Windows 10: Clarification about Windows.old

Discus and support Clarification about Windows.old in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I replaced the HDD on my dad's laptop to an SSD with a fresh install of Windows 10 yesterday. After inserting the SSD, I saw that the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ll579, Jun 6, 2020.

1. ll579 Win User

Clarification about Windows.old

Hello,

I replaced the HDD on my dad's laptop to an SSD with a fresh install of Windows 10 yesterday. After inserting the SSD, I saw that the windows.old folder had pretty much all of the important files backed up from my dad's old hard drive. I have heard that windows.old gets automatically deleted after 10 days but I wanted to ask a couple of questions to increase my understanding and know what my options are during the 10 day period.

I apologize in advance if this seems very long, drawn out, and redundant, but the answers I found online didn't address really specific questions that I had.

The folders I have in windows.old are: PerfLogs, Program Files, Program Files x86, Users, Windows

1. Does windows.old not get deleted if I moved it from the C Drive to, let's say, the Desktop? I understand that's how it works for specific files, like if I wanted to retrieve a word doc from windows.old and move it to the desktop so that it wouldn't get deleted with the folder after the 10 day period, but I was wondering if it works for the folder as a whole.

2. Does Windows specifically look for the windows.old folder, or is it anything that was in windows.old? For example, if I moved the Users folder out of windows.old and leave everything else in there, after the 10 period, does every other folder in windows.old get deleted, and Users is safe?

3. If I moved windows.old to an external hard drive, will it still get deleted after 10 days?

4. Can I manually replace the current folders I have with the ones I listed above i.e. Can I replaced the current Program Files folder with the Program Files folder found in windows.old? I literally just replaced the hard drive so there shouldn't be a whole lot of anything important in any of the current folders.

5. Is it possible to rollback to the version of Windows that the HDD had? The desktop looks very new and has that 'Windows-esque" feel to it, whereas the desktop on the HDD was very cluttered with PDF and Word docs, so I was wondering if rolling back could restore the desktop to that point.

I thank anyone who had the patience to read all of this and took the time to answer.

:)

ll579, Jun 6, 2020
  2. R-T-B Win User

BST forum rule clarification

Just for the record, I only suggested the clarification because suggesting everyone has a basic grasp of english simply is not true.

R-T-B, Jun 6, 2020
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jun 6, 2020
  4. Monk.e83 Win User

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Jun 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Clarification about Windows.old - Similar Threads - Clarification old

2. Clarification on the nFlags Parameter Default Value for PrintWindow Function

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Clarification on the nFlags Parameter Default Value for PrintWindow Function: Hello Community, I am currently working with the `PrintWindow` function for a Windows desktop application test and I came across a question regarding the `nFlags` parameter. I understand that this parameter can be used with the `PW_CLIENTONLY` flag to capture only the client...
  3. Clarification on the nFlags Parameter Default Value for PrintWindow Function

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clarification on the nFlags Parameter Default Value for PrintWindow Function: Hello Community, I am currently working with the `PrintWindow` function for a Windows desktop application test and I came across a question regarding the `nFlags` parameter. I understand that this parameter can be used with the `PW_CLIENTONLY` flag to capture only the client...
  4. Clarification on the nFlags Parameter Default Value for PrintWindow Function

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I need clarification on an invoice i received and i cannot access from my account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need clarification on an invoice i received and i cannot access from my account: An amount of €46.24 was taken from my credit card on 14/07/2023, the invoice no. associated with this payment is G025753192.Please confirm what this is for?RegardsDAVID DUNNE...
  6. Clarification of moving W10 from old mb an cpu to new mb and cpu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clarification of moving W10 from old mb an cpu to new mb and cpu: This is in preparation for hardware to be Windows 11 acceptable The upgrade will consist of· Replace old motherboard with new motherboard· Replace old CPU with new CPU· Replace old SATA SSD with new M.2 SSD· Clean install Windows 10 Activities...
  7. Clarification of moving W10 from old mb an cpu to new mb and cpu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clarification of moving W10 from old mb an cpu to new mb and cpu: This is in preparation for hardware to be Windows 11 acceptable The upgrade will consist of· Replace old motherboard with new motherboard· Replace old CPU with new CPU· Replace old SATA SSD with new M.2 SSD· Clean install Windows 10 Activities...
  8. Clarification of moving W10 from old mb an cpu to new mb and cpu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Clarification on keeping my old files while installing Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clarification on keeping my old files while installing Windows: Hi there, I have been facing issues with my Windows 10 Pro and the OS has now crashed. I have exhausted all my options in Windows RE and i am now left with installing windows via a pendrive. When i am installing, i am being asked the partition where the system needs to...
  10. Need clarification on OEM Win 10 activation for new owner of my old PC.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Need clarification on OEM Win 10 activation for new owner of my old PC.: Have a new PC on way and am selling my old acer predator with OEM Win 10 to a work colleague. I understand how to do the reset and how to deactivate the digital licence from my MS account. i just want to be sure that after doing that my colleague will be able to start up, use...