Windows 10: clean install after deleting partitions

Discus and support clean install after deleting partitions in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have deleted the partitions, and have the unallocated space partition, clicked on next, but it won't progress. There's an hourglass that just sits... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MarieLippincott, Jun 22, 2020.

1. clean install after deleting partitions

I have deleted the partitions, and have the unallocated space partition, clicked on next, but it won't progress. There's an hourglass that just sits there. Nothing happening.

:)

MarieLippincott, Jun 22, 2020
  2. Mala_S Win User

Clean Install Windows 10 partition issue

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps performed to resolve the issue. However, let’s try with the further troubleshooting steps and see if it works. Initially, I would suggest you to create a bootable media with a USB/Flash drive of capacity 8GB.
    For better understanding, you may watch the video with the procedure from the article on
    How to Clean Install Windows 10 on a PC Step-by-Step
    Guide

Set the boot priority to USB once after creating a bootable media using a USB and proceed with the Windows Installation. On the drive selection window, press Shift + F10 keys to open the Command Prompt. Then follow the steps listed
    below:

• Type the following command in the Command Prompt window and press Enter:
      diskpart
    • Once after executing the above command, type the following command to list the current drives and press Enter:
      list disk
    • List disk will give you the list of drives, use the following command to select the drive and press Enter: select disk 0
    • Type the following command to check if the disk is online: online disk
      (if the disk is not online)
    • Type the following command to clean the drive and press Enter:
      clean
    • To create a partition, type the following command and press Enter:
      create partition primary
    • To select the partition that you created, type the following command and press Enter:
      select partition 1
    • To set the partition active, type the following command and press Enter:
      active (if this is the boot partition)
    • Type the following command to assign a drive letter and press Enter:
      assign letter(letter)
    • After completing all this, close the command prompt screen and click on
      refresh button.
    • Then you will only have one drive with “unallocated space”, just select the partition to start the installation.

Let us know how it goes and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Jun 26, 2020
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jun 26, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

clean install after deleting partitions

Error: We couldn't delete the selected partition. [Error: 0x800701b1] when trying to delete partition during Windows 10 installation

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We will need the following information from you to help you further:

• How are you trying to install Windows?
    • Which partition are you trying to delete?

In the meantime, you can refer the steps mentioned below and see if that helps:

Method 1: Formatting the partition

If you are trying to delete one particular partition, you can format the partition and see if that helps. To format the partition, on the installation screen select the partition that you want to format and click on
    Format.

Method 2: Using Diskpart command

If you are performing a clean installation on the computer and want to delete all the partitions from the computer, you may try using the Diskpart commands. Follow the steps mentioned below:

1. On the installation screen press Shift key + F10 to open Command Prompt.
    2. Type Diskpart and hit Enter.
    3. Type list disk.
    4. Type select disk 0.
    5. Type clean.
    6. Now, close command prompt window and continue installation.
    Note: Running clean command will erase all the information from the hard drive.

For more information on performing a clean installation, please refer the article

How to Clean Install Windows 10 on a PC Step-by-Step Guide
    created by PaulSey...

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 26, 2020
Thema:

clean install after deleting partitions

1. clean install after deleting partitions - Similar Threads - clean install deleting

2. Windows 11 clean install,which partitions to delete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 clean install,which partitions to delete: Hi I want to install windows on drive 1. Do I delete all drive 0 partitions and then install on drive 1 or do I delete all drive 0 and drive 1? Many thanks...
  3. to delete drive partitions for clean installation?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    to delete drive partitions for clean installation?: In a previous post, I mentioned I was in a bitlocker loop because my C drive was encrypted and i did not back up password correctlyI was told to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 by a user here. I had watched some videos on that process. It seems that I have to delete all...
  4. to delete drive partitions for clean installation?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    to delete drive partitions for clean installation?: In a previous post, I mentioned I was in a bitlocker loop because my C drive was encrypted and i did not back up password correctlyI was told to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 by a user here. I had watched some videos on that process. It seems that I have to delete all...
  5. to delete drive partitions for clean installation?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Clean Install - Partitions

Clean Install - Partitions: Hello Forum, I attempted to clean install Win 10 Pro v1909 from ISO on a DVD. I simply clicked on the ISO setup file, and let the system do its thing. Typically, I end up doing these clean installs several times for various reasons. This was my first attempt at a clean...
  7. Win 10 Clean install - delete partitions

Win 10 Clean install - delete partitions: Clean install from flash drive. I'm just following instructions... All okay up until "...delete each Drive/Partition..." EXCEPT the "Unallocated Space". I do not see the term Unallocated Space. I have 5 partitions 1-5. 1(ESP/System) says don't delete as it's an EFI...
  8. Deleting All Partitions and Clean install Windows 10

Deleting All Partitions and Clean install Windows 10: I have a top spec HP Envy DV6 i7 laptop which had Windows 7 on it then upgraded to windows 8 then Windows 10. I have noticed that recently the machine has become really sluggish and Cortana is not working not matter what I try. I have decided to clean install Windows 10...
  9. Can't delete partitions for clean install of Windows 10

Can't delete partitions for clean install of Windows 10: Hi, Sorry if this is a duplicate thread. I looked around but couldn't find a thread with the same problem or a solution. Anyways, I have been trying to do a clean install of Windows 10 on my Acer Switch 10 2-in-1 because my Windows 8.1 fails to boot and it doesn't let me...
  10. Clean install with WIMBoot & delete recovery partition

Clean install with WIMBoot & delete recovery partition: I bought a 2nd hand Lenovo Idea pad 100s netbook. It has 32gb eMMC storage. It has WIMBoot. It came with Win10 but has the old owners profile so I want to reinstall a clean copy of windows 10 from usb that I downloaded from Microsoft. 2 questions: 1. Can I delete the...