Windows 10: Clean install - now network issue

Discus and support Clean install - now network issue in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; my sons PC has been getting very slow .... Dell E521 but no errors and no network issues. Decided to do a clean install of all. So used the Dell OS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by sargan, Jul 26, 2016.

1. sargan Win User

Clean install - now network issue

my sons PC has been getting very slow .... Dell E521 but no errors and no network issues.

Decided to do a clean install of all.
    So used the Dell OS re-install to put in a clean install of XP-Professional
    Obviously first thing to do is to get network connectivity all OK ... then I can look at newer OS, and getting to W10
    All OS went in OK ... other than it is prompting for network validation.

Also ran the Dell drivers resource cd to install all the drivers.
    At this point Ethernet works - to a fashion - but not correctly.

By default it has IE6 ... when I for example type in bbc.co.uk it will go to that site OK (site does complain not optimised browser as it is too old)
    If I try Amazon.co.uk - fails
    Google - fails
    Microsoft update site - fails

Microsoft activation site fails
    Kaspersky main site fails
    Kaspersky HTTPS for download fails

The failure is 'cannot find server or DNS error'

I went to IE
    >Tools
    >internet options
    >connections
    > LAN settings : set to Automatically detect settings

then tried

>Tools
    >internet options
    >connections
    >Setup
    >connect to internet
    >set up connection manually
    >connect using Broadband that is always on

Still the same.
    Also tried using set up a home network ... it was happy to connect to router but still browsing issues.

What am I missing ?

:)

sargan, Jul 26, 2016
  2. Plateam Win User

Windows 10 Black screen before lock screen (after boot, no cursor)

New info:

Okay i did the **** clean install, and now, if i install my network drivers from CD, two minutes and i get black screen again.

After redoing clean install, this time disabling windows updates before installing network drivers, everything is fine and working.

So i can't even enable windows updates when i'm connected to network, because that will give black screen problem again.

Plateam, Jul 26, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Settings won't work, Wifi drops irregularly

Are You blind? Issue is on clean Windows 10 installation. I CAN connect to a wifi network and the network works BUT a lot of pings are lost, connections are lost (even though network
    is connected).

SirBeherit, Jul 26, 2016
  4. sargan Win User

OK .. just spent another several Hrs of fun.

One important thing I found it is IE related ONLYI
    installed FireFox and that works fine .. allowed me to manually get SP3. & Kaspersky

Ran diagnostics it says HTTP, HTTPS & FTP is blocked .. and to change Firewall settings.

I disabled Windows Firewall as Kasperky installed (and working fine with Firefox)

Run diagnostics - same error

I found some IE and internet diagnostics on MS web site .. CAB files .... but XP does not know what to do with them, even if I unzip first it still does not know what to run files with.

I then found another IE fix entitled IEFIX .... ran all of that and it reports all is fine.

Need to get IE working as I can't get MS updates without it.

sargan, Jul 27, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    Sounds like there is issues. XP cannot be upgraded to Windows 10. You would have to download the ISO and burn to a DVD to install on that computer. Do a fresh install of Windows 10, do not add any third party utilities. If the Ethernet drivers or Video drivers do not install, you can download them from the chipset manufacturer website.

It will run slow if your son get it infected before you did a clean install.

bro67, Jul 27, 2016
  6. sargan Win User
    I have a Re-install CD from Dell ... pre-licensed.
    I used that to do a clean install finished this morning........... it was not used ... so only time it was connected to internet was when trying to get network connection working.

The only way I can tell if network is going to work is by connecting ethernet.

sargan, Jul 27, 2016
  7. sargan Win User
    Forgot to add I can ping all the sites that fail under IE ... and can connect to them OK with Firefox

sargan, Jul 27, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

That does not mean anything. Especially with the fact that Microsoft is no longer allowing XP to be activated. Again you just need to install Windows 10 and toss the XP discs with the Dell garbage on them.

Keep trying XP and you will never get it to install the drivers, since they are slowly going away from the OEM sites and chipset manufacturers.

bro67, Jul 27, 2016
  9. linw Win User
    You should never use IE6, either. It is WAAAAAY out of date and insecure to boot.

