Windows 10: Clean install but upgrade from hdd to ssd.

Discus and support Clean install but upgrade from hdd to ssd. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; current setup: hdd running 1903 primary boot target: 1909 upgrade/clean install on ssd then primary boot 1903 still bootable on hdd... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by irrelevantname, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Clean install but upgrade from hdd to ssd.

current setup: hdd running 1903 primary boot

target:

1909 upgrade/clean install on ssd then primary boot

1903 still bootable on hdd secondary/backup boot in case of failures of any kind.

how would i manage that without an optical which is being replaced by a tray caddy or usb flash drive? can i partition the ssd to contain the setup data - in a recovery partition or somehow bootable - and install the os on itself and set up the boot record to use it after it's on? if not, could i use any type of installer that installs the os on the ssd from a setup run from hdd, and which creates the boot record on the ssd to boot from it - after boot order change in the bios. means that the boot order regulates which os version is booted, with both being bootable and functional without intereference.

tia

:)

irrelevantname, Jan 8, 2020

2. Clean Install From Upgrade to Second SSD Intead of HDD

I recently purchased a HP Envy 17t laptop with an 1tb HDD that has windows 8.1 installed. I would like to install the upgrade to windows 10 but I want to put it on a my old Mushkin 120gb SSD and use the HDD as a storage drive. Is there a way to do a clean
    install to my SSD instead of the HDD?

TrevorBrennan, Jan 8, 2020
  3. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Jan 8, 2020
  4. Clean install but upgrade from hdd to ssd.

Windows 10 upgrade and clean install in new SSD

I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for in similar threads.

I have a laptop with a Windows 8.1 installed in a HDD. I have not yet upgraded to Win10 but I have reserved already.

I want to do a clean install of Win10 on a new SSD I'm buying and I'm worried that if I upgrade to Win10 on my current drive then do a clean install on the SSD, because of the hardware change (HDD to SSD) the Win10 product key will become invalid.

What should I do?

- Upgrade to Win 10 on my current HDD then swap the SSD and do a clean install

- Clone my current hard drive do the SSD then do the upgrade

Note: The OS (Win7) installation came with the laptop

Note 2: I don't need to keep my files

JoelOliveiraPT, Jan 8, 2020
Thema:

Clean install but upgrade from hdd to ssd.

1. Clean install but upgrade from hdd to ssd. - Similar Threads - Clean install upgrade

2. Windows 11 clean install from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 clean install from HDD to SSD: I'm trying to completely wipe everything off my computer and reinstall Windows 11 from scratch. I built my computer around two years ago and installed the Windows 11 OS onto a 2TB HDD but now have a 2TB SSD and want to install it there and swap out the 2TB HDD for an 8TB HDD....
  3. Windows 11 clean install from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 clean install from HDD to SSD: I'm trying to completely wipe everything off my computer and reinstall Windows 11 from scratch. I built my computer around two years ago and installed the Windows 11 OS onto a 2TB HDD but now have a 2TB SSD and want to install it there and swap out the 2TB HDD for an 8TB HDD....
  4. Computer upgrade - replace HDD and clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Computer upgrade - replace HDD and clean install: I have a computer that needs a clean install, so I'm thinking that I would replace the HDD with SDD. My computer started life with Win 8.1 Home, and upgradred to Win 10 Home. To activate Windows, would I need a new licence key for Windows 10 or can I use the one for WIndows...
  5. Installed M2 SSD + clean install of Windows on said SSD in laptop alongside HDD. HDD was...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installed M2 SSD + clean install of Windows on said SSD in laptop alongside HDD. HDD was...: I assume it has something to do with a partition on the HDD. Disk Manager does not allow me to delete 2 relatively small partitions, including one labeled "Recovery" and one labeled "EFI System Partition." I assume W10 is detecting the recovery partition and is giving me the...
  6. How to move from HDD to SSD with clean install?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to move from HDD to SSD with clean install?: I have a SSD on way that I will be using to run Windows and some apps. I will do a clean install of Windows on SSD. Will I need to format the old HDD? I want to retain my files that are not stored in C drive. submitted by /u/iamharshkumar97 [link] [comments]...
  7. upgrade hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Customization
    upgrade hdd to ssd: Good Morning/Evening, I would like to upgrade the hdd of my laptop to ssd. I need all my files and os unchange. May you folks advise me the procedure? thanks beforehand for your help. regards mark...
  8. upgrade from HDD to SSd

upgrade from HDD to SSd: HI, I have a Lenovo desktop with an AMD E1 processor and a conventional 500gb hard drive. I'm thinking about upgrading this hard drive to an SSD in order to improve performance. How much more responsive would the computer be?? Is it worth it to make this switch?? Thanks...
  9. Upgrade to SSD from HDD

Upgrade to SSD from HDD: I have old Sony Vaio AIO desktop that I want to replace the HDD with 256GB SSD. Current OS is latest version of Windows 10. Computer has Legacy bios and uses Std Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller. I plan to do a clean install of windows 10 . I understand that I need to change...
  10. Upgrading to SSD from HDD thinking Clean install of Windows 10

Upgrading to SSD from HDD thinking Clean install of Windows 10: Hello Everyone, I just bought a new Solid State Drive that should be here Monday. I'm thinking about doing a clean install for my Windows 10 but I'm not sure how I can do this. I cannot find the email where I purchased Windows 10 and I'm not sure what email I used at that...