Windows 10: Chronic BSOD issues with multiple bug check strings

Discus and support Chronic BSOD issues with multiple bug check strings in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I upgraded my (ageing) Dell Studio XPS laptop from Windows 7 to 10 on day one and have had multiple BSOD issues ever since. They have included:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by TimHJ, Aug 4, 2015.

1. TimHJ Win User

Chronic BSOD issues with multiple bug check strings

I upgraded my (ageing) Dell Studio XPS laptop from Windows 7 to 10 on day one and have had multiple BSOD issues ever since. They have included:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
    DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL
    SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

...and many more. I have attached the requisite zip file below.

Prior to posting here, I have conducted the usual Google searches and tried a couple of suggested solutions. Uninstalling Norton 360 seemed to help reduce the frequency of the problems; as did deleting an unknown printer that was showing up in Device Manager. But although the crashes are less frequent, the problem clearly still exists.

I would be ecstatic if someone can shed light on these issues as I would ideally prefer not to have to do a completely clean install, given the volume of data I would need to temporarily shift off my machine.

Thanks in advance folks!

Tim

:)

TimHJ, Aug 4, 2015

2. BSOD APC_INDEX_MISMATCH ntoskrnl.exe+142940

I had a BSOD. Bug Check String APC_INDEX_MISMATCH , cause by driver ntoskrnl.exe caused by address ntoskrnl.exe+142940. Adive on the fix for this. XPS 15 9950 RUNNING Windows 10 Pro.

SanilPrakashan, Aug 4, 2015
  3. Random BSOD's - Multiple Bug Checks

HI Robert.

I'm also receiving this issue when I load a game called Phantasy Star Online 2. I upgraded my system to Windows 10 and of all the games i play this is the first one to do this.

I get the error message on ntoskrnl.exe+14dd00 thats the address its hit 3 times now.

I attempted to update the game to see if this resolved the issue. As my system runs 4 1tb HDD in Raid i don't want them to corrupt with continues crashes.

I plan to upgrade my graphics card soon and was hoping to hold out till i buy it to format the machine and start again. I think what i will test in the mean time is reinstalling the full game. I believe
    the crashes are directly related to bad drivers since the upgrade. Hopefully if this is a known issue with Windows 10 then it will be looked at.

I always found it best to do a clean install of a OS rather than upgrading so that would be my suggestion to you. Did you upgrade from Windows 7 or 8?

Robert Liam Whyte 2020, Aug 4, 2015
  4. Boozad Win User

All of your dumps are pointing towards memory corruption. No drivers are showing at all (it may be that we have to run Driver Verifier later) but it does show that a corrupt PTE (Page Table Entry) has been detected. Code: BugCheck 1A, {41792, fffff6bffc5a5cc0, 8000, 0} Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( ONE_BIT ) Followup: MachineOwner --------- 2: kd> !analyze -v ******************************************************************************* * * * Bugcheck Analysis * * * ******************************************************************************* MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1a) # Any other values for parameter 1 must be individually examined. Arguments: Arg1: 0000000000041792, A corrupt PTE has been detected. Parameter 2 contains the address of the PTE. Parameters 3/4 contain the low/high parts of the PTE. Arg2: fffff6bffc5a5cc0 Arg3: 0000000000008000 Arg4: 0000000000000000[/quote] First of all I'd like to rule out yor RAM as a possible cause.

Download and run MemTest86+ to test your RAM. RAM - Test with Memtest86+ - Windows 7 Help Forums

Chronic BSOD issues with multiple bug check strings [​IMG]
    Note
    Chronic BSOD issues with multiple bug check strings [​IMG]

Run MemTest86+ for at least 8 passes. Ideally set it off before you go to bed and leave it overnight, we're looking for zero errors here. A single error will show something's going bad with your RAM.

Report back with the results and we'll work from there.

Boozad, Aug 7, 2015
  5. TimHJ Win User
    Many thanks, Boozad - and having just read your sticky, I apologise for having 'bumped' my thread. I won't do it again! *Redface

I will follow your advice and run MemTest86+.....but in the meantime I thought I would add that the machine did not have any memory problems while running Windows 7 - and nor does it have any issues while running Windows 10 in safe mode. If there were a problem with the RAM, would I not expect to have had issues in Win7 and / or in Win10 safe mode?

Thanks again!
    Tim

TimHJ, Aug 7, 2015
  6. Boozad Win User
    Don't worry about that, I only put that there this morning, just to help you help us help you if you know what I mean. *Wink

In theory yes, RAM is highly unlikely in this case but as every dump blamed memory corruption and no drivers were listed I thought it best just to prove it beyond doubt. MemTest86+ is a long test and best done overnight so it doesn't affect your daily computing, so if you can run it tonight and all looks good that's one possibility out of the way.

In the meantime if you want to enable Driver Verifier you can. The chances are it is a driver that is the issue so DV should weed it out. Read the tutorial linked fully before you enable DV please.

Driver Verifier - Enable and Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Boozad, Aug 7, 2015
  7. TimHJ Win User
    Thanks again, Boozad. I have tried to run MemTest and the machine powers itself off about thirty seconds into the test! Literally just powers off!

TimHJ, Aug 7, 2015
  8. TimHJ Win User

Many thanks again for your suggestions, Boozad - and my apologies for the radio silence regarding trying them out. I became incredibly busy with work (for which I use an entirely different laptop) and just haven't had chance to work on the old Dell for the last two weeks.

