Windows 10: Clean install help needed; Windows 7 OEM to Windows 10

Discus and support Clean install help needed; Windows 7 OEM to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everybody; I downloaded the ISO for Windows 10 Home 32/64 bit and tried to do a clean install but it didn't accept my Windows 7 OEM key. Any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pcgear, Aug 30, 2015.

1. pcgear Win User

Clean install help needed; Windows 7 OEM to Windows 10

Hi everybody;

I downloaded the ISO for Windows 10 Home 32/64 bit and tried to do a clean install but it didn't accept my Windows 7 OEM key.

Any idea anyone? I really do not like upgrades, always do clean install.

Henk

:)

pcgear, Aug 30, 2015
  2. neilpzz Win User

I want to change my motherboard does it affects my harddisk or OS (Windows 10) ?

If Windows 7 was a OEM you will need to buy a Windows 10 key.

If Windows 7 was retail then you will need to clean install that again and upgrade again.

neilpzz, Aug 30, 2015
  3. how to change windows 10 pro to home edition

You only need to
    Clean Install Windows 10 Upgrade
    Home and activate afterward in Activation settings with the Windows 7 Product Key.

Any WIndows 7 key will work: retail full or Upgrade, Builder's or Factory OEM.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Aug 30, 2015
  4. Clean install help needed; Windows 7 OEM to Windows 10

The Win10 upgrade will not accept Win7/8/8.1 keys.

Then you will have to purchase a copy of Win10. The free version REQUIRES that you do an in-place upgrade BEFORE you do a clean-install. Plus, you need to make sure that the Upgrade is activated before you do the clean-install over it; otherwise, it will not activate after the clean-install.

Mark Phelps, Aug 30, 2015
  5. pcgear Win User
    Thank you so much. I have already done a clean Windows 7 install so that will be easy. A bit of a work-around to get the Windows 10 key but understandable and workable.

Thank you - Henk

pcgear, Aug 30, 2015
  6. GregH Win User
    Hi pcgear,

As Mark says, you need to first do the upgrade installation to register your new Windows 10 key with Microsoft. You cannot do a clean install directly as you will not get a Key this way. Once you have done the upgrade, and it has been activated (happens more or less immediately and without your intervention) should you want to do a clean install, you can only then do so using the USB ISO. You will not need a licence key when you follow this route and Microsoft will recognise your PC and auto-activate the license for you.

Note also - when doing the clean install after going this route, during set up you are asked for the licence key. Just "Skip" this step and Windows will auto activate once your installation completes.

GregH, Aug 30, 2015
  7. pcgear Win User
    I have the 32/64 bit ISO's for Home and Pro (10) burned to 2 double layer DVD's. I'll keep this thread open and let you know how I go.

May I praise this forum for helpful and decent people. I was a member of an Australian forum (the biggest here) called "Whirlpool" and found there was a few "nasties" in there. Thanks guys.

Henk

pcgear, Aug 30, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

The key that Windows 10 will use for activation is just a generic key used as a placeholder. Everyone who upgrades from a previous operating system via the free upgrade gets the same key for the respective version of Windows 10 - Pro or Home. As noted in above posts, you will not actually use this product key for anything. When you do a clean install of Windows 10 of the same version (Pro or Home) that was previously on that computer from the upgrade, you click the tiny text that allows you to skip or do this later and do not enter a product key.

The new Windows 10 will retrieve activation from Microsoft activation servers based upon hardware info that was stored on their servers during initial activation from the upgrade.

NavyLCDR, Aug 30, 2015
  9. pcgear Win User
    Thank you very much, all succeeded!

pcgear, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean install help needed; Windows 7 OEM to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Clean install help

2. clean install windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    clean install windows 7: my name is DavidMy computer crashed and Microsoft informed me it was fake now there are some MS pages that won't load, and I don't have MS store and I've tried it all and something keeps happening to keep me from fixing the rest of windows 7 pro it took me 3 days and a boot...
  3. OEM Pre-installed Windows or Clean install?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OEM Pre-installed Windows or Clean install?: I want to reinstall my device. Should I download Recovery from the Manufacturer's website OR simply from the Microsoft's site??? Which is best and why??? Performance or stability related Thnx...
  4. [HELP] Need to clean install windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [HELP] Need to clean install windows: Hi all, I got new laptop where windows 10 is activated. Now I want clean install windows 10. Without losing windows 10 activation how can I do this ? Also wanted to complete wipe c drive data and keep other drive data as it is? Please guide me submitted by /u/Santhire55...
  5. Need Help with Clean Windows 10 Installation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need Help with Clean Windows 10 Installation: My PC's OS (Windows 10, 64-bit) is not booting and it was recommended that I download the Windows 10 Disc Image ISO. Following the link on this subreddit, I was able to follow the instructions and download the ISO, but it can't seem to transfer it to a USB, even though the...
  6. Windows 10 OEM Clean Install

Windows 10 OEM Clean Install: I currently have windows 10 home. If I were to install an OEM version of windows 10 pro, would I have to do a clean install? I've read online that you have to do a clean install if you had windows 7 or 8.1, but do you have to if you already have windows 10? tldr; Already...
  7. Need help in clean installation of windows 10

Need help in clean installation of windows 10: My computer came with Windows 8.1 (64-bit) and then did upgrade to windows 10 Recently wanted to do the clean installation of windows 10 so downloaded the windows 10 from microsoft and created iso file of it. while clean installation process found this Name Total Size Free...
  8. no clean install from windows 7 to windows 10?Please HELP!

in Windows 10 Support
    no clean install from windows 7 to windows 10?Please HELP!: I really need help.. yesterday i gave in and decided to upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10.. due to many people telling me that all their files/apps remained intact. I decided to just go ahead and upgrade to windows 10 without backing up(also i don't have an external...
  9. Need help with a clean Windows 10 install

Need help with a clean Windows 10 install: After using a Microsoft account to login to Windows, then deciding to switch to a local profile, and giving myself Admin privileges, my Windows permissions are so messed up I've decided to start with a clean install. I tried reinstalling Windows hoping to fix some of these...
  10. Need Help With Clean Install Of Windows 10 Home

Need Help With Clean Install Of Windows 10 Home: Hello All, I am licensed to run Windows 10 Home Edition on my PC, but I tried to "upgrade" to Pro without a license. It installed but it would not activate. I need to go back to Home Edition, so I tried everything I could think of but it would not work, so I tried a clean...