Windows 10: Clean Install of Windows 10 - Data on separate Drive

Discus and support Clean Install of Windows 10 - Data on separate Drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a PC with two HDs. I have some corrupted OS files and will be re-installing Windows 10 as a clean install. Presently, the OS in on the smaller... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tomrhyne, Feb 11, 2017.

1. tomrhyne Win User

Clean Install of Windows 10 - Data on separate Drive

I have a PC with two HDs. I have some corrupted OS files and will be re-installing Windows 10 as a clean install. Presently, the OS in on the smaller drive and I have the OS set so that data is stored on the second larger drive. I am replacing the smaller drive with SSD on which I will re-install Windows 10. My question is can I reinstall the OS and other apps on the SSD and have them point to the existing data on the larger drive? Or do I have to reinstall the data? If the former can be done what steps should I follow? Thanks.

:)

tomrhyne, Feb 11, 2017

2. USB Keyboard and Mouse no longer work on Windows 10 Login Screen

You should not keep program data on separate drive.

and

you may have to go into BIOS and select BIOS install or Dual BIOS and EFI just to get a clean install since windows has prevented you from doing anything.

your external drive should be to store personal files and back ups only

do not put system operating files on a separate drive, this will cause problems.

seahawks65, Feb 11, 2017
  3. Steve_830 Win User
    If I clean install Windows 10 can I select the partition where I want to install?

OT: Clean Install.

If I clean install Windows 10 can I select the partition where I want to install. My notebook computer is divided into separate

partitions. Or does it destroy everything on the Hard drive. Is the windows 10 setup to clean install similar to the purchased copy of windows 8.1?

Steve_830, Feb 11, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

When you install remove the second drive so it doesn't get mixed up once up and running add it if it's just data it will work ok

Samuria, Feb 11, 2017
Thema:

1. Clean Install of Windows 10 - Data on separate Drive - Similar Threads - Clean Install Data

2. Installing Windows 10 to a Separate Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows 10 to a Separate Drive: Hello. First, my apologies for not being fluent in English. I want to install Windows 10 Pro to a separate drive. Currently I have Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit (6.3 Build 9600) in one drive. Let's call the Windows 8.1 Pro drive Sabrent A, and the drive I want to install Windows...
  3. clean install without losing all data on all drives?

clean install without losing all data on all drives?: hey. i wonder if i can do a clean win 10 install without losing all data on all drives?i have about 3-4 TB of data and i dont really want to redownload all of it. thanks....
  4. How to separate data?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to separate data?: Hi all On my pc i have a 240gb ssd and a 2tb sata and It really annoys me that all of my data is all shoved together. Is it possible to put ONLY my windows software on the ssd, create a partition on my sata for applications and another on the sata for everything else. While...
  5. Windows 10 - separate storage drives for software and data

Windows 10 - separate storage drives for software and data: I recently bought a PC with Windows Pro, built from an Intel NUC 8i7 with a fast 512GB NVME SSD and a 1TB HHD, intending to use the SSD for software and other high-access files, and the HDD for normal data. It came yesterday with everything set up on the NVMe SSD as the C:...
  6. ...Windows 10 - how to install programs on a separate drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ...Windows 10 - how to install programs on a separate drive: Hi How do I get Windows to install programs on a separate drive? My new PC has 2 SSD drives - C is for windows 10 and E is for programs. I changed the registry settings for Program Files and Program Files (86) to drive E. Programs still install on C. Also when new...
  7. ...Windows 10 - how to install programs on a separate drive

in Windows 10 Support
    ...Windows 10 - how to install programs on a separate drive: Hi How do I get Windows to install programs on a separate drive? My new PC has 2 SSD drives - C is for windows 10 and E is for programs. I changed the registry settings for Program Files and Program Files (86) to drive E. Programs still install on C. Also when new...
  8. Installing fresh Windows 10 on a separate drive

Installing fresh Windows 10 on a separate drive: I'll try to cut my story short. The Acer I bought almost two years ago comes with no-brand M.2 SSD. It broke after a while so I bough Crucial MX500 2.5 SATA, that's because at that time I didn't even look inside and thought my laptop still runs on Sata. Anyway I connected it...
  9. Clean Install Windows 10 on SSD & Data on Hard Drive

Clean Install Windows 10 on SSD & Data on Hard Drive: I have Windows 7 on a SSD and my User files, programs, and data on a 1TB hard drive. I plan on doing a clean install and want to keep the same setup. Do I need to format the hard drive also? If not, how do I install Win 10 & put the User files on the hard drive? 56289
  10. Data on separate partition or drive?

Data on separate partition or drive?: Wondering how Windows 10 deals with putting data on a separate partition or drive. Does it use the same general method as in Windows 7, where it re-maps (for example) "Documents" to a folder on a different letter drive path? So that C:\Users\{user}\Documents becomes...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. installing windows 10 on 1 drive and keeping all data and programs on separate drive

2. help with windows 10 update clean install with separate data drive.