Windows 10: Clean install, Black screen after driver graphics cards (Internal+PEG)

Discus and support Clean install, Black screen after driver graphics cards (Internal+PEG) in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I decided to reinstall Win 10 Pro a few days ago to start up fresh again for the new year, it works fine on stock windows drivers but the moment I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by HCGamer, Dec 25, 2017.

1. HCGamer Win User

Clean install, Black screen after driver graphics cards (Internal+PEG)

I decided to reinstall Win 10 Pro a few days ago to start up fresh again for the new year, it works fine on stock windows drivers but the moment I either manually install Nvidia or Intel Graphics Drivers.
    After 6 reformats and reinstalls, discussing it with multiple people I ended up here because it's my Gaming Desktop but its just collecting dust now and I have no idea what to do anymore *Sad
    Only a system restore removing all drivers or a reinstall temporarily fixes it.

DIY Setup:
    - Win 10 Pro
    - Intel I7-7700
    - WD Black PCIe M.2 512GB SSD
    - Seagate 3TB HDD
    - MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon
    - Nvidia GTX 1060 FE
    - Kingston HyperX 32GB running at 2133Mhz (XMP turned off)

Things I've tried that did not work:

- Switching Graphics Card Slots for my GTX 1060 FE
    - Since my mobo allows me the choice to either use PEG or Internal Graphics (not both) I've tried installing the Nvidia Drivers, then switch to internal graphics, try and see if anything was wrong with it but drivers reported to be "working", look around to see if I see anything else that looked weird until windows auto installed Intel drivers for my internal graphics and ended with a black screen again. Switched back to PEG in my UEFI only to see a black screen again.
    - Tried to run it just on internal on-board graphics card resulting in the same problem after Windows installs a driver for it.
    - Let windows pick the drivers to install and manually download the correct drivers and install them, both leading to instant black screens while installing.
    - Flash UEFI with the latest firmware AMI v160 (only a few minor upgrades in the firmware) successfully
    - Flash UEFI back to previous firmware AMI v160 successfully.
    - Reset UEFI to factory defaults
    - Try connecting with an old monitor instead of my usual HDMI.
    - Check if windows recognizes my card correctly which it looks like it does because it downloads the right driver only a few versions older.
    - Reinstall windows multiple (6) times.

All resulting in black screens the moment
    Like I already said, I'm running out of ideas, mostly because it both goes to a black screen after installing drivers for the GTX 1060 FE and for the Internal card.
    Everything worked perfectly before I formatted from the same Win 10 Pro I had installed previously, the first time I installed it several months ago it finished without a problem, this time I'm not that lucky even-though I haven't changed anything in my setup.
    I really hope someone can help me out of this mess.*Sad

:)

HCGamer, Dec 25, 2017

2. Black screen error after Windows 10 update

I've seen a lot of posts about screen getting black after reboot with only the cursor. however, mine is a different scenario. After upgrading my laptop from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 through the upgrade program, it booted and it started well. However, my
    graphics card showed error. So, I installed my internal HD 4600 graphics. After that I tried to install the GT 740M graphics driver and suddenly in the middle of that installation, the screen got black with only the mouse. YouTube was playing and I could hear
    the sound of the song but I couldn't see anything. I could click and somehow I managed to close the browser and then hard restart the laptop. After restarting, the Lenovo logo showed up nicely but after that, nothing showed up except for a black screen with
    the mouse pointer and a blue round along with (showing for busy cpu). It was stuck like this for half and hour and no matter how many times I had restarted my device, the same thing happened. I managed to get into the safe mode and it booted well and it was
    normal inside the safe mode. But when did a normal boot, the same black screen problem happened again.

Configuration

=========

Processor: Lenovo i7 4th gen

RAM: 8GB

HDD: 1TB

Graphics card: Internal: Intel HD 4600

External: Geforce 740M

Any help on how to resolve the issue? I'm rolling back to Windows 8.1 now.

Nirmalya Ghosh, Dec 25, 2017
  3. Multiple monitors black screen with cursor

I checked various posts about black screen with cursor but I find no solution.

I have 3 monitors. 2 are connected through nVidia Quadro FX 1500 graphic card and the third monitor is connected through onboard Intel HD Graphic. When I fresh install windows 10 all 3 monitors work fine but the resolution on two monitors connected into nVidia
    graphic card was bad, so I installed windows 8 drivers for nVidia graphic card (because I couldn't find drivers for win 10) and everything was working fine. Then after a computer restart I get the black screen with only cursor.

