Windows 10: Clean install advice please

Discus and support Clean install advice please in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I upgraded my laptops a few weeks ago and, today, I've upgraded my Desktop PC. Before I start adding the programs I need, I'm wondering about doing a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by janey6, Sep 28, 2015.

1. janey6 Win User

Clean install advice please

I upgraded my laptops a few weeks ago and, today, I've upgraded my Desktop PC.
    Before I start adding the programs I need, I'm wondering about doing a clean install rather than waiting for weeks and starting all over again.
    My main concern is that when I installed Windows 7 Home, I partitioned my C: drive to give me a D: drive for my files and an E: drive for long term storage (mainly photos and home movies).

I know that there is some choice about partitions with a clean install but I only have the one actual hard drive and don't want to lose D: and E: - even though most of the contents are uploaded to OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.

Advice would be much appreciated please before I go ahead with a clean install.

:)

janey6, Sep 28, 2015

2. urgent advice please help advice

Yeah Nothing can compare to N900!!!

So dont accept x6 or what ever..

Anyway good luck mate! =)

virajxx3006, Sep 28, 2015
  3. urgent advice please help advice

no,,,. they given uk 0845.... number to contact. so far i gues they are willing to give cheaper modle, all nokia below £250 in stock .well contact them again on monday, and update here

thanks

akrama---01, Sep 28, 2015
  4. Kanata Win User

Are you able to back up the contents of D: and E: somewhere, then install a fresh OS and create those partitions later and copy the data back to them?

Kanata, Sep 28, 2015
  5. janey6 Win User
    I had backups on Acronis but I had to uninstall this before I upgraded. I really don't want to buy another later version of Acronis so I don't suppose I can restore from the backups I have on my external drive.

janey6, Sep 28, 2015
  6. bobkn Win User
    Oops. It's a bit late for this advice, but you should have created an Acronis tool disk (or USB device) while you had it installed.

I admit that isn't always easy. I have had trouble with it not working on newer hardware. It appears to be Linux based, and there may be a lag getting a version that will work on the latest motherboards. The alternative is to make a Windows PE based version, but that's a more involved process.

If it comes down to it, you can always buy a more recent version of Acronis True Image. That would allow you to mount the old images and conveniently copy off data. Avoiding the aggravation of not being able to do that may be worth it.

bobkn, Sep 28, 2015
  7. janey6 Win User
    I have a 64gb thumb drive. I think I can get my D & E stuff on so it may be OK until I've done the clean install.
    Thanks for your advice.

janey6, Sep 28, 2015
  8. hattrik21 Win User

The install process should give you the option to just reformat the c drive, leaving the D and E drives as is even though it is one physical drive.

hattrik21, Sep 28, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    When you do the clean install, you will boot from the Windows 10 install media (DVD or USB). Select the custom install method. You will get a list of partitions on the hard drive - but only a list of partitions and not drive letters. You will very carefully select each individual partition that is NOT your D or E drive and delete them. You should be left with 1 big unallocated space, the D: drive partition and the E: drive partition. Be very careful - the delete can be undone, but it is tricky and risky.

Then you select the big unallocated space for Windows to install to and let it do it's thing.

It's a very good idea to have the D: drive and E: drive partitions backed up, but there is no need to delete those partitions, format them, or restore them if everything goes properly outlined above.

The above assumes that the D: and E: drive partitions are both located at one end of the hard drive...if they are somewhere in the middle, then it gets a bit more complicated and you'll have to use MiniTool Partition Wizard Free to move things around.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean install advice please - Similar Threads - Clean install advice

2. installation advice

in Windows 10 Gaming
    installation advice: when I install a program I have downloaded offline lets say like 7zip what is the best place to place it in the file directory is it program files the c drive or programfilesx86 and in the case of programs that don't have a installer just a .exe or .msi or .bat file ,that...
  3. installation advice

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    installation advice: when I install a program I have downloaded offline lets say like 7zip what is the best place to place it in the file directory is it program files the c drive or programfilesx86 and in the case of programs that don't have a installer just a .exe or .msi or .bat file ,that...
  4. Partition advice please

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partition advice please: Hi Sometime next week I'm getting a new computer it has a 1TB HDD + 480GB SSD I assume the SSD will be the one with Windows installed So my question is how big does a windows partition need to be to future proof for updates and such 170805
  5. New SSD win10 install, advice please?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New SSD win10 install, advice please?: OK, so Windows updates are just slowing my machine down and I'm thinking of getting an SSD and swapping it over. Problem is my laptop only has one drive slot so I can't clone it the way I've been told and I have not been able to find my product key as It wasn't stuck to the...
  6. installation advice

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    installation advice: hello i would like to know the whole process and how best can i manuever when i select the option of upgrade this pc...i would like to know whether its advisable to do that because i have no usb drive. Which options do i have to select in order to keep my data safe while...
  7. Advice Please on Clean Install of W10

Advice Please on Clean Install of W10: Hello All, my first forum post. The time is fast approaching when I will upgrade from W7 to W10. My W7 Pro is a legitimate copy. I want to do a clean instal rather than the 'upgrade. Currently I have 3 SSDs - SSD1 is W7 OS only, the remaining 2 SSDs contain various personal...
  8. Advice please, Infected warning in Edge varied web pages, scans clean

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Advice please, Infected warning in Edge varied web pages, scans clean: Hi,sorry for such a vague title, but it's such a vague thing that's going on, I use 4 web browsers trying to see what happens, but it only happens in Edge, my entire system is fully updated in every sense, including the latest released programs etc, so here goes. I'm no...
  9. Advice on clean install W10 on a GX520

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Advice on clean install W10 on a GX520: Have done a few Windows 10upgrades and clean installs, but not sure about this one...has P4 CPU, can't find out if will support Windows 10 or not. Dell tag 5W9DY1J thanks 51499
  10. Advice for a Windows 10 clean install

Advice for a Windows 10 clean install: Hello Everyone, I would like to do a clean install on my HP dv6 laptop with a primary 128 GB Crucial M4 SSD with a secondary 1 TB Toshiba HDD 5400rpm (installed in the DVD bay) and was hoping to get some advice on best way to perform a clean install of Windows 10 while...