Windows 10: Clean install of Win 10 Pro using excessive space on SSD

Discus and support Clean install of Win 10 Pro using excessive space on SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am rebuilding a PC for a friend's schoolboy son. I have incorporated a 256 SSD which I did not partition before installing the OS, aka it is a single... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Roy_C, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Roy_C Win User

Clean install of Win 10 Pro using excessive space on SSD

I am rebuilding a PC for a friend's schoolboy son. I have incorporated a 256 SSD which I did not partition before installing the OS, aka it is a single partition. After installing Win 10 Pro and minimal software Libre Office, Chrome, Kaspersky Security apps and a couple of small utilities I decided I should shrink the partition however the disk shows near full capacity and offered only about 450 Mb available shrink space, so shrinking it is not a useful option.

I'd appreciate clarification on what's going on here and how top rectify the problem without a full re-installation.

Roy

:)

Roy_C, Sep 23, 2020
  2. kajson Win User

Win 10 clean install question

Hello everyone,

my brother in law has bought a new computer yesterday still with win 8.1 on it, which he'll be upgrading to windows 10. I'm guessing non pro edition. So far I've determined that if you want to do a clean install after the upgrade you don't use an updated productkey, rather microsoft registers somehow your hardware id and auto activates.

Now here's my worry, the computer isn't coming with an ssd, and I'm building that in tommorow, and I want to do the clean install on the ssd understandably.
    My question is, will this alter the hardware ID in such a way that Win 10 won't activate anymore. I know there's a 30 day grace period to fix things, but I'd rather get everything right straight away.
    I'm also wondering if I can just format the former system drive after win 10 has been activated on the SSD or if this will screw up some activation logging file or whatever other important stuff they've somehow left on the older installation.

If it doesnt activate it would mean I'd have to get into contact with microsofts help desk, which I reckon will be extremely hard to reach anyways, and my experience with them hasn't been great sofar.

Thanks in advance for any light shed on the matter. I'm sure more people are debating a form of this conundrum.

kajson, Sep 23, 2020
  3. Win 10 clean install question

This is what I would do:
    • Shrink the hard drive partition until it's small enough to fit on the SSD.
    • Clone the Windows 8.1 setup to the SSD.
    • Boot off the SSD and make sure that Windows 8.1 is happy (i.e., no complaints about activation).
    • Upgrade to Windows 10 on the SSD.
    This way, you know that Windows 8.1 has a valid setup on the SSD before doing anything else. Plus, the Windows 10 upgrade will be processed much faster on the SSD. Finally, you still have the hard drive setup to fall back to if anything goes wrong.

Static~Charge, Sep 23, 2020
  4. Clean install of Win 10 Pro using excessive space on SSD

Clean Windows 10 (?PRO?) install

I have bought a legit "Windows 10 Pro" key of a key website. It is legit since i'm currently using it for over a year now. I currently have Windows 10 Pro installed on my PC and I want to do a clean install. I just can't find the windows 10 Pro download in the tool. But if i could use a windows 10 pro key with a normal windows 10 install, I'll be good to go.

JeroenBeunckens, Sep 23, 2020
Thema:

Clean install of Win 10 Pro using excessive space on SSD

1. Clean install of Win 10 Pro using excessive space on SSD - Similar Threads - Clean install Pro

2. did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...: did a clean install of win 10 with win 10 installation disk on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean" install is using 3 quarters of the ssd. trying to find a way to format said ssd without success. Is there a utility out there that can override window's...
  3. did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...: did a clean install of win 10 with win 10 installation disk on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean" install is using 3 quarters of the ssd. trying to find a way to format said ssd without success. Is there a utility out there that can override window's...
  4. did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Win 10 clean install on SSD

Win 10 clean install on SSD: I’m trying to install Win 10 Pro on a new SSD. I’m using a bootable USB created with the latest Rufus utility. I’ve gotten to several places in the install screen the everything goes black. So far, as far as the windows repair facility then stalled because it says I’m not an...
  6. Windows 10 clean install taking forever and excessive space

Windows 10 clean install taking forever and excessive space: Hi everyone, My dad's hard drive recently crashed and he asked me to help him get a new hard drive and install Windows. He bought a 900 some gb hard drive and a USB install of windows 10 and has been trying to install it all night. The program keeps resetting his computer...
  7. Clean install win 10 Pro

Clean install win 10 Pro: Hello, I'm not a power user or well practiced on or in computing. I have a Lenovo E570 laptop with Win 10Pro V1903 It has two SSD's. I'd like to clean install a new copy of Win 10 Pro. I've got both drives backed up on an external drive. When it comes time to restore...
  8. Clean install win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean install win 10 Pro: Hello, I'm not a power user or well practiced on or in computing. I have a Lenovo E570 laptop with Win 10Pro V1903 It has two SSD's. I'd like to clean install a new copy of Win 10 Pro. I've got both drives backed up on an external drive. When it comes time to restore...
  9. New SSD clean Install Win 10 Pro 64bit

New SSD clean Install Win 10 Pro 64bit: Hi Everybody, In about 2-3 weeks I will get a new SSD Samsung 850 EVO Basic MZ-75E2T0 2TB to replace my too small SSD of the same brand. I am running Win 10 Pro 64-bit fully licensed and I have all the keys like Product ID, Installed Key, Original Key, Original Edition...
  10. Clean WIn 10 Pro Install

Clean WIn 10 Pro Install: Got a new dell with Win 10 Pro. I am putting in a new SSD and want to do a clean install. Is this the correct MS download? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10 It downloads the media creation tool. Then options are Win 10, Win 10 Home, and Win 10 N....