Windows 10: Cipher /e

Discus and support Cipher /e in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've been trying to encrypt a folder on my desktop but every time I use cipher /e [filename] I get ERR, request not supported. Test is the name of... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by king.cipher, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Cipher /e

I've been trying to encrypt a folder on my desktop but every time I use cipher /e [filename] I get ERR, request not supported.

Test is the name of the folder on my desktop which I want to encrypt.

C:\Users\king\Desktop>cipher /e Test

Encrypting files in C:\Users\king\Desktop\

Test [ERR]

Test: The request is not supported.

0 file(s) [or directorie(s)] within 1 directorie(s) were encrypted.

I'm not sure what I'm missing or doing wrong. In reality, what I want to do in the end is encrypt a flash drive on D: via command prompt.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

king.cipher, Feb 3, 2019

2. Can anyone solve this cipher?

That doesn't seem credible to me. In the solve 408-cipher (mailed July 31, 1969), he used all of those characters ( L, backwards L, <, >) and they weren't directions inside the cipher, they were simply cipher characters. That's not to say he couldn't have changed it up but if you look at what he proposes, it doesn't really make any sense either. The 408-cipher had very few typos in it. It was in coherent sentences.

What's unique about the above cipher is that, not long after he had the 340-cipher published (mailed Nov. 8, 1969), he published this (mailed April 20, 1970):
    "My Name Is..." Letter
    He calls himself "zodiac," he clearly wants people to solve the 340-cipher, and I believe he gave his name using the same cipher to help decipher it (clearly the intent of the text leading up to the 13-cipher). The problem is, those circled 8's don't appear in the 340-cipher. They are unique to the 13-cipher. I reason that this was deliberate. Coincidentally:
    Code: AEN+8K8M8tNAM _Z_O_D_I_A_C_[/quote] It fits like a glove and dodges all of the characters that are not in the 340-cipher. What that suggests to me is that every even index of character is junk data hiding the message. The non-junk data is what is posted above. Unlike the 408-cipher, it isn't just a little random, it is extremely random. That's what made me post this. I doubt I can solve it beyond the initial riddle. The more eyes looking at it the better.

FordGT90Concept, Feb 3, 2019
  3. Cipher Error : The Request is not supported.

Upon trying to use Cipher to do some simple encrypting on my machine I have ran into some issues.

Cipher /e [​IMG]

If I execute Cipher.exe from the Command Prompt it seems to be functioning normally and subsequently lists all folders on the current directory with a U in front of them indicating that they are unencrypted, however, when I attempt to encrypt a directory ... or rather the files within it ... I get an error that reads " The request is not supported " beside each file listed in the directory and an overall summery that 0 files were encrypted.

I noticed that there is no Cipher.dll file on my machine, as according to some due diligence research, perhaps should have been. I located the only cipher.dll I could find, however, upon trying to register it I received an error that " the module was downloaded but the entry point DllRegisterServer was not found. I also found an update on Microsoft's website, (KB4032188), that claimed to resolve known Cipher issues, however, was unable to install it on my machine as it kept stating that the update was not applicable to the particular Windows 10 build I am running. I also tried to use TLS 1.0 only and still received the same error. Any ideas?

GenericUser2712, Feb 3, 2019
  4. Cipher /e

Can anyone solve this cipher?

In the 408-cipher, he pseudo-copied The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell but, we didn't need the ciphers to tell us he's demented.

And your grandma is right: only a narcissistic criminal would go to this length to get attention. Your average criminal doesn't send mail to journalists. At the same time, that raises doubt that the ciphers were even done by the murderer.

I think there was only five ciphers. Only the first has been definitively solved. It's possible that he was so dismayed by the first cipher being solved in less than a week that the remaining four are simply gibberish. In his mind, they would never be solved which makes him the winner.

I just woke up this morning thinking about it so I looked into it again.

FordGT90Concept, Feb 3, 2019
Thema:

Cipher /e

1. Cipher /e - Similar Threads - Cipher

2. How do we enable Kyber cipher suites via gpo for the ssl registry keys?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do we enable Kyber cipher suites via gpo for the ssl registry keys?: I've been attempting to enable Kyber ciphers via the registry key Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\CipherSuitesBut I can't find a format to follow anywhere; I know it runs off TLS1.2, and 1.3, which we have enabled. I'd...
  3. How do we enable Kyber cipher suites via gpo for the ssl registry keys?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do we enable Kyber cipher suites via gpo for the ssl registry keys?: I've been attempting to enable Kyber ciphers via the registry key Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\CipherSuitesBut I can't find a format to follow anywhere; I know it runs off TLS1.2, and 1.3, which we have enabled. I'd...
  4. AADSTS1002016, You are using TLS version 1.0, 1.1 and/or 3DES cipher

in Windows 10 News
    AADSTS1002016, You are using TLS version 1.0, 1.1 and/or 3DES cipher: [IMG]In this article, we will see some solutions to fix the error AADSTS1002016, You are using TLS version 1.0, 1.1 and/or 3DES cipher. This error is related to the Microsoft Azure AD. However, some users also experienced this error on their Windows 11/10 computers while...
  5. cipher /w:URI_DIR -- So, if only some files were deleted - should the process finish soon?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cipher /w:URI_DIR -- So, if only some files were deleted - should the process finish soon?: Regarding:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-any-way-reset-windows-10-but-only-permanently/1f05ba25-0c6c-4137-af79-6b27c1c5056dhttps://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/cipher --- And "... Windows has a built-in...
  6. cipher /w:URI_DIR -- So, if only some files were deleted - should the process finish soon?

cipher /w:URI_DIR -- So, if only some files were deleted - should the process finish soon?: Regarding:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-any-way-reset-windows-10-but-only-permanently/1f05ba25-0c6c-4137-af79-6b27c1c5056dhttps://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/cipher --- And "... Windows has a built-in...
  7. cipher /w:URI_DIR -- So, if only some files were deleted - should the process finish soon?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    cipher /w:URI_DIR -- So, if only some files were deleted - should the process finish soon?: Regarding:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-any-way-reset-windows-10-but-only-permanently/1f05ba25-0c6c-4137-af79-6b27c1c5056dand "... Windows has a built-in command cipher. With parameter /w it will overwrite all free space....
  8. Error on Cipher Command

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error on Cipher Command: Hi, there!I made a few attempts to encrypt a folder, but the command keeps on returning the same error message: "...The request is not supported".The folder I want to encrypt is located in a USB drive. Here's the command I've entered: cipher /e D:/TestThe entire path reads:...
  9. Error on Cipher Command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error on Cipher Command: Hi, there!I made a few attempts to encrypt a folder, but the command keeps on returning the same error message: "...The request is not supported".The folder I want to encrypt is located in a USB drive. Here's the command I've entered: cipher /e D:/TestThe entire path reads:...
  10. Error on Cipher Command

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cipher.exe on server 2016