Windows 10: class config code 56 Inte ethernet connection i218-V

Discus and support class config code 56 Inte ethernet connection i218-V in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just had to let my troubleshooter reset nmy network adapter settings and it ended up removing the atual ethernet adapter ao I uninstalled all my vpn... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by 34486, Oct 20, 2019.

1. 34486 Win User

class config code 56 Inte ethernet connection i218-V

I just had to let my troubleshooter reset nmy network adapter settings and it ended up removing the atual ethernet adapter ao I uninstalled all my vpn **** and I am now unable to install any way or any version of the ethernet driver. What do I do now??? My Mb is maximuss vii hero and I am using the default ethernet port. I tried Intels unstaller, didn't work. Nothing changes no matter what I do. I need a solution asap as I need my servers back up. I am on the latest version of 10 64 bit pro.

:)

34486, Oct 20, 2019

2. Ethernet driver thrwing an error "Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device. (Code 56)"

Hi,

I had to reinstall the RealTek Ethernet driver on my Windows 10 [1803] 64 Bit V5.3 2019 machine

The device manager shows the status as "Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device. (Code 56)"

I do not have any VPN connection

I disabled Anit virus and tried installing the driver and still got the same error

Any suggestion to resolve the issue

Thanks

Mahesh Subrmaniam, Oct 20, 2019
  3. FIX | Error Code 10 | Intel I218-LM Ethernet controller

Hello all,

I've found a fix (not a workaround) for anyone experiencing "Error code 10" with a computer using the Intel I218-LM ethernet controller. Some research online shows to me that no one has yet encountered this solution, so I've posted it to see if it helps
    others.

This involves transferring files to a flash drive, so ensure you have a USB flash drive that you can use for this fix (all data on the drive will be wiped). The size of the drive doesn't matter, as the entire contents of the files being copied over will
    total less than 30MB in size, so even a small 1GB or less stick will work.

Note: If you are not comfortable or familiar with using command prompt, this fix may not be for you. Consult with a reputable technician, friend, or family, that is familiar with using command prompt. I am in no way responsible
    for any potential damages that may occur from improper utilization of any of the tools or steps provided in this guide.

Note: Ensure that the account you're using to perform this fix has administrative privileges.

• Plug in your USB drive if you haven't yet already and ensure Windows recognizes it properly.
    • Disconnect the ethernet cable from the ethernet port of the computer that is affected by the error (if not done already).
    • Travel to
      https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19186/Intel-Ethernet-Connections-Boot-Utility-Preboot-Images-and-EFI-Drivers
      ; download the Intel Ethernet Connections Utility. I use the "PREBOOT.exe" file, not the tar.
    • This download is a self-extracting archive. Double click on it and specify where you want a new folder created to insert the archive contents into. You can leave the default directory if this is not concerning to you.
    • Ensure that your flash drive is formatted and blank. If it's not, format it to it's standard file format.
    • Go to the directory where the archive extracted the downloaded contents to. Navigate into it; you'll need to find "BootUtil" folder that is nested inside the directory (usually
      C:\Intel22.0.1\APPS\BootUtil).
    • Copy over the 'BootUtil' folder that was extracted from the archive to the newly-created directory in step 3, to your flash drive.
    • Open up command prompt using administrative privileges (right click on CMD.exe and hit Run As Administrator, or if you are in an enterprise environment, click Run as Different User and enter in credentials of an administrative account).
    • Navigate command prompt to the BootUtil folder on the flash drive. For most users, it will be:

"(drive letter):\BootUtil\"
    • You should find some folders within the BootUtil folder. Depending if your computer is using a 32-bit or 64-bit OS, you will need to navigate into either "Win32" or "Winx64" folder (Win32 for 32-bit OS, Winx64 for 64-bit OS).
    • Type in the name of the BootUtil executable that is located in the folder you just navigated into. It should look like this:

class config code 56 Inte ethernet connection i218-V 081123e3-406f-4168-b0cb-265bc61022c1.png

(Ignore the "Intel BootUtil for Error Code 10" directory, that was made by me and is not necessary for this)

(The "D:" drive letter depends on your flash drive's respective letter assignment, so it may be different on your computer)

(The "bootutilw64e.exe" will be different if you use a 32-bit OS; it will also be located in "Win32" and not "Winx64")
    • After the executable name, type in " -DEFCFG". There is a space after the executable name, and right before the dash:

class config code 56 Inte ethernet connection i218-V 383466d5-1eb9-4814-a5e2-ca8601c47277.png

• After you have verified the entire command as-shown above, press the Enter key to execute the BootUtil to reset the Intel I218-LM's controller configuration to its default settings.
    • If it worked, you should see the utility report that the controller's configuration has been reset successfully. Once you see this, close out of command prompt.
    • Reboot the computer as a proactive measure. Reconnect the ethernet cable to the ethernet port of the computer. You should see the ethernet port's LED indicators on/blinking for activity. If they remain solid, you may need to repeat these steps.

