Windows 10: Clarification of Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro upgrade activations

Discus and support Clarification of Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro upgrade activations in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I work in the IT department for a local government. During the initial release of Windows 10, we upgraded as many PC’s as we could during the one year... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by CharlieMurphy1, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Clarification of Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro upgrade activations

I work in the IT department for a local government. During the initial release of Windows 10, we upgraded as many PC’s as we could during the one year free period. We still had a number of PC’s that could not be upgraded at the time due to software compatibility issues. With those problems resolved, we want to move forward an upgrade the remaining PC’s to from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10. All of the PC’s were originally purchased with Windows 7 Pro preinstalled.

Last week as a test, we took one of the PC’s and by going to the Microsoft Media Creation Tool website, clicked on the Update Now link. Ultimately, not only did the PC upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, but it activated. Under Settings – Update & Security – Activation, it states Windows is activated with a digital license. We also had success with activation by creating the Windows 10 ISO and installing from the DVD on another PC to upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10. Essentially both of these appeared to be free upgrades.

I did open a chat session in which the technician explained that we could move forward with the Windows 10 upgrades on those PC’s and expect them to activate for free. However if after that activation there is a hardware change, Windows 10 will not reactivate without purchasing a new key. If this is true, is there a document we can obtain to back that up? We simply want to be certain we remain compliant with the policies regarding the OS and upgrades.

Many of these PC’s will likely be replaced next year, but we want to get what we currently have off of Windows 7 as soon as possible.

As this is a local government, we would like some clarification on whether we can continue to expect our future Windows 10 upgrades from Windows 7 Pro to activate for free or do we need to purchase the Windows 10 upgrade licenses. And can you point me to policy documentation that confirms one way or the other?

:)

CharlieMurphy1, Mar 29, 2019

2. Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

This is what I used

"

Follow these steps to upgrade from Windows 10 Home if you have a Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8 Pro Pack, Windows 8.1 Pro, or Windows 8.1 Pro Pack product key:

• Select the Start button, then select Settings >
      Update & security
      > Activation.
    • Select Change product key, and then enter this 25-character default product key:

VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Important

This default product key will upgrade your device to Windows 10 Pro, but won't activate it.

• Select Next to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.
    • After your device is upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, you'll need to activate Windows. Select the Start button, then select
      Settings > Update & security > Activation.
    • Select Change product key, and then enter your 25-character Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8 Pro Pack, Windows 8.1 Pro, or Windows 8.1 Pro Pack product key.
    • Select Next to activate Windows 10 Pro.
    "

GrahameBarclay, Mar 29, 2019
  3. Clean Windows 10 (?PRO?) install

I have bought a legit "Windows 10 Pro" key of a key website. It is legit since i'm currently using it for over a year now. I currently have Windows 10 Pro installed on my PC and I want to do a clean install. I just can't find the windows 10 Pro download in the tool. But if i could use a windows 10 pro key with a normal windows 10 install, I'll be good to go.

JeroenBeunckens, Mar 29, 2019
  4. Laurijan Win User

Clarification of Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro upgrade activations

Windows 10 Activation (Insider)

I bought Windows 7 Pro OEM key from G2Play.net for 12€ to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro - worked like a charm but be advised if you buy a OEM key you can not download the Win 7 iso from microsoft and have to get it elsewhere.

Laurijan, Mar 29, 2019
Thema:

Clarification of Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro upgrade activations

1. Clarification of Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro upgrade activations - Similar Threads - Clarification Pro Pro

2. windows 7 pro upgrade to 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 7 pro upgrade to 10: im trying to upgrade my pc from windows 7 pro to windows 10 and i have tried the online windows download and it will not allow me to choose the OS version i want and it will not allow me to save to a flashdrive...
  3. Windows 7 Pro upgrade to Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7 Pro upgrade to Windows 10 Pro: I recently used the msi tool to update a windows 7 pro machine to windows 10 pro. It appears to have a activated the install just fine and is working? Is this install legal?...
  4. Windows 10 Pro Upgrade will not activate with 2 Windows 7 Pro Licesnes

Windows 10 Pro Upgrade will not activate with 2 Windows 7 Pro Licesnes: I am trying to upgrade my laptop to Windows 10 Pro. I used to have Windows 10 Home, and the license would be associated to the system, not the account. I am using two different Windows 7 Professional Licenses, but the activation servers would prompt me an error. 0x803f7001...
  5. Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro Upgrade

Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro Upgrade: I want to upgrade a Windows 7 PC which by the requirements is upgradable to Windows 10 Pro. I went to the Microsoft Store and the only option is to Download WIndows 10 Pro. My Windows 7 PC really requires a clean install. Does Windows 10 Pro give me the option to format...
  6. Upgrade Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro

Upgrade Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro: I have a computer that I am attempting to upgrade to Windows 10. It is currently Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I have attempted to use the Media Creation Tool to do this as I have done probably a 100 times at time point and I am not able to upgrade without erasing all the settings...
  7. Windows 7 Pro upgrade to Windows 10 Pro

Windows 7 Pro upgrade to Windows 10 Pro: Have tried several suggestions on upgrade of windows 7 Pro. Still get same error message: This PC cannot be upgraded to to Windows 10. PC is not yet supported for this version of windows 10...........
  8. Upgrade of Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro

Upgrade of Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro: Get thew following error: This PC cannot be upgraded to Windows 10. Your PC is not supported yet on this version of Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-of-windows-7-pro-to-windows-10-pro/558d9872-9d50-4dfe-9592-3c549d64ff50
  9. Windows 7 Pro upgrade to Windows 10 Pro

Windows 7 Pro upgrade to Windows 10 Pro: We are experiencing a strange issue with domain joined workstations when upgrading them to Windows 10. When running setup.exe or setupprep.exe from the install DVD/ISO we get: "Setup couldn't start properly. Please reboot your PC and trying running Windows 10 Setup...
  10. Windows 10 Pro activatoin clarification

Windows 10 Pro activatoin clarification: So, I have been using the insider preview of 10 Enterprise for a while now. Later I learned I can't keep using it after the final release so I decided to downgrade to pro. I installed pro from an ISO and skipped the part that asked for a key after trying several times to use...