Windows 10: Classic alt+tab

Discus and support Classic alt+tab in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I want to have the classic alt+tab with icons instead of thumbnails. Various websites say you can get this by adding a AltTabSettings key to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/lunaranus, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Classic alt+tab

I want to have the classic alt+tab with icons instead of thumbnails. Various websites say you can get this by adding a AltTabSettings key to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer but this didn't work for me.

Is there an alternative way?

submitted by /u/lunaranus
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/lunaranus, Dec 3, 2019

2. Restore Classic ALT+TAB A-B B-A switching with mouse, not random

The very three critical combinations to understand before even participating in this thread:

1. Windows 10 with classic ALT+Tab registry key restoration (all over the web, look it up).
    2. Use any program that customizes the key bindings to the fourth and fifth mouse buttons (the thumb buttons); I have been using X-Mouse Button Control.
    3. Set the forward-thumb button to ALT+Tab (if using X-Mouse Button Control set to "Simulated Keys (pressed)" and paste {ALT}{TAB}.

This is not about using the physical keyboard to ALT+Tab, this thread is about assigning the Classic Alt+Tab function to a mouse and having it switch between the two active windows only instead of randomly wandering around different unrelated windows.

Here is list of open Windows for both Windows 7 and 10:

Window A [code/work browser]
    Window B [IDE/code editor]
    Window C [notepad]
    Window ♣ [funny cat pictures]
    Window Beta [separate browser for developer chat]
    Window Waldo [browser used to find an answer drowning in responses by people who just don't get it]

Typically when I work I switch between my code editor and my test browser however this is just an example as I use the Classic non-borked Alt+Tab all the time between any two windows and when I'm done with a pair I will manually switch to another pair typically.

To trigger the correct behavior press and hold ALT, press Tab once and then let go of both keys.

Windows 7 Classic Alt+Tab (correct mouse-ALT+Tab behavior):

Window A
    Code:
     Window B [browser / reload / worked? No? Back to code!]
     Window A [code]
     Window A [code]
     Window A [code]

Windows 10 Classic Alt+Tab restored via registry (incorrect mouse-ALT+Tab behavior):

Window A [code]
     Window X [WTH?!]
     Window ♣ [huge vein on forehead appears]
     Window Beta [violence likely]
     Window Waldo [divided by zero]

Even when you get rid of the crappy GUI garbage they dumped on users in Windows 10 the behavior of Alt+Tabbing once (pressing Tab [i]once[/i] and letting go of the Alt key) is now absolute and utter chaos. I'm a GUI designer (UI/UX etc) and the goal is to always achieve maximum results with minimum input.

No:

[list][*]I'm not going to use ALT+Esc
    [*]I'm not going to use Windows+Tab
    [*]I'm not going to add twenty seconds staring at window explosions in place of 20ms action.
    [*]I'm not going to post on Microsoft Answers because the last thing you ever get there is a frigin answer.
    [*]My work won't allow me to dump Windows 10 like the released-two-years-too-early-mess it is and just go back to Windows 7.
    [/list]

Please, fellow beings of competence, hear my plea! I've probably had [i]hours[/i] of my time wasted by [i]just[/i] this Windows 10 "feature" alone.

jabcreations, Dec 3, 2019
  3. alt + tab not working

Just found a really cool way to make alt+tab INSTANT!!!

In the launch options write the following: -windowed -noborder

Classic alt+tab Capture122.jpg

This play exactly the same as fullscreen but now you dont have to wait 30 f*@!ing seconds to alt+tab back in!

Also you don't get the little purple/black checkered effect (only in Source games) from alt+tabbing in fullscreen.

oli_ramsay, Dec 3, 2019
  4. Classic alt+tab

alt + tab not working

*Confused Classic alt+tab :confused: I can alt tab back even if i don't have another program to switch too.

spearman914, Dec 3, 2019
Thema:

Classic alt+tab

1. Classic alt+tab - Similar Threads - Classic alt+tab

2. outlook search not working for ~ 5 days. Tried rebuilding. Windows 11, classic outlook

in Windows 10 Gaming
    outlook search not working for ~ 5 days. Tried rebuilding. Windows 11, classic outlook: outlook search not working for ~ 5 days. Tried rebuilding. Windows 11, classic outlook https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/outlook-search-not-working-for-5-days-tried/889778be-b293-41e4-b214-2e924f328137
  3. How to restore the Classic Alt+Tab Dialog in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to restore the Classic Alt+Tab Dialog in Windows 11: [ATTACH]In this tutorial, we will show you how to restore the Classic Alt+Tab dialog in Windows 11/10. You will be able to use the XP Style Alt+Tab Switcher that was introduced in Windows 95 and continued in Windows XP. This old Alt+Tab menu shows only app icons and has a...
  4. UWP classic icon missing when alt+tab

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UWP classic icon missing when alt+tab: Dear all,I have encountered an issue where I switched from thumbnail switcher to classic icon switch.But i found out that all the classic icon is missing....
  5. UWP classic icon missing when alt+tab

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UWP classic icon missing when alt+tab: Dear all,I have encountered an issue where I switched from thumbnail switcher to classic icon switch.But i found out that all the classic icon is missing....
  6. How do you enable clicking on alt+tab icons when switched to the 'Classic' style?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do you enable clicking on alt+tab icons when switched to the 'Classic' style?: Hate the Windows 10 default alt+tab look/menu so I switched it back to the old style and was wondering how do you enable being able to click the icons to bring them back up like on Windows 7 submitted by /u/MrChangg [link] [comments]...
  7. Is there a classic icon for Microsoft Edge when using Alt-Tab without thumbnail?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a classic icon for Microsoft Edge when using Alt-Tab without thumbnail?: Dear all, On Windows 10/1803 when I press Alt-Tab to switch between windows the Edge process shows a default application icon: [ATTACH] This is very confusing. Is there a way to specify the icon with the blue e ? WR, Kees...
  8. Is there a classic icon for Microsoft Edge when using Alt-Tab without thumbnail?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a classic icon for Microsoft Edge when using Alt-Tab without thumbnail?: I've disable the thumbnail preview in Alt-Tab to use classic icons. Somehow Microsoft Edge does not display its icon and uses a generic application icon instead. Is there a way around that? [ATTACH]...
  9. Restore Classic ALT+TAB A-B B-A switching with mouse, not random

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore Classic ALT+TAB A-B B-A switching with mouse, not random: The very three critical combinations to understand before even participating in this thread: Windows 10 with classic ALT+Tab registry key restoration (all over the web, look it up). Use any program that customizes the key bindings to the fourth and fifth mouse buttons...
  10. Set ALT+TAB to Use Classic Icons or Thumbnails in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set ALT+TAB to Use Classic Icons or Thumbnails in Windows: How to: Set ALT+TAB to Use Classic Icons or Thumbnails in Windows How to Set ALT+TAB to Use Classic Icons or Thumbnails by Default in Windows You can press the Alt+Tab or Ctrl+Alt+Tab keys to switch between open windows in Windows. Pressing Alt+Tab will show open...