Windows 10: Cipher Program - Need to understand what I just did

Discus and support Cipher Program - Need to understand what I just did in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was reading an article that stated that Windows has a built-in tool called Cipher to delete files. Being curious, I typed "cipher" into my search on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Stecyk, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Stecyk Win User

Cipher Program - Need to understand what I just did

I was reading an article that stated that Windows has a built-in tool called Cipher to delete files. Being curious, I typed "cipher" into my search on the lower right hand corner and executed the program, thinking that I would be prompted for more particulars. Instead, Cipher ran quickly and then stopped. I saw the command lines show briefly and then nothing.

I panicked, thinking that I might have deleted all my files. After quick look of my C drive (SSD) and my other two physical drives, I think I am okay. The drives seem to be as full as they were before. I don't have Bitlocker engaged.

When I ran Cipher, there were no parameters or arguments passed along. What exactly did I just do?

:)

Stecyk, Jun 17, 2019
  2. AngelMesa Win User

Encrypt a folder with Cipher

Hi Comdervids,

I’m Independent Advisor willing to help you. I would suggest to enclose the folder's name in quotations and use backslashes instead of forward-slashes like this:

cipher /E C:\Desktop\Derek's things

Or cipher /E C:\Desktop\"Derek's things"

Or cipher /E "C:\Desktop\Derek's things"

Best Regards,

Angel.

AngelMesa, Jun 17, 2019
  3. Can anyone solve this cipher?

That doesn't seem credible to me. In the solve 408-cipher (mailed July 31, 1969), he used all of those characters ( L, backwards L, <, >) and they weren't directions inside the cipher, they were simply cipher characters. That's not to say he couldn't have changed it up but if you look at what he proposes, it doesn't really make any sense either. The 408-cipher had very few typos in it. It was in coherent sentences.

What's unique about the above cipher is that, not long after he had the 340-cipher published (mailed Nov. 8, 1969), he published this (mailed April 20, 1970):
    "My Name Is..." Letter
    He calls himself "zodiac," he clearly wants people to solve the 340-cipher, and I believe he gave his name using the same cipher to help decipher it (clearly the intent of the text leading up to the 13-cipher). The problem is, those circled 8's don't appear in the 340-cipher. They are unique to the 13-cipher. I reason that this was deliberate. Coincidentally:
    Code: AEN+8K8M8tNAM _Z_O_D_I_A_C_[/quote] It fits like a glove and dodges all of the characters that are not in the 340-cipher. What that suggests to me is that every even index of character is junk data hiding the message. The non-junk data is what is posted above. Unlike the 408-cipher, it isn't just a little random, it is extremely random. That's what made me post this. I doubt I can solve it beyond the initial riddle. The more eyes looking at it the better.

FordGT90Concept, Jun 17, 2019
  4. Cipher Program - Need to understand what I just did

Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Jun 17, 2019
Thema:

Cipher Program - Need to understand what I just did

1. Cipher Program - Need to understand what I just did - Similar Threads - Cipher Program Need

2. I just don't, understand this?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I just don't, understand this?: My computer, is a Dell laptop.Running Windows 10.That's the computer, I'm on now.And, it works fine!I have another, computer. That, I just formatted.After, formatting. Cortana takes you,through the steps of setting up the computer.US, one keyboard. And then, you get up...
  3. I just don't, understand this?

in Windows 10 Customization
    I just don't, understand this?: My computer, is a Dell laptop.Running Windows 10.That's the computer, I'm on now.And, it works fine!I have another, computer. That, I just formatted.After, formatting. Cortana takes you,through the steps of setting up the computer.US, one keyboard. And then, you get up...
  4. I just don't, understand this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. I just want a better understanding of 16-bit programs on Win10 64-bit

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I just want a better understanding of 16-bit programs on Win10 64-bit: So I keep hearing time after time again that it's simply not possible to run 16-bit programs on 64-bit hardware with out emulators or big software modification. There's two games I'm specifically wondering about very specifically: Sims Tower and Pharaoh by Sierra Games. I...
  6. NEED HELP locating the registry entry for the start menu programs, I did it before I just...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    NEED HELP locating the registry entry for the start menu programs, I did it before I just...: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/gsi92peeuvj61.png?width=553&format=png&auto=webp&s=d9bd581538ded08314aff78626d28d6d8f3efab8 submitted by /u/Keanupy [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lt76c3/need_help_locating_the_registry_entry_for_the/
  7. I need help understanding Delivery Optimization and what its downloading.

I need help understanding Delivery Optimization and what its downloading.: Ill start by saying my internet is incredibly slow, so anytime my ping in my games get high or a download seems like its taking longer than usual I begin trying to find what is using up all my bandwidth. I have been having problems with Delivery Optimization eating up all my...
  8. i just got this update, i don't understand what's it for

i just got this update, i don't understand what's it for: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/SnoopDoge93 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/h9ha80/i_just_got_this_update_i_dont_understand_whats_it/
  9. BSOD - Need help to understand what's going on

BSOD - Need help to understand what's going on: Hello, To start, some technical informations : OS : Windows 10 Pro (18363 with HF KB4560960, up to date) Hardware : i7 6700K (no overclocking done, and the temperature never rise above 50°c), Motherboard GA-Z170X-Gaming 3-EU, SSD 970 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500G, EVGA 1070,...
  10. what did my windows just do?

what did my windows just do?: woke up this morning turned on my pc and windows did something ive never seen before after it turned on it was like setting up windows like it was the first time... my jaw drops havent even had my coffee yet hit the next button a few times and...it booted up everything...