Windows 10: Clean Install of Windows 10 Fails to Boot without Installation Medium Present

Discus and support Clean Install of Windows 10 Fails to Boot without Installation Medium Present in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am trying to create a fresh install of Windows 10 on my laptop's NVMe SSD, however I am unable to do so successfully. I will eventually add a second... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mepix_tr, Feb 3, 2020.

1. mepix_tr Win User

Clean Install of Windows 10 Fails to Boot without Installation Medium Present

I am trying to create a fresh install of Windows 10 on my laptop's NVMe SSD, however I am unable to do so successfully. I will eventually add a second SSD to the laptop that contains Linux, but that drive is physically removed from the laptop during the Windows 10 install.

Procedure:

1 Format an 8GB USB with the NTFS format and created a fresh copy of the Windows 10 installer.

2 Insert the USB into the target laptop and run through the installation process

3 After the installation process is complete, restart the laptop

Results:

If I leave the USB plugged in, the laptop will boot back into the installer screen and prompts me to install Windows again.

If I remove the USB, I get an error that no bootable drives are present

If I shutdown the computer and enter the BIOS when I restart, I have the option in the boot manager to select whether to boot from the USB installation medium or boot into Windows on the SSD.

Problem:

I cannot boot into Windows without the original installation medium USB present. It seems that the installer is placing the boot manager on the USB instead of on the SSD!

Mitigation Steps:

• Tried two different USB sticks in case one installer was somehow corrupted.
    • Verified in my BIOS that I have SATA set to ACHI
    • Verified that I have secure boot disabled
    • Reinstalled Windows 10 at least 5 times

Questions:

• What do I need to do to resolve this problem and get a usable version of Windows 10?
    • Is there a way to explicitly partition the SSD and select where the bootmanager is placed?

Related Forum Posts:

:)

mepix_tr, Feb 3, 2020

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Feb 3, 2020
  3. jds21 Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Feb 3, 2020
  4. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Feb 3, 2020
Thema:

1. Clean Install of Windows 10 Fails to Boot without Installation Medium Present - Similar Threads - Clean Install Fails

2. Impossible to create untampered, modified USB installation medium for clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Impossible to create untampered, modified USB installation medium for clean install: Hi,For the last 8 months, I've been trying various things to create a "vanilla" Windows 11 Pro using the downloaded official .ISO and creating an USB installation medium. However, it is impossible for various reasons, but all have to do with the scenario when your OEM...
  3. Impossible to create untampered, modified USB installation medium for clean install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Impossible to create untampered, modified USB installation medium for clean install: Hi,For the last 8 months, I've been trying various things to create a "vanilla" Windows 11 Pro using the downloaded official .ISO and creating an USB installation medium. However, it is impossible for various reasons, but all have to do with the scenario when your OEM...
  4. Windows 10 Clean Install Failing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Clean Install Failing: I have the current setup: MoBo: ASRock X570 Steel Legend (AM4) CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 GPU: GTX960 RAM: 16Gb Patriot Viper 3200MHz 2x8Gb Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 Tb M.2 NVME All devices are seen in BIOS. I am booting with a Windows 10 bootable USB device, created using the...
  5. Failed Windows 10 Clean Install...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Failed Windows 10 Clean Install...: Jesus Christ, my high-end PC might be in a really bad state. Could be a really bad virus. I tried to startup repair. PC restarts with a black screen. I tried to uninstall the previous Windows update. Black screen. Latest windows update won't install and comes out with an...
  6. Clean - Without the Install

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean - Without the Install: I have been asked to help, and am clueless. I've been given a working laptop and a tower to prepare for a yard sale and if not sold to donate to Salvation Army. It is desired to wipe the drives and leave it to the buyers to put their own OS. How to do? (hopefully a tutorial?)...
  7. Booting clean installation of windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting clean installation of windows 10: Hi, I am Rishad. So,basically I was trying to reinstall windows after the C: drive was showing error. I tried to boot it up from a bootable usb and I have succeded but my C: drive was showing error again and wanted repair after I checked it.So,I tried to install ubuntu...
  8. Failing clean Windows 10 Install

Failing clean Windows 10 Install: Hello. I am at my wit's end with trying to figure out why I can't get a clean install of Windows 10. Figured I'd try this before taking to the shop to spend money I don't have :) I have a HP 14-AL062NR laptop. I've had it for a few years and used it heavily. About a month...
  9. Clean install of Windows 10 without upgrading.

Clean install of Windows 10 without upgrading.: Hello guys, when W10 first came out, I upgraded it from Win 8.1 to 10. Now, I want to make a clean install of W10, and I was wondering If I could use my W8.1 key. I mean, not installing 8.1 and upgrading, just installing W10 and putting the cd key, since I have it...
  10. clean install of Windows 10 fails

clean install of Windows 10 fails: Hi all, This is my first time posting in the forums and i am hoping you all will be able to help me. I am using the "Clean Install" guide from TenForums found here. During the installation when i arrive to step 13b (Windows Setup will automatically create the 4...