• Test to see if you can achieve network connectivity (obtain IP address if DHCP, DNS, default gateway, surf the web, etc).
    • Also check your Device Manager to see that your Intel I218-LM Ethernet controller does not show the yellow exclamation mark for error code 10 within its respective icon.
    • Try to disable your wireless adapter or disconnect from the wireless network (if you have a wifi adapter for the computer), and test to see if network connectivity/traffic loads just with the ethernet controller connected to your network.
    • If you continue to experience issues with network connectivity, even though you do not see error code 10 for the controller still, try to reboot your modem/router/switch/hub to ensure your computer has an appropriate gateway/DHCP server to communicate with.
      You may also need to reinstall the Ethernet controller drivers on the computer itself as well.

Please provide feedback in the comments to let me know if this worked out for you or not. Thank you!

Jayson Hansen, Oct 20, 2019
  4. class config code 56 Inte ethernet connection i218-V

FIX (UPDATED) | Error Code 10 | Intel I218-LM Ethernet controller

Folks,

Back early last year, I posted a fix for the Intel I218-LM ethernet controller and the issue of error code 10 device cannot start. Since this time,
    I've discovered some critical details that I may have accidentally left out or discovered at a later time, to which gets the controller to be reset correctly.

Please see this URL for the original fix posted: FIX | Error Code 10 | Intel I218-LM Ethernet controller

WINDOWS FIX:

Below are the specific steps I took (corrected/updated) to reset the configuration for this specific adapter; there are
    two main ways to go about doing this fix. The below steps are specifically to be conducted
    within Windows. If this doesn't work for you,
    it can be done in Linux also (Ubuntu Live CD), which is placed below these steps in a separate section.

1. Plug in your USB drive if you haven't yet already and ensure Windows recognizes it properly.
    2. Disconnect the ethernet cable from the ethernet port of the computer that is affected by the error (if not done already).
    3. Travel to Download Intel® Ethernet Connections Boot Utility, Preboot Images, and EFI Drivers;
      download the Intel Ethernet Connections Utility. I use the "PREBOOT.exe" file, not the tar.
    4. This download is a self-extracting archive. Double click on it and specify where you want a new folder created to insert the archive contents into. You can leave the default directory if this is not concerning to you.
    5. Ensure that your flash drive is formatted and blank. If it's not, format it to it's standard file format.
    6. Go to the directory where the archive extracted the downloaded contents to. Navigate into it; you'll need to find "BootUtil" folder that is nested inside the directory (usually C:\Intel22.0.1\APPS\BootUtil).
    7. Copy over the 'BootUtil' folder that was extracted from the archive to the newly-created directory in step 3, to your flash drive.
    8. Open up command prompt using administrative privileges (right click on CMD.exe and hit Run As Administrator, or if you are in an enterprise environment, click Run as Different User and enter in credentials of an administrative account).
    9. Navigate command prompt to the BootUtil folder on the flash drive. For most users, it will be:

"(drive letter):\BootUtil\"
    10. You should find some folders within the BootUtil folder. Depending if your computer is using a 32-bit or 64-bit OS, you will need to navigate into either "Win32" or "Winx64" folder (Win32 for 32-bit OS, Winx64 for 64-bit OS).
    11. Type in the name of the BootUtil executable that is located in the folder you just navigated into.

(The drive letter depends on your flash drive's respective letter assignment, check Computer or diskpart volumes to verify)

(The "bootutilw64e.exe" will be different if you use a 32-bit OS; it will also be located in "Win32" and not "Winx64")
    12. After the executable name, type in "-ALL -DEFCFG". Double-check spacing due to multiple triggers specified:

class config code 56 Inte ethernet connection i218-V 7e732c3b-7c44-466c-a8a0-99aa3b592e95?upload=true.png

13. After you have verified the entire command as-shown above, press the Enter key to execute the BootUtil to reset the Intel I218-LM's controller configuration (and all other applicable NICs) to its default settings.
    14. If it worked, you should see the utility report that the controller's configuration has been reset successfully. Once you see this, close out of command prompt.
    15. Reboot the computer as a proactive measure. Reconnect the ethernet cable to the ethernet port of the computer. You should see the ethernet port's LED indicators on/blinking for activity. If they remain solid, you may need to repeat these steps.

• If you receive the error to reinstall a missing or corrupted driver when attempting to run this command; within command prompt, navigated to the same directory of ...\Intelxxxx\APPS\BootUtil\Winx64\, type in the following command:
      • install.bat
        • This will effectively install the necessary driver to use this specific utility correctly (all of its intended features). You may then re-run the original command specified in the above steps.

class config code 56 Inte ethernet connection i218-V 41f3d25a-0baa-4190-a328-468750662f48?upload=true.png
    LINUX fix:

This involves using a Linux live CD distro, meaning you need to download any major flavor of Linux (I recommend Ubuntu), burn it to a DVD or make a bootable USB flash drive using the ISO downloaded, then booting to the disk/USB drive and selecting to "Try
    Linux/Ubuntu before installing" option.

