Windows 10: Clarified:the free upgrade offer to Win 10 is ending July 29th, really

Discus and support Clarified:the free upgrade offer to Win 10 is ending July 29th, really in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Clarified: the free upgrade offer to Windows 10 is ending July 29th, really Microsoft has responded to speculation that Microsoft left itself some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Cluster Head, May 7, 2016.

1. Clarified:the free upgrade offer to Win 10 is ending July 29th, really

Clarified: the free upgrade offer to Windows 10 is ending July 29th, really
    Microsoft has responded to speculation that Microsoft left itself some wiggle room

Read more: http://www.winbeta.org/news/clarifie...ding-july-29th

Cluster Head, May 7, 2016

2. So... what happens with respect to Windows 10 licensing the day after? Someone high up in Microsoft indicated that the O/S won't go to subscription pricing but that's not the same as Microsoft saying it. I personally don't believe that Windows 10 will be the last version of operating system they'll ever sell.

:)

Justin Case, Jul 18, 2016
  3. Romaneus Win User
    Expiration?

The free Windows 10 upgrade offer ends July 29th, 2016.

Romaneus, Jul 18, 2016
  4. Clarified:the free upgrade offer to Win 10 is ending July 29th, really

Andre Da Costa, Jul 18, 2016
  5. Winuser Win User
    I don't see MS charging a subscription for user to continue using Windows 10. I also think bug fixes and security patches will continue to by free. I wouldn't be surprised if sometime in the near future MS starts charging a subscription fee for those who want to continue adding new features to Windows 10.

Winuser, Jul 19, 2016
  6. I think the problem becomes one of program-to-app conversions that are taking place up in Redmond. Right now, many programs (and hardware drivers) are delivered as a program (unsigned). When something becomes an "app" it becomes signed and may likely follow the same path that Apple's apps take: they're provisioned for a single device ID.

I just noticed that a popular printer driver for the Toshiba eStudio printer now indicates in Settings -> Printers that there's an app version of this now available. So in theory, you'd have to download that from the Windows Store in order to receive it. This really isn't the way I.T. now delivers updates to workstations in a business. We roll out updates to printer drivers, we don't expect them to arrive via a store methodology. What happens in the future if printer drivers come with a fee attached?

You might plug in your new digital camera or a USB san disk only to find that Microsoft wants to charge you $0.99 for the driver related to it. It's not as far-fetched as it seems. Until Microsoft officially states what the future looks like, there are really no guarantees. (Apple themselves somewhere along the line decided to charge for a codec in QuickTime that they formerly included for free. And they pulled SoundStudio out of OS X as well.)

Justin Case, Jul 19, 2016
  7. Some people actually do not like free, for them free = low quality, so MS has to catch up with those guys as well.

Not yet. But Windows will eventually be sold as Windows not as Windows 10, just plain Windows, so it is just a matter of time.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke.../#5756f000dfab

TairikuOkami, Jul 19, 2016
  8. hawkman Win User

Clarified:the free upgrade offer to Win 10 is ending July 29th, really

Hi Justin,
    In essence that means you can buy it, but it wont work!!
    CANT see that happening.

Roy

Edit MS has allready said it will miss its 1 billion target date

hawkman, Jul 19, 2016
  9. larc919 Win User
    Microsoft may want to be a bit wary of getting too greedy with Windows. They aren't the only people capable of coming up with a computer OS. And some of those others would love nothing better than sticking it to Microsoft by stealing lots of their Windows customers.

larc919, Jul 19, 2016
  10. Have you ever bought an airline ticket and arrived at check-in only then to find out that they're going to charge you $25 for your suitcase? http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog/...ge-fees-chart/

How about those hidden fees when you book a hotel room online? http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articl...Pump-Your-Bill

The same is true for rentals, insurance policies, phone service, buying online and cloud-based anything these days.

I just bought a pair of Zeiss VR One virtual reality goggles at Frye's to find out when I got it home that it didn't include any slide-in tray(s) for any smartphone whatsoever. And of course Frye's didn't have any in stock so yes, it was useless to me.

In a world that's driven by "lowest cost" on Google -> Shopping, then people have learned how to hide all kinds of fees.

11. BunnyJ New Member
    I wouldn't take anything you read on Forbes serious. The author is a well known anti MS shrill.

BunnyJ, Jul 19, 2016
  12. BunnyJ New Member
    I think that you're making a lot of assumptions here. While MS might want to move some of it's software to an app platform it doesn't mean that other software vendors are going to head in the same direction. And there is no reason to think that there will be a charge for drivers in the future.

