Windows 10: ciphered files in win10 after formatting a disk

Discus and support ciphered files in win10 after formatting a disk in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I had some folders under cipher from windows bitlocker and I planned to format the unit that contained them, so I placed them on an external disk,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Leila_1, May 13, 2022.

1. Leila_1 Win User

ciphered files in win10 after formatting a disk

I had some folders under cipher from windows bitlocker and I planned to format the unit that contained them, so I placed them on an external disk, hoping that after formatting the disk I could keep using the files. I didn't know that I needed to decipher them before, and I think I didn't even recall that they were ciphered when passing them to the ext. disk, so after formatting I tried to pass them to the desk, and I couldn't. I tried opening them, and I couldn't either.So I began to search for a way to fix this, and all I found is very disapointing, and really upsetting to be honest.I fou

:)

Leila_1, May 13, 2022
  2. tfwul Win User

Cipher vs Format on non-system disks

No question, just raising a subject to see whether I am right or wrong...

cipher /W:X
    versus
    format X: /fs:NTFS /p:2

cipher takes quite a long time, even for a small disk.
    (as a test: cipher took about 40 minutes for a 5GB HDD-partition)

for non-system disks (like backups) :
    temporarily copy all folders and files to another drive
    run above Format-cmd (admin)
    and restore the folders and files

will probably a much faster way.
    drawback: one may not have sufficient free space to move/copy hundreds of GB (or even a few TBs)...

tfwul, May 13, 2022
  3. Fernandz Win User
    How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, May 13, 2022
  4. Drone Win User

Using Cipher to Erase Disk Unused or Free Space

Using Cipher to Erase Disk Unused or Free Space

Lol I remember cipher from Win XP days. Today I was really surprised that Microsoft still includes cipher even in Windows 10. Pretty good utility if you want to scrub your disks clean.

Drone, May 13, 2022
Thema:

1. ciphered files in win10 after formatting a disk - Similar Threads - ciphered files win10

2. White lines after disk formatting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    White lines after disk formatting: Hey there,I got this screen on my DellN4050. After trying to sell the hdd from this laptop I performed a super cleaning process to the disk but decided to keep it for me, tried to run a clean copy of Windows here. Also tried Win 7 it came with it, then Win10 even 3 different...
  3. White lines after disk formatting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    White lines after disk formatting: Hey there,I got this screen on my DellN4050. After trying to sell the hdd from this laptop I performed a super cleaning process to the disk but decided to keep it for me, tried to run a clean copy of Windows here. Also tried Win 7 it came with it, then Win10 even 3 different...
  4. ciphered files in win10 after formatting a disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ciphered files in win10 after formatting a disk: I had some folders under cipher from windows bitlocker and I planned to format the unit that contained them, so I placed them on an external disk, hoping that after formatting the disk I could keep using the files. I didn't know that I needed to decipher them before, and I...
  5. ciphered files in win10 after formatting a disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ciphered files in win10 after formatting a disk: I had some folders under cipher from windows bitlocker and I planned to format the unit that contained them, so I placed them on an external disk, hoping that after formatting the disk I could keep using the files. I didn't know that I needed to decipher them before, and I...
  6. Microphone not working after disk format

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone not working after disk format: My girlfriend had to format her disk and install windows 10 again. After that her microphone stopped working. In control panel it shows that the mic is receiving her voice, but it doesnt do anything. Discord shows that she isnt speaking at all. I can ask for additional info...
  7. Microphone not working after disk format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone not working after disk format: My girlfriend had to format her disk and install windows 10 again. After that her microphone stopped working. In control panel it shows that the mic is receiving her voice, but it doesnt do anything. Discord shows that she isnt speaking at all. I can ask for additional info...
  8. native win10 backup file format

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    native win10 backup file format: Does the backup process that comes with win10 compress or encrypt the NAS destination files? Or can you pick open the files directly with a word processor? What happens if your backups are encrypted, your computer dies, and you want to restore to a different o/s or a later...
  9. file formats in win10 reset after Windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    file formats in win10 reset after Windows update: The same thing happens to me every time Windows 10 updates: file formats associations get reset to defaults appliactions. Not all of them but some like JPG/JPEG, PHP, etc. Why this happens? Is it normal behaviour of Windows?...
  10. Cipher vs Format on non-system disks

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cipher vs Format on non-system disks: No question, just raising a subject to see whether I am right or wrong... cipher /W:X versus format X: /fs:NTFS /p:2 cipher takes quite a long time, even for a small disk. (as a test: cipher took about 40 minutes for a 5GB HDD-partition) for non-system disks (like...