another thread on this to better describe the issue and also to give it a better thread title since I believe what I'm really asking is how to...
  10. Title bar accent color won't change to default.

Title bar accent color won't change to default.: I've had this issue before, it never got resolved. I've tried stuff like: Navigate in regedit to DWM and set Color Prevalence to 0 (REG_DWORD), and Turn accent title colors off in settings, even did a system scan, updated my PC, checked for malware... None of that worked. I...