Keep calm and carry on.

BunnyJ, Jul 19, 2016
  13. Clarified:the free upgrade offer to Win 10 is ending July 29th, really

I agree. I've recently invested a fair amount of research into Ubuntu (both server and desktop versions). It's probably a viable solution for a lot of people.

The point that annoys me the most is when I pay for DVDs and CDs for a record collection (not cheap) and then the recording industry works deals behind the scenes with Apple and/or Microsoft to prevent us from ripping those to a digital copy and then playing them on our computers or portables. We used to be able to do that but Apple realizes that if they can force you to do so, you might just pay for the digital version a second time on iTunes just so that you can have an "authorized" copy. Really...? /sarcasm

14. Winuser Win User
    I always thought that 1 billion was a Pie in the Sky number. It never hurts to dream though. *Smile

Winuser, Jul 19, 2016
  15. BunnyJ New Member
    It would go against what they have stated concerning the Windows 10 service. When 10 came out it was clearly stated that it would be a free upgrade until the 29th of this month and all future updates/upgrades would be free. There is no reason to think that this will change.

BunnyJ, Jul 19, 2016
Thema:

Clarified:the free upgrade offer to Win 10 is ending July 29th, really

1. Clarified:the free upgrade offer to Win 10 is ending July 29th, really - Similar Threads - Clarified free upgrade

2. Will the free upgrade to windows 10 will be offered again before windows 7 support ends?...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will the free upgrade to windows 10 will be offered again before windows 7 support ends?...: I am running windows 7 i previously installed windows 10 but had to roll back as a driver was not detected it seems that in some cases windows 10 will run on my system so i am tempted to try again do you know if a free upgrade to windows 10 will be offered again before...
  3. Windows 10 after free offer ends

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 after free offer ends: Hi my friend is unsure if he wants Windows 10 or not...he currently has XP. It has passed the Windows 8 compatability test, so will accept Windows 10. If I install Windows 7 pro as a clean install, then upgrade to Windows 10....but after the 30 days, decide to reinstall...
  4. July 29th not June 29th

in Windows 10 Support
    July 29th not June 29th: I was getting so excited for windows 10 on the 29th June....and then I realised it's July not June lol! Silly me, I must have read it wrong. And there I was looking forward to installing it tomorrow! I even bought myself a new SSD and cloned my W8.1 over! This is how I...
  5. July 29th -> If I upgrade now, will it still be free?

July 29th -> If I upgrade now, will it still be free?: Hello everyone, Sorry if this question is stupid. But if I upgrade today will it still be free? According to some websites the price goes up on the 30th, but microsoft itself seems to state very strongly that the price goes up on the 29th. If I update now will I have to...
  6. Windows 10 Install after the 29th July

Windows 10 Install after the 29th July: Hi, As long as you follow the steps on the enclosed link will to get the ticket will this work for a free upgrade after the 29th July ? Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums Thanks, 54270
  7. Taking full control of Win 10 upgrades on 29th July ... ?

Taking full control of Win 10 upgrades on 29th July ... ?: Hello I have used the tray app to register for Win 10 upgrade on a number of PCs / laptops (Win 7 & Win 8). However I am now a bit concerned that come "D-Day", the app will automatically download the installation files (or at least a significant amount of them) on 29th...
  8. New end of free Windows 10 upgrade offer notification

in Windows 10 News
    New end of free Windows 10 upgrade offer notification: If you have Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 (SP1), the following full-screen notification might appear on your computer: Sorry to interrupt, but this is important. Windows 10 free upgrade offer ends July 29. [img] This notification is a reminder...
  9. Still no end to free upgrade to win 10 from Win 7!

Still no end to free upgrade to win 10 from Win 7!: Just bought a pre-loved laptop for Mrs (Sheelba, as I like to think of her) for our 34th Wedding anniversary. She already has a pre-hated android tablet which she won't use 'cos it hates her back too! I saw the Dell Latitude E6400 on Tuesday, and bought it the next day,...
  10. Here’s what happens after the July 29th free Windows 10 offer ends

in Windows 10 News
    Here’s what happens after the July 29th free Windows 10 offer ends: Here’s what happens after the July 29th free Windows 10 offer ends When Windows 10 was released to consumers in July of 2015, it was free for all Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users — for one year. This was a new tactic for Microsoft. Instead of having consumers pay for...