If I unplug the third monitor which is connected through the onboard graphic card the other two monitor start working fine. If I plug the third monitor I get the black screen again.

What is the problem that cause this? Are the drivers for nVidia graphic the problem or is the problem with the Intel HD drivers or ...?

Flagellum Dei, Dec 25, 2017
  4. Bastet Win User

Once the pc is working (without the drivers) have you tried downloading the nVidia drivers from the nVidia website & doing a clean install of said drivers? This fixed the problem for me after allowing nVidia to update them from GeForce experience & doing a quick install.
    If that works then move on to the Intel drivers & do the same.

Bastet, Dec 25, 2017
  5. HCGamer Win User
    I tried doing a custom clean install already before Windows was able to get one from the microsoft servers and at about 15% into the installation of the driver phase (Installing Graphics Driver) the screen flickers as usual but then drops all of the signal to both HDMI and other connectors.
    Same thing happens with the Intel graphics card, I grabbed those files with the MSI Live Update program. Those still require a reboot and after that the signal drops.
    (I have had annoying situations like this before where Guru3D's DDU could properly remove old drivers and fix a black screen but it was never as bad as this)

The strange thing is that it does adopt all adjustments post installation, when I look at my UEFI screen it's clearly running on different drivers (size is correct, everything is 1080p, and everything looks much smoother), the moment I see the windows wheel turn however, about 1 1/2 times on my SSD, the screen goes black again.

HCGamer, Dec 25, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    Please update the system specs in the "My Computer" section:

How To Fill Out Your System Specs
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums:
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums Site Use Tutorials
    In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'.
    After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.
    System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Help Forums

Include PSU. cooler, case, peripherals and anything attached to the computer by wired or wireless (mouse, keyboard, headset, printer, xbox, etc.)

zbook, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean install, Black screen after driver graphics cards (Internal+PEG) - Similar Threads - Clean install Black

2. Black screen after installing Graphics driver [Fixed]

in Windows 10 News
    Black screen after installing Graphics driver [Fixed]: [IMG]If after you update or install graphics drivers on your Windows 11 or Windows 10 computer, and afterward you started experiencing black screen issues including your computer crashing or being stuck in the Black Screen of Death screen, then you’re at the right place for...
  3. Black screen after failed graphics driver installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen after failed graphics driver installation: Black screen with no cursor or video totally unable to type anything or see if windows has even booted, happened just after my graphics drivers failed for some reason and i tried to remove and reinstall but now no longer shows ASUS logo on boot and won't let me enter safe...
  4. Black screen after failed graphics driver installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen after failed graphics driver installation: Black screen with no cursor or video totally unable to type anything or see if windows has even booted, happened just after my graphics drivers failed for some reason and i tried to remove and reinstall but now no longer shows ASUS logo on boot and won't let me enter safe...
  5. Black screen after failed graphics driver installation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Screen turns black after updating graphics card driver

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Screen turns black after updating graphics card driver: Hello there. I have been experiencing the following issue: on January 15th my screen suddenly turned black. I tried the combination windows+ctrl+shift+b - no response. I deinstalled some drivers - nothing. Since my computer is only for gaming, I decided to reinstall Windows...
  7. Graphics Card No Output After Installing Drivers

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Graphics Card No Output After Installing Drivers: I recently purchased an ASUS Strix Radeon RX 470 and when I put it into my machine it was fine but everytime I try to install the latest drivers I would get no output from the graphics card and when I reboot I also get no display output so I have to run Windows in safe mode...
  8. Graphic Card- Black Screen.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Graphic Card- Black Screen.: Hello recently I bought Graphic card GT 710 DDR5 2GB that support max resolution 2160P I worked with that for a while until windows 10 1809 released then I download that and install it on my PC then going to install driver of Graphic card then screen goes black I tried...
  9. Black screen after clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen after clean install: Hi, i recently install Windows 10, search updates and install it, so Windows update install the drivers for my gtx 1060, later i restart the pc and a black screen show with only the mouse pointer... I went crazy and now i format all again... I try to install the nvidia...
  10. Black screen no cursor (Graphics card driver problems?)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen no cursor (Graphics card driver problems?): Hey ya'll! I just updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Here's my specs: Alienware M15x - R1 Notebook Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT Intel Core2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz (if you need more specs let me know) So, I had problems going from Vista to windows 7 because of...