Windows 10: clean install of windows 10 on new disk, but won't boot without the old windows 7 drive...

Discus and support clean install of windows 10 on new disk, but won't boot without the old windows 7 drive... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Existing machine had Windows 7 on a single 1TB disk. I added a 2TB disk and installed WIndows 10 on that disk. I left the 1TB disk connected so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by exoilman, May 6, 2021.

1. exoilman Win User

clean install of windows 10 on new disk, but won't boot without the old windows 7 drive...

Existing machine had Windows 7 on a single 1TB disk. I added a 2TB disk and installed WIndows 10 on that disk. I left the 1TB disk connected so I could transfer over data files after install complete. Install went heavenly, copied over data and so shut down machine and removed the old disk completely.But when it booted it couldn't find a boot device. I wept as I assumed I must have screwed up the new hard disk somehow. After some tinkering, I went ahead and put the old drive back in so now two drives in system. And guess what! I booted, giving

:)

exoilman, May 6, 2021

2. New install Windows 10 (issue solved)

Building new new PC. I've got a Windows 10 disk but no DVD drive in the new build.

Can i just copy the files from the Windows 10 disk to a clean flash drive and then boot from usb?

If i have to go though a lot hoopla i'll just hook up a temp drive to the mobo from the outside.

metalfiber, May 6, 2021
  3. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Hi guys,
    Okay, so I wanted to know, I currently have a pc at home with a paid Windows 7 installed. I am getting a new computer either Friday or Monday with an SSD. Seeing as I want Windows 10 now and not 7 and I want it on my SSD how to I get to do this. I already downloaded a Windows 10 file in order to make one of my flash drives eligible for a windows 10 installation.

Will it be possible for me to just install windows 10 on the new SSD with this flash drive using my Windows 7 key, whilst my original windows 7 is still installed on the old Hard drive. And if it is how to I go about deleting my old OS from the HDD, seeing as I also want to use that HDD in my new pc, without formatting all the games I have on it currently?

Thank you in advance

MichaelDFF, May 6, 2021
  4. thraxed Win User

clean install of windows 10 on new disk, but won't boot without the old windows 7 drive...

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, May 6, 2021
Thema:

1. clean install of windows 10 on new disk, but won't boot without the old windows 7 drive... - Similar Threads - clean install disk

2. New HDD with new windows installation won't work without old HDD with windows installation...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New HDD with new windows installation won't work without old HDD with windows installation...: Hello, I have the same problem as JamesWesthead1 told about under this link:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-hdd-with-new-windows-installation-wont-work/963c5a00-908e-43ae-86ab-8f040cf07e43I hope that DaveM121 will help me too!I would like to know...
  3. New HDD with new windows installation won't work without old HDD with windows installation...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New HDD with new windows installation won't work without old HDD with windows installation...: Hello, I have the same problem as JamesWesthead1 told about under this link:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-hdd-with-new-windows-installation-wont-work/963c5a00-908e-43ae-86ab-8f040cf07e43I hope that DaveM121 will help me too!I would like to know...
  4. New HDD with new windows installation won't work without old HDD with windows installation...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. New HDD with new windows installation won't work without old HDD with windows installation

New HDD with new windows installation won't work without old HDD with windows installation: Hello, I got a pre-built PC with windows 10 like 4 yers ago and have changed multiple parts on it except the HDD. This HDD had was old an making noses and had to get a new HDD because my my PC wouldn't boot on the old one. So I was able to get the USB windows installer and...
  6. Installed new Nvme drive - cloned windows 10 to it but it won't boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installed new Nvme drive - cloned windows 10 to it but it won't boot: Hi My Motherboard a X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING-CF has two Nvme sockets but i want to add a third 1TB Nvme ssd. So I bought a Sabrent adapter card and a new 1TB WD black Nvme ssd. I added the new Sabrent adapter with the new WD 1TB in and cloned the windows system to it. I then...
  7. how to install windows to new drive without usb or disk?

how to install windows to new drive without usb or disk?: I am currently have the wrong version of windows installed on my hard drive I just got a new dive and want to make it my main drive how would I install windows on the new dive and make it my main without the need for a usb or install disk....
  8. Windows 10 doesn't boot from old disk after installation on new disk UEFI

Windows 10 doesn't boot from old disk after installation on new disk UEFI: Hello, I was asked for replace HDD to SDD drive in the desktop by creating clean installation. Unfortunately during installation computer stuck on Activation serial number screen every time. I decided to take new SSD to home, put it into my personal laptop, install Windows...
  9. Windows 10 won't boot after clean install

Windows 10 won't boot after clean install: Just build a new PC, not my first rodeo. I put everything together without any problems, plugged it in. Verified everything was registering in BIOS, no problems. Inserted Windows 10 Home install USB and booted into the installer. Went into installer and entered Key code. Went...
  10. Install Windows 10 on new build pc without disk drive

Install Windows 10 on new build pc without disk drive: Hello, my son and I have built a pc as a project during COVID-19. We are absolute beginners. When I purchased the Windows 10 OS, it came in the form of a disk, but we have no disk drive on the newly built pc or my own laptop. I also don't have a USB with 8GB, so don't know...