Windows 10: Clean install after upgrade and now not activated: troubleshooting

Discus and support Clean install after upgrade and now not activated: troubleshooting in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Some months ago I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 pro. I recently did a clean install, spent hrs setting up the system the way I wanted and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by SFrav, Aug 31, 2017.

1. SFrav Win User

Clean install after upgrade and now not activated: troubleshooting

Some months ago I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 pro. I recently did a clean install, spent hrs setting up the system the way I wanted and then received a prompt about activation. After this I did another clean install of Windows 10 Pro N with the same result.

No hardware was changed in this process.

My questions are:
    - Is there a way to query the Microsoft database to confirm my license?
    - What do the licenses specify. Is it just home/pro/enterprise and with/without media bells and whistles (N)?
    - Does it matter if you select personal vs business in the set-up process (after install)?
    - Can it take some time for the activation to register? e.g. If I left my system running for a week, would the system eventually recognize the computer in the database?
    - Should I try the home edition? It was definitely a pro license, but at least I would be trying something ... out of other ideas.

:)

SFrav, Aug 31, 2017

2. Not activated after clean install

I'm happy for you. I'm still waiting from a week..yes i'm sure that windows 10 was activated after performed the upgrade of windows 8.1.

Arcangelo Maria Gruosso, Aug 31, 2017
  3. Not activated after clean install

I downloaded Windows 10 yesterday. This is the steps that I took:

1. Downloaded Windows Media Creation Tool

2. Made a bootable CD with the Windows 8 .iso.

3. Upgraded Windows from the Media Creation Tool.

4. After Windows 10 was installed, I did a clean install of Windows 10 on top of the upgraded Windows 10.

I don't know what I did wrong or what, because I'm pretty sure that I followed everything that Microsoft told me. However, it says here that my Windows 10 isn't activated. I've been waiting for a day to see if the Windows servers activate it. But I don't
    know... It doesn't seem like it.

Is there anything I can do? Because I'm considering reinstalling Windows 7 and then upgrading again.

caramba2654, Aug 31, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Hi there, SFrav. Welcome to Windows TenForums.

At times activation does take a few days or so, but certainly not a week. You must've had digital license.

Do not install Home for I don't think it will activate.

Pro N has no windows media apps.

If you have your Windows 7 keys enter them via Settings app > Update & Security > Change product key. It should then activate.

If that doesn't work you'll have to call Microsoft.

Tony K, Aug 31, 2017
  5. Tony K Win User
  6. SFrav Win User
    So if the watermark comes up saying that it's not activated, then it might resolve itself in a few days?

My error number was 0x803f7001 "This error means we didn’t find a valid Windows license for your PC."

Thanks for the quick reply!

SFrav, Aug 31, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    zbook, Aug 31, 2017
  8. SFrav Win User

Ok. I see some people's clean installs were activated after a few days. I'll wait it out and see.

Thanks!

SFrav, Aug 31, 2017
  9. Pro "N" will not activate with a Pro Digital License. If your original upgrade was to 10 Pro (the regular non N version) your current Pro N install is not going to activate no matter how long you wait. The Editions have to match exactly for the auto activation with a DL to work. Home is one licence, Home Single Language is another. Then Pro, Pro N, Pro KN etc. These each require specific product codes to activate and each have a different Digital License. If the original install was 10 Pro, that's what you need to install. Installing any other edition will fail to activate. The only exception is Windows 10 S. It for some reason will activate with a 10 Pro DL. It did for me anyway. I'd stay with 10 Pro though, 10 S is heavily restricted and locked down.

alphanumeric, Aug 31, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    To second what @alphanumeric posted, if you have Windows 10 Pro N installed now, 99% chance it is the wrong version and will not activate. If the computer came from the factory with Windows 7 installed, does it have a Windows 7 COA (Certificate of Authenticity) sticker attached anywhere? If it is still readable, it will have a product key printed on it and tell what version it is for. As of right now you can still use the Windows 7 product key printed on such stickers to activate the matching version of Windows 10, but we don't know how long that will last.