Last evening, though - and with the long weekend to look forward to - I got my hands on some RAM from another machine (which works fine and so far has never had a BSOD issue under Windows 10) and installed it in the Dell. It booted fine, but crashed with a new error message - SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. I restarted and it ran happily for a while in normal Windows mode, so I left it running overnight. This morning, I had a BSOD with the MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error message again.

Now, it seems to me that this pretty much rules out dodgy RAM. I guess I could run the Dell memory in the other machine to double-check it.....and I might even run MemTest on it while its installed there. But meantime, it looks like I might have to look elsewhere for the chronic BSOD issue on the Dell.

Any thoughts?

TimHJ, Aug 28, 2015
  9. swarfega Win User
    If you are unable to resolve these errors perhaps its time to consider a clean install (after backing up your personal files of course).

swarfega, Aug 28, 2015
  10. TimHJ Win User
    Thanks, Swarfega. With a handle like that I would have thought that you preferred to clean things up rather than start again! *chuckle

I did try a refresh.....without any luck. But maybe you are right - I might have to grab all the personal data off it and start over.

Tim

TimHJ, Aug 28, 2015
  11. TimHJ Win User
    Will do, Boozad - as soon as I get the stupid machine to boot up properly. Later today or tomorrow, I guess.

Thanks everyone for your help!

TimHJ, Aug 28, 2015
  12. TimHJ Win User
    Herewith the latest dump files......

Tim

TimHJ, Aug 28, 2015
  13. TimHJ Win User

Some updated dump files that I harvested today; there had been some additional BSODs with new error messages. I can confirm that the other laptop is working fine with the RAM I took out of the Dell machine. It has been running with that memory now for more than a week without a single BSOD. As for the Dell machine, well so far this morning it hasn't fallen over - but I bet it will anytime now.

TimHJ, Sep 4, 2015
  14. axe0 New Member
    I'm sorry to come in this thread, but to note: the zip file is empty.
    Please upload a new zip file.

15. TimHJ Win User
    Sorry about that. I just tried to run it again and got the same empty zip folder. Any ideas why?

Maybe could someone look at the dump files I posted last week? They may show the problem. Otherwise I am at a loss to know what to do! :-(

TimHJ, Sep 4, 2015
Thema:

1. Chronic BSOD issues with multiple bug check strings - Similar Threads - Chronic BSOD issues

2. ntoskrnl.exe BSOD with varying bug check strings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ntoskrnl.exe BSOD with varying bug check strings: Hello everyone,I have been fighting for a while with seemingly random blue screens on my PC. The blue screen text usually indicates the crash to be caused by ntoskrnl.exe, but the timing and the Bug Check String varies. Among the Strings I encounter...
  3. ntoskrnl.exe BSOD with varying bug check strings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ntoskrnl.exe BSOD with varying bug check strings: Hello everyone,I have been fighting for a while with seemingly random blue screens on my PC. The blue screen text usually indicates the crash to be caused by ntoskrnl.exe, but the timing and the Bug Check String varies. Among the Strings I encounter...
  4. Multiple BSoD involving ntoskrnl.exe+3f88b0 with different Bug Check Strings

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Multiple BSoD involving ntoskrnl.exe+3f88b0 with different Bug Check Strings: Hi, I hava been experiencing some BSoD related to ntoskrnl.exe+3f88b0 according to BlueScreenView. I have replaced the SSD and RAM from my computer but it doesn´t seem to work. If somebody could help me I will really appreciate it.Dump...
  5. Multiple BSoD involving ntoskrnl.exe+3f88b0 with different Bug Check Strings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple BSoD involving ntoskrnl.exe+3f88b0 with different Bug Check Strings: Hi, I hava been experiencing some BSoD related to ntoskrnl.exe+3f88b0 according to BlueScreenView. I have replaced the SSD and RAM from my computer but it doesn´t seem to work. If somebody could help me I will really appreciate it.Dump...
  6. Multiple BSoD involving ntoskrnl.exe+3f88b0 with different Bug Check Strings

7. Ntoskrnl.exe bsod with various bug check strings

Ntoskrnl.exe bsod with various bug check strings: Hello, I've been experiencing BSODs and noticed on BlueScreenView that the issues I have mostly come from ntoskrnl.exeI've tried SFC it had a problem but was already fixed according to CMD and Memory Diagnostic which showed no errors in Event Viewer. I seriously do not know...
  8. Ntoskrnl.exe bsod with various bug check strings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ntoskrnl.exe bsod with various bug check strings: Hello, I've been experiencing BSODs and noticed on BlueScreenView that the issues I have mostly come from ntoskrnl.exeI've tried SFC it had a problem but was already fixed according to CMD and Memory Diagnostic which showed no errors in Event Viewer. I seriously do not know...
  9. Ntoskrnl.exe bsod with various bug check strings

10. Multiple recurrent BSOD'd caused by ntoskrnl.exe, multiple bug check strings

Multiple recurrent BSOD'd caused by ntoskrnl.exe, multiple bug check strings: My PC running Windows 10 Education N has been having multiple recurrent BSOD crashes - both during use and while it has been idle. This can happen anywhere between every 5 minutes to every 3 days. The .dmp files have multiple bug check strings which can vary each time,...