Windows 10: Clean Install - Multiple drives

Discus and support Clean Install - Multiple drives in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Gateway ZX6800 AIO - previously W7 to W10 upgrades failed but I was able to do clean install. I did this on using a new Samsung SSD with other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bfunke, Dec 30, 2017.

1. bfunke Win User

Clean Install - Multiple drives

I have a Gateway ZX6800 AIO - previously W7 to W10 upgrades failed but I was able to do clean install. I did this on using a new Samsung SSD with other HD disconnected. I upgrade storage drive from 1TB to 2TB and copied all my data files to the new drive (D*Smile. I have W10 build 1607, MS Office 2016. Only other programs I use are Putty to SSH into my RPIs, Qbittorrent, and Spybot antibeacon. I use Outlook for email and all my mails are IMAP. Wife uses Oulook as well but insists on using a POP3 email. I think my .ost and .pst files are on the D drive but will have to double check that.

I’m now unable to update this machine to 1709 and think the issue is the drivers for the machine’s internal Avermedia TV tuner and the SD card reader. Both of these showed inop after prior clean install but I found working drivers with W10 after some searching. After troubleshooting I’ve resigned myself to having to do another clean install to get 1709. I plan to disconnect the 2TB HD and just do the clean install on the SSD.

My question is can I do this and then reconnect my data drive and point Win10 documents, photos and music back to the D drive. I also need to set oulook to use my existing pst and ost files. What else might I be forgetting?

:)

bfunke, Dec 30, 2017
  2. MikE_490 Win User

Computer restarts and repeats after "Get going fast" screen.

Thank you for the reply.

I actually was attempting a clean install, and deleted the partitions multiple times to start from scratch.

The solution in my case turned out to be to use a different hard drive. The second drive installed fine, where the first had failed multiple times. Apparently even though the first drive passed all tests, there was an issue someplace on the drive which
    affected the system partition.

If you are having the same issue, try Greg's suggestion first - a clean install is always best. If that fails, try a different hard drive.

Hope this helps someone else pulling their hair out!

MikE_490, Dec 30, 2017
  3. cjJr. Win User
    error 45 with sd drive kingston

win 10, clean install.....

thought it was in once after the clean win install

but system seems slow and the Kingston drive was used for cache to increase processing

now I get this error 45.... (device not installed)

went to manager and it is NOT there even after multiple refreshes

cjJr., Dec 30, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

If your just doing an update then you can just leave everything as it is and it will update ok its only a clean install that may write files to the wrong disk update is fine

Samuria, Dec 30, 2017
  5. zbook New Member
    Had you tried upgrading from 1607 to 1703?
    What happened?
    What were the failed upgrade error and error codes?

For 1607 > 1709 what were the failed upgrade error and error codes?

Consider these options:
    1) backup all important files to another drive
    2) make a backup image using Macrium:
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free
    3) Save the backup image on another drive or into the cloud
    4) perform a clean install
    Clean Install Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    5) restore the image back to the drive
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Backup Restore Tutorials

The alternative is to troubleshoot the Panther logs which have the information about the failed upgrade.

zbook, Dec 30, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Dec 30, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    One of the solutions for failure to upgrade in other threads was to make a backup images then clean install. The clean install makes new default partition sizes. Then the restoration is done. This was supposed to fix problems related to failed upgrades.

The computer used to type this post cannot be upgraded from 1703 to 1709. It had failed to upgrade from 1607 to 1703. The folders/files were saved in a Windows RE, the drive was clean installed with 1703, and the folders and files were restored. This was not done with Macrium. Currently it cannot be upgraded from 1703 to 1709. Many months ago there were threads on other websites suggesting the use of a backup image (not a clone) to troubleshoot this problem. If it will fail to work to fix these types of problems please indicate the limitations of the Macrium technique.

zbook, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean Install - Multiple drives - Similar Threads - Clean Install Multiple

2. to delete drive partitions for clean installation?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    to delete drive partitions for clean installation?: In a previous post, I mentioned I was in a bitlocker loop because my C drive was encrypted and i did not back up password correctlyI was told to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 by a user here. I had watched some videos on that process. It seems that I have to delete all...
  3. Clean install of Windows 10 on a desktop with multiple drives

Clean install of Windows 10 on a desktop with multiple drives: I have a Desktop PC with four internal drives Two SSD and two HDD. I am going to be replacing the SSD that runs Windows because it is no longer large enough for what I need. I want to do a clean install of Windows on it because it is getting slow. But this poses a basic...
  4. Multiple drives clean up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Multiple drives clean up: Hi, I recently changed my pc and kept the old hard drive from it for extra storage. I have; Local disc c: 8gb free of 218gb ssd System reserved D: 456mb free of 496mb all that is on this is a file $winre backup partition marker 0kb, can i delete this drive? Windows...
  5. Clean install to new drive

Clean install to new drive: I have been having trouble getting a clear result through searching. I want to reinstall/move the Windows 10 OS onto a new drive an SSD from where it currently resides on a HDD. What I can't seem to figure out is if a straight up clean install, setting the new drive as its...
  6. Issues with installing software after clean install (multiple times)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Issues with installing software after clean install (multiple times): I have had to clean install my OS everyday for the past 3 weeks to keep my PC working. It seems everytime i do a clean install, one or another program will not install correctly, or something else, and mess up everything and cause my PC to be unfixable without a reinstall of...
  7. Clean install on a HDD with multiple partitions

Clean install on a HDD with multiple partitions: I want to re install windows 10 on my laptop [img] How can I keep my D: and E: partitions? Do i just delete the other 4 including C: where windows is installed and make a new 1 and install windows there? 111289
  8. Multiple BSODs since clean install

Multiple BSODs since clean install: Hey, I'm spent, hopefully the experts can help *Smile I did a clean install of Windows 10 a few days ago since I was BSODing like crazy, but they're still happening. I'm not well versed in reading the dumps or crash logs. BlueScreenView tells me that all BSODs are...
  9. Multiple BSOD after clean install

Multiple BSOD after clean install: Good afternoon, I started having a few BSOD crashes last month and after exhaustive attempts to solve this issue myself with no progress I did a clean install of windows 10. The issue remains, however, it is less frequent now. Attachment 86921 54464
  10. Phantom Drives on clean install

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Phantom Drives on clean install: I've been working on a Win10 clean install for a few weeks and this has been a huge uphill battle. Every day I seem to encounter some very weird issue and it takes me days/weeks to resolve. Tonight I just encountered several phantom drives. In the following image the drives...