But, if the sticker says Windows 7 Pro - the product key will only activate Windows 10 Pro - not Windows 10 Pro N.

NavyLCDR, Aug 31, 2017
  11. SFrav Win User
    @alphanumeric I agree that Windows S is too restrictive for many purposes.
    @NavyLCDR I am sure it was windows 7 pro and then upgraded to windows 10 pro. I have a screenshot of the 'about' page (win version, product id ect.) from before I upgraded.
    Unfortunately I don't have the product key attached, and I formatted the recovery partition.

Can I do anything with my previous product ID? If I speak to Microsoft and give them the product id along with some details that would identify my hardware in their database, would that help?

Still not activated by just sitting and waiting.

SFrav, Sep 2, 2017
  12. zbook New Member
    zbook, Sep 2, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Again, though, the last version that you posted that you had installed was Windows 10 Pro N. Is that still the version that you have installed?

NavyLCDR, Sep 2, 2017
  14. SFrav Win User
    I spoke to Microsoft tech support. They used ShowKeyPlus to check whether the key was available.

Apparently the product ID is of no use.

The final recommendation was to install windows 7 and then upgrade again.

SFrav, Sep 2, 2017
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    And what are you going to use for a Windows 7 Product Key to activate it with?

NavyLCDR, Sep 2, 2017
Thema:

1. Clean install after upgrade and now not activated: troubleshooting - Similar Threads - Clean install upgrade

2. Activating after clean install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating after clean install: Hello, i have an oem license key and i want to know if i wnsted to clean install woyld i need to re enter the key or would it automatically activate? ***moved on english forum***...
  3. Clean install not activated despite upgrading first.

Clean install not activated despite upgrading first.: Hi guys, I've just done a clean install of Windows 10 but in settings it's showing as Windows 10 Home and not activated. I upgraded from W7 Ultimate to W10 Pro without a problem so not sure why it's not activating. I did format the main drive during clean install,...
  4. Can't activate clean install after upgrading from Win7

Can't activate clean install after upgrading from Win7: Hello, I'm trying to activate my Windows 10 with the key I got from the upgrade I did with Windows 7. I used a virtual machine for the upgrade and it did activated but after a clean install it just saying I can't activate it. The actions I did: 1. Install win7 on...
  5. Clean install after upgrade Windows NOT activating

Clean install after upgrade Windows NOT activating: Did a clean install after a Windows 10 Pro upgrade, from a disk created from an ISO from media creator...all went ok, but says Windows not activated....just telling me to go to the store and buy a licence or enter a new key.... It was activated before I did the clean...
  6. No activation after clean install

No activation after clean install: I upgraded Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. All went well and it showed as activated. Today I did a clean install and all went well. However, after clean install it shows it is not activated and they want money for a key. What is going on? 13573
  7. Did A Clean Install Before Upgrading Now Win 10 Won't Activate

Did A Clean Install Before Upgrading Now Win 10 Won't Activate: Ever since upgrading I've been running into issues such as not being able to install updates and not being able to customize my desktop. After doing some research, it seems that this is because my copy of Win 10 is not activated. As the title states, not knowing better, I...
  8. Activation after clean install.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation after clean install.: I have an older laptop which was given to me. It started out life as XP ! - but it now has windows 10 and was running quite happily until the creators update trickled down. I have tried everything to upgrade but it always fails. I am thinking a totally fresh install would...
  9. Clean Install after upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Install after upgrade: I got a legit copy of windows 7 and i did the update to windows 10, but my PC seems slow and it seems like there is a lot of junk and left over files... idk, i want to do a clean install, but i dont want to loose my genuine copy of windows. also, i have about 1tb of games...
  10. Windows 10 will not activate after upgrade / clean install?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 will not activate after upgrade / clean install?: Hey Guys I upgraded from 8.1 (genuine Sony Vaio ) using the media creation upgrade option, it installed and activated to windows 10 pro. I then used the same media creation tool to download the iso and used Rufus to put it onto a usb so that I could do a clean install....