Windows 10: Clarification - MBR vs GPT

Discus and support Clarification - MBR vs GPT in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've installed Windows 10 almost 20 times, but always as an upgrade over an existing OS. I'm finally going to install it on a few systems I've just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DeaconFrost, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Clarification - MBR vs GPT

I've installed Windows 10 almost 20 times, but always as an upgrade over an existing OS. I'm finally going to install it on a few systems I've just completed building. I understand that if I am using UEFI, the drives must be formatted as GPT partitions.

I'm not finding any clear answers, so I am asking here, once and for all. Is there a benefit to running UEFI/GPT versus the traditional BIOS/MBR?

I never have more than 4 partitions on a drive, and don't plan on having a bootable disk larger than 1 TB on any system. Is performance the same?

I've had to troubleshoot a non-booting Windows 7 system that ran UEFI/GPT and it was a royal pain to get any repair functions working.

:)

DeaconFrost, Feb 4, 2016
  2. slance310 Win User

Restoring Windows 10 from backup ISO

Hi,

The new drive may have been preformatted as the wrong type of drive...

GPT vs MBR... When your old one is finished, check to see which it is, and compare to the new one...

slance310, Feb 4, 2016
  3. Installing and booting windows 10 on a GPT partition

Do you have a UEFI BIOS? This is the only way you can install Windows to a GPT disk, otherwise it can only be used to intialize data disks, especially if you want them to be larger than the 2tb limit Windows has for MBR (Legacy BIOS) disks.

GPT vs MBR Disk Comparison

To find this out, type msinfo in Start Search, in System Information look at the BIOS type. If MBR you most likely have Legacy BIOS. But you can boot into BIOS setup to check for UEFI settings that may be disabled, or CSM/Legacy BIOS that may be disabled.
    To install to UEFI one must also boot the installation media as a UEFI device.

More here:
    Clean Install Windows 10

and here:
    UEFI BIOS vs. Legacy BIOS - YouTube

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Feb 4, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

Clarification - MBR vs GPT

topgundcp, Feb 4, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    Performance will not be affected, but if you do ever decide to dual boot, create data partitions etc, UEFI is preferable.

A hidden benefit is secure boot which makes it harder for malware to hijack PC.

If PC can run it, you should choose this option really.

Also, if boot sectors get corrupted, can be easier to repair as boot sectors are always separate from OS, unlike MBR where boot sectors can be integral with OS partition (but usually separate).

You should not be jaundiced by Windows 7 experiences as Windows has moved on - most new installs in last few years are nearly all UEFI. Windows 10 is much easier to reinstall anyway (not a UEFI issue though).

cereberus, Feb 4, 2016
  6. That's what I was hoping to hear. I assumed it was more difficult since Windows 7 is now "aged", so Windows 10's options for repairing a non-booting system would be a lot more friendly to UEFI.

Thanks!

DeaconFrost, Feb 4, 2016
  7. topgundcp Win User
    My suggestion was based on what you said in the OP. Personally, I use EFI in all my PC's except the old one that EFI is not supported. Beside the Secure boot option which I disabled, I don't see any benefit one way or other.

However, it is very easy to convert your Windows from GPT to MBR and vice versa.

topgundcp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Clarification - MBR vs GPT

1. Clarification - MBR vs GPT - Similar Threads - Clarification MBR GPT

2. MBR To GPT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MBR To GPT: Hello there!I have installed Windows 11 with a weird way I found on Youtube.Although my system supports all the specifications to run Windows 11 and I am stuck at the secure boot thing.I activated Secure Boot from my motherboard and now I have to run MBR2GPT.EXE and an error...
  3. Mbr vs gpt boot up time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Mbr vs gpt boot up time: Hey guys. I understand the difference between mbr and gpt, I wanted to know from who has experience which of the two is faster for boot up time, Does it even affect boot up time? Or are they just the same? 166912
  4. GPT vs MBR speed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    GPT vs MBR speed: The merits of GPT partitioning are well documented and discussed. But does O/S disk partitioning under GPT best MBR definitively in actual usage - apart from boot? Comment from knowledgeable techs or those with first-hand comparison of the two schemes is invited. 160324
  5. GPT vs MBR speed

in Windows 10 Support
    GPT vs MBR speed: The merits of GPT partitioning are well documented and discussed. But not seen is whether Win 10 normal in-use performance (apart from boot) is faster or smoother when the O/S disk is GPT. Comments from knowledgeable techs or those with first-hand experience is invited....
  6. GPT vs MBR problem. Why this ERROR

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    GPT vs MBR problem. Why this ERROR: Why windows 10 is not getting reinstalled on GPT or MBR partition on same PC? I am reinstalling fresh windows 10 in my PC. But this time I got this ERROR. Why this ERROR as windows 10 was previously intalled on this same PC, same partition? Why I need to convert my...
  7. MBR or GPT ????

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MBR or GPT ????: hello, I had my 120GB SDD replaced by a 480GB one and made a clean install of win10 got an adapter to use the small SDD as an external backup disk I get a window demanding that I initialize the disk I do not have a clue what I should select...MBR or GPT ? *Huh I intend...
  8. MBR vs. GPT

MBR vs. GPT: Are there solid benefits in switching from standard MBR to GPT? Now that I have Windows 10, I'm wondering if I should do it. I have no need for more partitions (currently 3 drives with 1 primary partition each) or partitions larger than 2TB and likely never will. But I'm...
  9. GPT vs MBR

GPT vs MBR: Ok folks, these two partition formats are confusing to me and looks like a lot of others too. I have seen what a hard drive looks like with GPT partitions, lots of partitions taking up a lot of hard drive space!!! I have seen MBR partitions, not needing a lot of hard drive...
  10. GPT or MBR

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    GPT or MBR: Or MBR or GPT Asus laptop with 8.1 installed. One disk, 2 partitions. I've installed 10 a number of times, VM and dual boot on desktop. Went to install 10, dual boot. When I got to picking the partition, said "Cannot be installed, selected disk is of the MBR partition...