You also need to have a USB flash drive with the downloaded Intel PREBOOT software (listed in the above previous steps for Windows fix) but ensure it's for LINUX and NOT windows. It will be a tar gz archive, which you can extract later from within the Linux
    environment.

Once booted into the Linux OS environment, which has been loaded from your disk/USB drive to RAM, follow the steps below:

1. Insert the USB drive containing the Linux-specific PREBOOT Intel software copied to it, and navigate into it using File Browser.
    2. Double-click into the TAR GZ archive of PREBOOT contents on the USB drive, and extract the contents to a new folder (name it PREBOOT).
    3. Open Terminal and go into the same directory structure from within the newly-extracted PREBOOT folder (as the Windows-specific content would also show):
      • PREBOOT\APPS\BootUtil\Linux_x64\ (or Linux32 for 32-bit Linux OS environment)
    4. Type in the following command to run the same utility as you would in Windows:
      • ./sudo bootutil64e -all -defcfg

Make sure to restart the computer after running this either in Windows or Linux. Even if the Intel flash utility complains about the adapter if you re-run the command, as long as you see activity on the LEDs for the adapter, and you're acquiring a valid
    IP address, etc. the issue is resolved. The utility sometimes spits back incorrect info after applying the "fix" and rebooting.

If you're STILL getting issues with the adapter after performing either fix in Windows or Linux, you may need to save the working configuration of a known working computer that has the Intel I218-LM adapter to USB media, then restore
    the saved configuration to the affected adapter:

class config code 56 Inte ethernet connection i218-V 0a67ca0a-3958-45d2-8f96-3655e0904520?upload=true.png

Type in "bootutilw64e.exe -HELP" within command prompt to see the list of commands/triggers available and details for each command/trigger.

Additional tips/recommendations for this issue:

• Try to disable your wireless adapter or disconnect from the wireless network (if you have a wifi adapter for the computer), and test to see if network connectivity/traffic loads just with the ethernet controller connected to your network.
    • If you continue to experience issues with network connectivity, even though you do not see error code 10 for the controller still, try to reboot your modem/router/switch/hub to ensure your computer has an appropriate gateway/DHCP server to communicate with.
      You may also need to reinstall the Ethernet controller drivers on the computer itself as well.
    • Also confirm within Power Management settings for the adapter in Device Manager, that no power saving options are enabled, and that the computer is NOT allowed to turn off the device to save power.

Again, hope this helps even further from my original posting on this... and again, post more questions/comments/feedback so I can re-check this and update accordingly.

Jayson Hansen, Oct 20, 2019
Thema:

class config code 56 Inte ethernet connection i218-V

1. class config code 56 Inte ethernet connection i218-V - Similar Threads - class config code

2. Device class setup continues Code 56.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Device class setup continues Code 56.: Recently, I opened my laptop to work, but I noticed that I could not connect to any of the networks. There is no button to turn on Wi-Fi, and in the device manager it says that "configuration of the device class continues". I removed the VPN because I know that sometimes it...
  3. Device class setup continues Code 56.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Device class setup continues Code 56.: Recently, I opened my laptop to work, but I noticed that I could not connect to any of the networks. There is no button to turn on Wi-Fi, and in the device manager it says that "configuration of the device class continues". I removed the VPN because I know that sometimes it...
  4. Device class setup continues Code 56.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Problem with Ethernet Code 56

Problem with Ethernet Code 56: Hello! Today when i tried to plug in the ethernet cable it sudd enly didnt work, it has been working great until now i get the warning sign and a message that says ”Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device, Code 56” and i have been trying to fix...
  6. Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device. Code 56

Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device. Code 56: Hi, My windows 10 system was working fine, but after windows update, TAP-Windows Provider V9 network not able to reinstall. TAP network Adapter failed to configure with message "Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device. Code 56" Same network...
  7. Code 56

Code 56: Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device code 56 What should i do? All my network adapter gone, i cant connect to any internet even im using ethernet cablr...
  8. “Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device (code 56)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    “Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device (code 56): Hello people, so I upgraded to windows 10 pro from windows 10 home and now my internet adapters no longer work I’ve looked everywhere,watched every video,tried everything and nothing’s worked I can no longer connect to Internet via Ethernet or wireless connection and need...
  9. Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device (code-56)

Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device (code-56): I was using a D-LINK dwa-131 nano n usb wifi adapter for the last 6 months. Yesterday i tried to update the driver for the adapter. I downloaded the drivers from http://us.dlink.com/products/connect/wireless-n-nano-usb-adapter/ After the successful installation, the...
  10. Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device, Code 56

in Windows 10 News
    Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device, Code 56: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If the internet is not working on your PC and you see an error message called Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device (Code 56), you need to check out these solutions. This problem happens with [...] This post Windows is still...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows is stillsetting up the class configuration windows 10