Windows 10: Claimed ownership of old HDD User folder multiple times, still can't open it

Discus and support Claimed ownership of old HDD User folder multiple times, still can't open it in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; The best I've gotten is the properties displaying that the folder weighs 0 bytes. I can see all the file trees while taking ownership, but it never... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Smith_5, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Smith_5 Win User

Claimed ownership of old HDD User folder multiple times, still can't open it

The best I've gotten is the properties displaying that the folder weighs 0 bytes. I can see all the file trees while taking ownership, but it never does anything. Most info out there seems to be outdated, referencing dialogs that no longer exist. There is no error message. Nothing happens upon attempting to open the folder.

:)

Smith_5, Dec 29, 2018
  2. alftoo Win User

After clean install of Windows 10, how do I cleanly take ownership of my old Users folder?

Hi,

The scenario:

• After major problems with Windows 10, the OS became corrupted and I was finally forced to do a clean install from a bootable USB that I created using the Media Creation Tool.
    • Under my previous Windows installation, I had relocated my user-folder to a separate HDD to conserve space.
    • I also made a backup of my personal files (created by the "Back up and Restore (Windows 7)" tool which comes with Windows 10 (found in Control panel) before making the clean install. However, Backup skipped several files because it does not backup files
      which reside on the same disk as where the backup is saved.
    • I performed the clean install by creating a local user account which I named identically to my old setup (so my user folder got named identically), and I then connected this local user account to my MS account. Windows displays itself as "Activated" in
      Control Panel / System and Security / System.
    I would like to:

• Again relocate my users folder to my HDD (my SSD is too small to accommodate it)
    • Re-claim ownership of my old user-folder on the HDD
    • Link OneDrive & Dropbox to the already existing Onedrive/Dropbox-folders within my old User-folder
    I understand that it is possible to take ownership of my old user-folder, but I'm not good with Windows permissions and SID's and I'm uncertain how to do this cleanly so that I won't cause some unexpected trouble down the road. I would like the User-folder
    in the same state as if I had performed an in-place upgrade preserving my personal files.

Many thanks in advance!

alftoo, Dec 29, 2018
  3. HDD Corrupt ?

Hi,

There are many possible reasons this issue is happening. We'd like to ask few questions below:

• What is the brand name of you Hard Disk Drive?
    • How old is the HDD?
    Since you already tried multiple troubleshooting steps, we suggest visiting the manufacturer's website. Find and download a hard drive diagnostic software to help resolve the issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Martin Bar, Dec 29, 2018
  4. slance310 Win User

Cannot take ownership of external HDD(permissions complications)

Hi,

When you take\change Ownership, the is a box to check right under where the Owner is listed to apply to folders and subfolders...

You may have missed that step... I will include the steps I use for this...

Use at your own risk...

Change Ownership and add OwnerName as a USER

Select Security Tab and then ADVANCED at the bottom.

Here you can edit the permissions for existing users and\or add another..

Click "CHANGE" next to Owner at the top of the window...

Select...

1) Advanced

2) Find Now

3) Select User from list...Your user name, or any you want to add.

4) check the box "Replace Owner On Subcontainers and Objects"

5) Hit "Apply"

Close out of all of the open windows and start over with the Advanced button...

1) select "ADD" near the bottom

2) select "Select A Principal" at the top...

3) Advanced

4) Find Now

5) Select User from list...Your user name, or any you want to add.

6) Give the new user\owner full permissions...

7) Do Not check the box "Include Inheritable Permissions From This Object's Parent""

8) Select "Apply"...

slance310, Dec 29, 2018
Thema:

1. Claimed ownership of old HDD User folder multiple times, still can't open it - Similar Threads - Claimed ownership old

2. Windows falsely claims activation key was used multiple times.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows falsely claims activation key was used multiple times.: I just got sent a new laptop from my workplace to replace an old one and despite HR not having an issue during setup down in Georgia last week, when I opened it up here in NC it started complaining about the product key being used on another device. My best guess is the MS...
  3. Multiple user folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple user folders: I bought a new laptop. I want to use it for work and home. I don’t want to create separate profiles. Is there any problem with creating another user folder? The default user folder would be for work and then another user folder would be for personal use....
  4. Multiple user folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple user folders: I bought a new laptop. I want to use it for work and home. I don’t want to create separate profiles. Is there any problem with creating another user folder? The default user folder would be for work and then another user folder would be for personal use....
  5. Old laptop hdd ownership

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Old laptop hdd ownership: I removed the hdd from an old laptop and installed on an empty bay of my new laptop to transfer files . I had to change ownership to gain access to the old hdd and anfter transferring all my personal files pictures ,music,documents and videos I installed the old hdd in the...
  6. Old laptop hdd ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old laptop hdd ownership: I removed the hdd from an old laptop and installed on an empty bay of my new laptop to transfer files . I had to change ownership to gain access to the old hdd and anfter transferring all my personal files pictures ,music,documents and videos I installed the old hdd in the...
  7. Old laptop hdd ownership

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Admin user still getting permission prompts/Can't take ownership of C drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Admin user still getting permission prompts/Can't take ownership of C drive.: HP OMEN; Windows 10 I just got this laptop. Went through set up using my existing Microsoft account without issue. However, although my profile is by default an admin, I am unable to do much of anything--even creating a new folder--within the C drive without getting some...
  9. Can't open user folder on old drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't open user folder on old drive: I installed an SSD and Windows 10 on my Lenovo laptop and connected my old hard drive externally. Now I don't have permission to access my user folder on the old drive. What to do? Also, the old drive has Windows 7 on it so the laptop asks which OS to use every time it...
  10. Can't see old user folder on external HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't see old user folder on external HDD: I'm updating my old Widows 7 desktop with Windows 10. To make things easier, I'm also replacing my SDD (C: operating system drive), and HDD (E: installed programs and general use drive). I have an 8Tb external hard drive (F: Backup and storage drive) which I stored data I...