10. sargan Win User
    IE6 is the latest ver of IE that will work on XP ... so I can't upgrade it.
    Will this PC support W10 OK? .... it is a Dimension E521 with Athlon 64 X2 dual processor.
    I understand the comment "toss the XP discs with the Dell garbage on them." but then I have no license, I would have to buy a full W10 license ?
    Or should I consider buying W7 license, install and then try free upgrade.

Or forget the pain ... and leave it as is working on XP with Firefox

sargan, Jul 27, 2016
  11. linw Win User
    It looks like some have been able to get win 10 working but graphic card can be a problem. Google it and have a look yourself.

It's really too late to buy win 7 then update to win 10 as tomorrow is the last day it can be done free (midnight 29 Jul).

Over to you if you keep XP with Firefox but at some stage you have to accept that a 10 year old comp needs moving on. A good half way choice is to buy an ex-lease computer. I have bought several here in NZ that had win 7 licences which I updated to win 10. Cost in total was less than the price of a win 10 licence. But like I said, the free win 10 offer is all but over so this neat solution isn't viable now.

Cheers and best wishes.

12. sargan Win User
    Maybe I'll just leave as is for now. Scrap it at some time in future. (when Kaspersky ceases support)

At least Firefox gives an up to date browser.

sargan, Jul 27, 2016
  13. sargan Win User

I know that MS stopped support for XP at SP3
    There is now an unofficial SP4
    Anybody any experience with this ?

It may fix my IE issue as it takes it to v8

Windows XP SP4 Unofficial Download

sargan, Jul 27, 2016
  14. bro67 Win User
    It is the only one that will work with XP. Let alone the fact that Microsoft no longer supports XP or even have the KB updates for download.

bro67, Jul 28, 2016
  15. bro67 Win User
    There is no official SP4 for XP. Those so called Service Packs can contain malware. The computer is powerful enough to run Windows 10. You would have to get Windows 7 installed on it and then upgrade that to Windows 10.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean install - now network issue - Similar Threads - Clean install network

2. Issues with clean Win10 Install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issues with clean Win10 Install: [IMG]I don’t know how to write this I’m not great with computers but this is currently where I’m at and I have no idea where to go from here. I used IBuyPowers guide to fixing “Reboot and select proper boot media, or insert a boot device” and everything was going well up...
  3. Issues with clean install

Issues with clean install: So I tried to clean install windows the resetting windows got stuck at 99%, eventually restarted but said could not delete everything. windowes install started but bugged out halfway through. now when I boot I gett windows installationj failed to start. My bios settign seem...
  4. No wireless network after clean install

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No wireless network after clean install: I recently performed a clean install of windows 10 home. I can access the internet with an ethernet connection but there is no wireless connection available. In the device manager, under other devices and network controller there is a blue question mark over a white circle,...
  5. Windows 10 clean install no network

Windows 10 clean install no network: Hi, II'm trying to install windows 10 to an ssd drive and when it gets to installing updates it says no internet connection and quits.....anyway around this??? Thanks, mike...
  6. install issue is now a booting issue

install issue is now a booting issue: I’m having a terrible issue where my pc stopped loading after a windows 10 update. Now when turn my PC on, it shuts off after it reads the HD. I was able to clear it off and install 8.1 but when I got to install windows 10, it does the same thing and shuts off and tries to...
  7. Issue with Clean Install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Issue with Clean Install: Today i upgraded my mother board, cpu and ram to an asrock z170 K6, an i7 6700k, and 2x8n ddr4 ram and i am trying to do a clean install from a usb created with the media creation tool. I have made 3 usb's and have gotten multiple BSOD's and now i am at the point where the...
  8. Clean install now possible?

Clean install now possible?: Hi Guys, I upgraded from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 10 Pro using the Media Creation Tool method. Can I now follow Brink's tutorial for a clean install, or did I have to use the Get Windows 10 App for a clean install to work? 10181
  9. Clean install now?

Clean install now?: My system (W7 64) is badly in need of a clean install but I was waiting until next month to do it with W10. However, it is quickly becoming unusable so I am wondering about doing it immediately - with the preview (I already use preview W10 on my laptop). However, the FAQ...
  10. should i now clean install

should i now clean install: evening guys, question for you all am using 10240 as an insider should I now do a clean install or just leave it running as it is , only with all the downloads and updates since day 1 i,ve accumulated 86gb used on my hard drive out of 234gb if so what product key do I use...