Windows 10: Clean install of Windows 10 Ann update

Discus and support Clean install of Windows 10 Ann update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there Just installed the Anniversary update but have come across a few problems, the install itself went fine.. but.. 1) How to make Cortana... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zooburner, Aug 6, 2016.

1. zooburner Win User

Clean install of Windows 10 Ann update

Hi there

Just installed the Anniversary update but have come across a few problems, the install itself went fine.. but..

1) How to make Cortana search local computer only, right now I'm getting all manners of unwanted suggestions few of them relevant to my search

2) Store keeps downloading apps I have purposely uninstalled, it seems to be acting more like adware than a mature operating system I really don't want games downloaded onto my system especially without my express permission.

This kind of behaviour reminds me of the GWX debacle in windows 7, windows used to be such a pleasant experience now I feel I'm fighting it all the time.

:)

zooburner, Aug 6, 2016
  2. shui054 Win User

Windows10

Hi Anne,

I did the clean boot and it did not work, but then I reread the link you referred to and it says "If you could not install or uninstall a program or an update before you
    performed the clean boot, try to install or uninstall the program or update again."

Just to clarify, does that mean I would have to uninstall and reinstall Windows 10?

shui054, Aug 6, 2016
  3. parky86 Win User
    Anne Update

also is there any way to get the text message buttons to the size they were before? that was one of the main things that made me buy this phone because i have big fingers!

parky86, Aug 6, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, Cortana's search of your files is limited to what's indexed. Others have found this problematical and limited.
    Conclusion: ignore it.

Explorer search is better, but slow when not indexed.

Far faster are two tools:
    a. Everything by Void Tools
    b. Locate32 - which I use

Both very quickly create an index of all your files and folder names, and give 'find-as-you-type" results.
    I prefer the older Locate 32 'cos its GUI supports so many ways of specifying the extent of the search more intuitively and conveniently, whereas Everything requires typing strings e.g. to specify searching only a drive or folder.

Both free.

Really it's hardly worth uninstalling the default apps- they don't create a significant overhead, and will be replaced on each major upgrade or if you did an in-place upgrade repair install, for example.

dalchina, Aug 6, 2016
  5. throkr Win User
    Hi zooburner,
    You could just use this amazing (and very reliable) tool where you will also find the solutions for your 2 problems :
    point 1 : see here
    point 2 : see here

Hope this helps ...*Wink

throkr, Aug 6, 2016
  6. zooburner Win User
    Thanks throkr, that was very helpful *Smile

zooburner, Aug 6, 2016
  7. throkr Win User
    Excellent.*Smile

throkr, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean install of Windows 10 Ann update - Similar Threads - Clean install Ann

2. Clean install or update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install or update?: Getting everything ready to update from Windows 7 Ultimate to 10. Question is, which method to follow? Clean installation as per this guide. Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First Or just follow this guide: Upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7...
  3. Can't update or clean install windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't update or clean install windows 10: As the title says i cant update or clean install windows 10. At first i could not update my OS as files were corrupted. I then tired to use the clean installation tool to reinstall windows. This could not happen as 'this language or edition of windows currently installed on...
  4. Updates fail on clean Windows 10 installation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates fail on clean Windows 10 installation: Hello everyone. Just made a clean install of Windows 10 version 1903 on my laptop. The system done some updates, but the following won't complete: KB4516115 - Error code: 0x80070003 KB4514359 - Error code: 0x80070003 KB4515384 - Error code: 0x80242016 I tried to re-install...
  5. How clean is a windows 10 clean install?

How clean is a windows 10 clean install?: I just went through two days of reading up on doing a Windows 10 "clean " reinstall from installation Media from THIS site (the reason was that after a system re-set my entire laptop was an explosion of every virus I've ever heard of. The reason for that:? AVAST, what else?...
  6. Win 10 Ann Ed - "Shutdown without updating"

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Ann Ed - "Shutdown without updating": Hi ALL, My main desktop PC updated to Win 10 Ann Ed without any problem as did my sister's desktop. I was over to my sister's house the other day and doing something on her PC when I went to shut it down I was offered 4 choices: Restart with updates Restart without...
  7. Clean Install Windows 10

Clean Install Windows 10: Hi I need some help. I reformatted my computer and did a clean install of Windows 10 on my original Windows 7 computer. It now won't recognize my Windows 7 product key. What should I do? 9553
  8. Win 10 Ann Ed clean install gets stuck in boot up!

Win 10 Ann Ed clean install gets stuck in boot up!: Hi ALL, I have a small Dell Zino PC acting as a HTPC and it gave me fits trying to update to Win 10 Ann Ed. So I did a clean install and that seemed to work. But then a few times it got stuck booting up. It gets past the BIOS screens and gets into the first Win 10 screen,...
  9. Windows 10 clean install stuck installing updates

Windows 10 clean install stuck installing updates: Greetings, I've just registered into this forum, i hope there would be someone who can solve my problem, thanks before My device: Laptop Asus G73SW Core i7 8GB RAM 460M 2x1TB drive UEFI support (but still with old bios interface) Media & method used: 8GB usb...
  10. Windows 10 Creators Update - Clean installation

Windows 10 Creators Update - Clean installation: I just received Windows 10 Creators Update, and I also want to perform a clean installation, but does the Windows 10 download right now from Microsoft website contains this update? Or I will have to do a clean install, and then wait a bit (a few days, hours?), or, I will be...