Windows 10: Clean install not activated despite upgrading first.

Discus and support Clean install not activated despite upgrading first. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi guys, I've just done a clean install of Windows 10 but in settings it's showing as Windows 10 Home and not activated. I upgraded from W7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by parkersblock, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Clean install not activated despite upgrading first.

Hi guys,

I've just done a clean install of Windows 10 but in settings it's showing as Windows 10 Home and not activated.

I upgraded from W7 Ultimate to W10 Pro without a problem so not sure why it's not activating.

I did format the main drive during clean install, would this of caused the problem?

Thanks in advance.

:)

parkersblock, Jul 30, 2015

2. Activation of a clean install failed (upgraded first)

To conclude it: Nothing helped. I am a licence shorter... Maybe the Windows won't activate because of the replaced disk. Now I cannot even use the old HDD installation because the disk began to fail (often chkdsk error found, access very slow). What a
    terrible luck.

Aros_Prince, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Activation of a clean install failed (upgraded first)

Hi

The problem is that you are trying to apply a Product Key to the installation and there is no Product Key associated with the Windows 10 activation when using the Free Upgrade version.

The Free Upgrade for Windows 10 uses a Hardware Based activation called
    Digital Entitlement. This enforces the rule that the Free installation is fully supported for the Lifetime of the Device where it is installed.

After you complete the install of the Free Upgrade, you can replace the Hard Drive and perform a Clean Install of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool.

Download Windows 10:

If you need to install or reinstall Windows 10, you can use the tools on this page to create your own installation media using either a USB flash drive or a DVD.

Download Windows 10

The Activation should be automatic when you replace the HDD and reinstall using the ISO, as long as the installation was activated prior to changing the HDD.

Here is a reply from Gabe Aul about this situation.

Gabriel Aul on Twitter

My hdd became corrupt so lost everything if fresh install on win 10 pro and log in with msa will i still be able to activate window.

If Win10 was activated with your old HDD then yes, you should be able to replace, reinstall, & reactivate.

Regards

Ronnie Vernon, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Clean install not activated despite upgrading first.

Did you activate the upgrade?

nigelmercier, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Yes it was activated.

I just read it may be down to me upgrading using the iso rather than waiting for windows app to push it to me.

Do you know if that's correct?

cheers

6. Nait Win User
    Hi, no that can't be the problem as it happened to me as well after upgrading from win 8.1 pro to win 10 pro.
    After the clean install win 10 is not activated and it has passed 2 days now. I don't know what to do either. I have not seen many people with this issue I guess not many are doing clean install.
    Thanks

7. ossie Win User
    If you haven't yet been activated, you can try forcing it via command prompt: run cmd.exe as an administrator, then type slmgr.vbs /ato. You may need to try a few times. It worked for me. Let us know if successful as I had same problem after clean install.

ossie, Jul 30, 2015
  8. Clean install not activated despite upgrading first.

2 Days! I think i'll reinstall W7 and start again as i'm too impatient.

9. I've just given it a go but no luck.

The fact my system is saying home rather than pro is leading me to believe I could of downloaded the wrong iso to do the clean install with?

10. Nait Win User
    Yes I have tried that already and it didn't work it keeps saying the key is not valid. But I checked that windows 10 was activated after the upgrade. This is so frustrating now I even have a watermark in my desktop.
    Shall I keep waiting or do the process again? If I do will it make any difference?

11. I don't know to be honest. It depend whether you can wait for a fix if there even is one.

I've rolled back onto W7 Ultimate now so will upgrade to 10 again shortly.

12. Nait Win User
    To be honest I can't wait but rolling back to win 8.1 and do the whole process is a bit of a pain.
    Are you planning to do a clean install after the upgrade? If you do please let us know how it went and the steps you followed.
    Thanks

13. Clean install not activated despite upgrading first.

Yeah it's royal pain considering I actually had everything set up nicely before doing so.

I'm not sure if I'll do a clean install yet, I may just try cleaning up whats left over from W7 manually but will update the thread either way.

14. I've sucessfully upgraded to Windows 10 Pro via a clean installation now.

The activation was instant so I believe my initial problem was probably due to using the wrong version of Windows 10 when performing the clean install.

15. Nait Win User
    Ohh lucky you mine is not activated yet, which version did you use initially?

Thema:

Clean install not activated despite upgrading first.

1. Clean install not activated despite upgrading first. - Similar Threads - Clean install activated

2. Upgrade or clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade or clean install: Hello everyone. What's preferable, an upgrade or a clean install? Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-or-clean-install/01e13cd7-40ce-47ce-bd1a-e92de4b77f7c
  3. Clean install after upgrade Windows NOT activating

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean install after upgrade Windows NOT activating: Did a clean install after a Windows 10 Pro upgrade, from a disk created from an ISO from media creator...all went ok, but says Windows not activated....just telling me to go to the store and buy a licence or enter a new key.... It was activated before I did the clean...
  4. Clean install after upgrade and now not activated: troubleshooting

Clean install after upgrade and now not activated: troubleshooting: Some months ago I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 pro. I recently did a clean install, spent hrs setting up the system the way I wanted and then received a prompt about activation. After this I did another clean install of Windows 10 Pro N with the same result. No...
  5. Windows 10 clean install not activated (Hardware upgraded)

Windows 10 clean install not activated (Hardware upgraded): So a few months back I upgraded for free from win7 to win10 Pro. Today I got a new CPU, RAM, MBO (also currently using the new MBO onboard GPU, waiting for my new one) and did a clean install of Win10 (from USB created with MediaCreationToolkit). Now I remember reading...
  6. Windows 10 Upgrade + Clean install Activates then Deactivates

Windows 10 Upgrade + Clean install Activates then Deactivates: Ye old Error code: 0xC004C003 I made sure 8.1 Pro to the upgrade to 10 Pro was activated before I did a clean install. This last month the system has been acting weird. Once in windows its fine, but I was getting startup errors that made windows restart while starting...
  7. How to do clean install without upgrading 7 / 8.1 first

How to do clean install without upgrading 7 / 8.1 first: I haven't tried it myself (as I upgraded THEN did a clean install before this article appeared) but assuming it works this can be a big time saver. How to clean install Windows 10 directly without upgrade - gHacks Tech News 20476
  8. Upgrade or Clean install?

Upgrade or Clean install?: I installed Win10 (clean Install) then reinstalled Win7 (clean). I'm now going to reinstall Win10 again after getting answers to issues I had with it. So my question, is it easier to just upgrade to Win10 since my programs are already installed in Win7, rather than a clean...
  9. Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First: How to: Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First How to Directly Clean Install Windows 10 without having to Upgrade First [img] Information By default to get the clean install Windows 10 on the PC anytime, and have Windows 10 automatically...
  10. Windows 10 will not activate after upgrade / clean install?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 will not activate after upgrade / clean install?: Hey Guys I upgraded from 8.1 (genuine Sony Vaio ) using the media creation upgrade option, it installed and activated to windows 10 pro. I then used the same media creation tool to download the iso and used Rufus to put it onto a usb so that I could do a clean install....