Windows 10: Clean install 15014 in hyper-v

Discus and support Clean install 15014 in hyper-v in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have created an iso using the uup to iso tutorial and it works fine to upgrade existing VMs, setting iso as a dvd. I am trying to clean install it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by cereberus, Jan 20, 2017.

1. cereberus Win User

Clean install 15014 in hyper-v

I have created an iso using the uup to iso tutorial and it works fine to upgrade existing VMs, setting iso as a dvd.

I am trying to clean install it in hyper-v overwriting an existing vm (do not want to change existing vm id) and have set it as a dvd, and changed boot order to dvd first, but it just ignores it and boots to existing windows.

:)

cereberus, Jan 20, 2017

2. 0xC1900101 - 0x40017 The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error BOOT operation

By any chance, do you have Hyper-V installed along with an EVGA FTW3 mobo? I did a partial clean install (remove applications) and it uninstalled Hyper-V and was successful. I turned Hyper-V back on and it blue screened for me over and over and over
    again until I safe-mode turned it off again.

StephenHey, Jan 20, 2017
  3. Unable to remove Hyper-V

I am using the same account that i installed it in the first place with yes. i have cleaned my registry and defragmented it multiple times. How can i get a clean installation of Hyper-V?

rexthecapt, Jan 20, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

Is this a Generation 2 VM?

5. cereberus Win User
    Yes but I sorted it another way by clean installing it it a vhd on physical pc, making image using Macrium, oobe/generalising in viboot and restoring image to hyper-v. Ok long winded but it got the job done.

However if there is a quicker way .......

Edit: just realised why - secure boot was on! Just turned it off and now it boots from dvd image!

Cheers for the clue!

cereberus, Jan 20, 2017
  6. Kari Win User
    This is, although easy to logically explain and a known issue, an annoying one. Especially with Generation 2 virtual machines, when you start them the 5 second grace period to press a key to boot from DVD starts immediately, yet Hyper-V might take more than that 5 seconds to connect therefore when connection is done it's already too late.

The workaround is simple: when you are finally connected to VM, reset it:

Clean install 15014 in hyper-v [​IMG]

Now you will have enough time to see and react when Press any key to boot from CD or DVD is shown:

7. cereberus Win User
    Thanks - that is good to know.

M.

cereberus, Jan 20, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

This works great with secure boot disabled.

Do not get that far with secure boot enabled and it falls over (using iso for 15014)

The strange thing is when I boot using a Macrium Rescue iso, it works with secure boot enabled or not.

Of course, it is no big deal turning off secure boot in a vm.

cheers

M.

cereberus, Jan 21, 2017
  9. Kari Win User
    You only need to disable Secure Boot for duration of installation. When Windows 10 has been installed, you can again enable Secure Boot without issues.

WinPE boot media (like Macrium Rescue or any other PE) skips Secure Boot; that's why you can boot with Macrium rescue PE media and restore an image even with Secure Boot enabled. You can test this easily: When you have Windows 10 installed on a Generation 2 VM with Secure Boot enabled, set DVD first in boot order, and a normal Windows install media ISO as virtual DVD, you are not shown Press any key to boot from CD or DVD when you start or restart the VM.

However, if you change the virtual DVD to Macrium Rescue ISO and start or restart the same VM, still Secure Boot enabled, Press any key to boot from CD or DVD will be shown and you can boot normally from WinPE ISO / DVD and restore an image.

10. cereberus Win User
    Yeah - that is exactly what happens. I just find it strange a bootable windows iso cannot ignore secure boot whereas a Macrium iso can. Surely the windows iso is also winpe?

Not an issue - more just curious.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean install 15014 in hyper-v - Similar Threads - Clean install 15014

2. Hyper-V installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hyper-V installation: I have Windows 10 PRO and just turned on Hyper-V to set up a virtual machine. Everything went well until I tried to install the operating system. I bought a version of windows 10 home for this purpose but its on a USB drive and the installation setup doesn't accept this...
  3. Hyper-V Installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hyper-V Installation: Hello all, Thanks to everyone who replied to my las question in regard to installing Microsoft's "Virtual PC" program on my Windows 10 Pro machine. I asked if there was a Microsoft program, such as "Virtual PC," which I had installed on my Windows 7 Professional machine -...
  4. Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V: Hi, As anyone tried Hyper-V yet, as isn't it suppose to be an emulator so we can play old games like Silver etc... 6618
  5. Hyper-V/Ubuntu 10.04 Installation/Error

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V/Ubuntu 10.04 Installation/Error: I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15, 9550, 6700HQ, W10P, 16Gig, non-touch, refurb computer. I re-partitioned the SSD drive, creating among other things drive 'R' of about 97 Gig. R was not reformatted - it is NTFS. Using another computer, I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04.LTS ISO...
  6. Unable to Install Hyper-V Platform Role

Unable to Install Hyper-V Platform Role: Hi, I am trying to install the Hyper-V role through the Control Panel - Programs and Features - Turn a Windows Feature On or Off. When I check the box for Hyper-V, it searches for the files, acquires them, and applies the changes. It then says "Windows completed...
  7. Hyper-V installation causes boot failure

Hyper-V installation causes boot failure: Hello all. James here. I'm trying to setup Hyper-V, using Kari's tutorial. After I select the modules, Windows installs them and asks for a reboot. I oblige and then the system loops. I have tried three times and have had to restore all three times. I have enabled Intel...
  8. Error when installing Hyper-V

Error when installing Hyper-V: I thought I would try out Hyper-V for the first time ever. However I'm getting an error message when installing it. [img] 17535
  9. Cannot Install Ubuntu 17.04 in Hyper-v

Cannot Install Ubuntu 17.04 in Hyper-v: I am trying to install Ubuntu 1704 through Hyper V. It seems to go easily until I select the command to go ahead and install Ubuntu. Then things go wrong. I get the following error messages as shown in the attachment. It says that file...
  10. Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v

Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v: Apologies for the very basic question, but this is my first attempt at creating a virtual machine within Windows 10 pro using hyper-v. I have created a VM, and during the process allocated a drive/folder for that VM, and selected the Linux iso file that should be installed....
Tags: