Windows 10: Clean install in UEFI mode

Discus and support Clean install in UEFI mode in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I am about to receive the bits to upgrade my husbands PC from a simple desktop machine to what the PC Gamer site assures me is a high end gaming... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TraceyW, Jul 8, 2020.

1. TraceyW Win User

Clean install in UEFI mode

Hi

I am about to receive the bits to upgrade my husbands PC from a simple desktop machine to what the PC Gamer site assures me is a high end gaming machine. However, in the process I want to take the opportunity of also upgrading to a UEFI system from MBR but I'm a little confused on how to do it.

I've done a search of the internet and found what seems to be a confusing number of ways of doing this. I've got a bootable USB containing the source files which I understand is capable of installing to either UEFI or MBR. Now I think its just a case of simply installing to an unallocated but GPT initialised disk or is there something more involved like altering firmware settings? Somehow I converted a spare PC we have to UEFI without even trying and have no idea how it happened -- not that I'm complaining mind you, it just took me by surprise!

Anyway, any help anyone could give would be most appreciated. If any further info is needed then please let me know and I'll do my best to help.

Tracey

:)

TraceyW, Jul 8, 2020
  2. fdegrove Win User

Can Not Install W10 in UEFI Mode

Hi,

For as long as CSM is enabled Windows will install in legacy/bios mode. There is no such thing as a UEFI command really unless you're actually coding it.

Step 1: Enter bios and disable CSM

Step 2: Insert the install DVD

Step 3: save changes in bios and reset.

Step 4: toggle the key to invoke the bootmenu. (F8?) and select booting from dvd/bd whatever it is.

Windows setup should now launch. When arrived at the point to select a clean install select that and delete all partitions except you data partition(s) if any.
    Windows will then continue to create all system partition for you. If it complains the partitions may not be in the preferred order, ignore it and continue.

Let it finish et voila, you now should have a UEFI installed system.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jul 8, 2020
  3. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Jul 8, 2020
  4. Clean install in UEFI mode

Trouble installing windows 7 on RAID in UEFI

As the title says, I'm trying to install Windows on a RAID array in uefi on my Maximus V Formula. When using legacy ROM I can install just fine but I go into CSM and change settings to UEFI only, I can build the array in the UEFI Raid driver (IRST tab in "BIOS") but the array does not show up in the boot menu and when I try to install windows (boot from UEFI DVD drive), The drive does not show up in the Windows install. The next thing I tried was to enable UEFI and legacy oprom in CSM, boot from UEFI DVD drive and install to the RAID array (probably detected by legacy oprom) and it will install. After first reboot, Windows Boot manager will show up as an option in the BIOS boot menu so I set that as first boot device and reboot. I will get to the starting windows screen and then BSOD (too quick to get codes) The last thing I tried was Changing to legacy mode and installing windows to a different drive. once installed, I initialized the Raid array as GPT and rebooted, changed csm back to UEFI only but they RAID array still doesn't show in the boot device list so I repeated the earlier process hoping that It might work because I had initialized as GPT but it still BSODs on starting windows screen. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

mystiksinner, Jul 8, 2020
Thema:

Clean install in UEFI mode

1. Clean install in UEFI mode - Similar Threads - Clean install UEFI

2. Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install: I have a Lenovo Ideapad 3 with AMD Ryzen 5, it's only one year and 3 days old. In April, Lenovo released a security advisory stating that their devices had 3 bios or UEFI related vulnerabilities, that allowed a virus to rewrite the SPI and deactivate the UEFI among other...
  3. Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install: I have a Lenovo Ideapad 3 with AMD Ryzen 5, it's only one year and 3 days old. In April, Lenovo released a security advisory stating that their devices had 3 bios or UEFI related vulnerabilities, that allowed a virus to rewrite the SPI and deactivate the UEFI among other...
  4. UEFI install on clean SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    UEFI install on clean SSD: I've been having some trouble with my existing Windows 10 installation, and I'm planing to resinstall the OS from scratch on a brand new SSD that's fresh out of the box. I want to install it with UEFI and Secure Boot from a USB, as I'm currently using Bios. I've...
  5. Can Not Install W10 in UEFI Mode

Can Not Install W10 in UEFI Mode: Hello, This is my first post here. Just joined TenForums. I`m having a problem trying to install W10 in UEFI mode. It keeps installing in Legacy mode. Is there a setting that needs to be changed in the UEFI BIOS? Also it takes too long for the PC to finish POST. It takes...
  6. Enabling UEFI Mode AFTER clean install of Win10?

Enabling UEFI Mode AFTER clean install of Win10?: I already did a clean install of Win10 on my Dell laptop which does seem to support UEFI mode when I went through the BIOS setup screen. My current BIOS setup is using the Legacy BIOS mode. My question is, if I do decide to enable UEFI with Secure Boot, will I need to...
  7. Cannot clean install Win 10 UEFI mode (Toshiba Satellite C75A)

Cannot clean install Win 10 UEFI mode (Toshiba Satellite C75A): I’m trying to clean install Windows 10 in UEFI mode on a Toshiba Satellite C75A – it’s my old (4-5 yrs) laptop, want to use it as a backup as its still of a reasonable specification and performance. Originally it came with Win 8, then upgraded to 8.1 then 10, all in UEFI mode...
  8. Install Windows 10 in Uefi Mode.

Install Windows 10 in Uefi Mode.: I am wondering if I can install windows 10 creator's update on my new hp laptop, I have it on usb, in uefi mode. The reason I ask is that my older laptop, also an hp did not allow me to install via eufi, but in legacy only. I think it has something to do with oem windows...
  9. W10 install in UEFI mode

W10 install in UEFI mode: When I receive the Windows 10 download on July 29th or whenever they send it to me, I want to install it in UEFI mode. I am using Windows 8.1 64 bit currently and it is installed in BIOS mode. (Long story, I've never been willing to clean install after I had W8.1 up and...
  10. Clean install UEFI only 3 partitions

Clean install UEFI only 3 partitions: hi all I have clean installed windows 10 in UEFI mode it showed 4 partitions but after install only shows 3 partitions in disc managment no MSR reserved partition why How do I know it is UEFI mode 15497