Windows 10: Clean Install of Windows 10 on SSD

Discus and support Clean Install of Windows 10 on SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've got a clunky 1TB HDD that's just about to fall over. I want to buy a 1TB SSD and rather than transfer everything over from the HDD, I want to do a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AphexUK, Mar 18, 2020.

1. AphexUK Win User

Clean Install of Windows 10 on SSD

I've got a clunky 1TB HDD that's just about to fall over. I want to buy a 1TB SSD and rather than transfer everything over from the HDD, I want to do a fresh install of Windows 10 on the SDD. How easy is this and how do I go about it?

:)

AphexUK, Mar 18, 2020
  2. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Mar 18, 2020
  3. Win 10 clean install question

This is what I would do:
    • Shrink the hard drive partition until it's small enough to fit on the SSD.
    • Clone the Windows 8.1 setup to the SSD.
    • Boot off the SSD and make sure that Windows 8.1 is happy (i.e., no complaints about activation).
    • Upgrade to Windows 10 on the SSD.
    This way, you know that Windows 8.1 has a valid setup on the SSD before doing anything else. Plus, the Windows 10 upgrade will be processed much faster on the SSD. Finally, you still have the hard drive setup to fall back to if anything goes wrong.

Static~Charge, Mar 18, 2020
  4. Clean Install of Windows 10 on SSD

Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Mar 18, 2020
Thema:

Clean Install of Windows 10 on SSD

1. Clean Install of Windows 10 on SSD - Similar Threads - Clean Install SSD

2. Clean Installation of Windows 10 on ssd.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean Installation of Windows 10 on ssd.: Unable to boot, getting the following error message from startup repair;Startup repair Log File: D:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt Tried to use all other methods found, none have worked....
  3. Clean Installation of Windows 10 on ssd.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean Installation of Windows 10 on ssd.: Unable to boot, getting the following error message from startup repair;Startup repair Log File: D:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt Tried to use all other methods found, none have worked....
  4. Clean Installation of Windows 10 on ssd.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. SSD not recognized on windows 10 clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD not recognized on windows 10 clean install: Hi all,I've read so many similar threads on this topic and have seemed to try them all without success. I am upgrading my dad's computer for Christmas but am running into this issue. I have opted to do a clean windows 10 install to the new NVME. The drive appears formatted to...
  6. SSD not recognized on windows 10 clean install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD not recognized on windows 10 clean install: Hi all,I've read so many similar threads on this topic and have seemed to try them all without success. I am upgrading my dad's computer for Christmas but am running into this issue. I have opted to do a clean windows 10 install to the new NVME. The drive appears formatted to...
  7. Clean Install Windows 10 on NVMe SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Install Windows 10 on NVMe SSD: My system specs are as follows: Microsoft Windows 10 x64 Version 1909 Build 18363.778 I'd like to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 on my laptop, which has an Intel NVMe SSD installed as its only drive. On an HDD, I'd simply use Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN) or a similar...
  8. Clean Install of Windows 10 on new SSD

Clean Install of Windows 10 on new SSD: Howdy, I want to do a nice fresh install of Windows 10 on a brand new SSD but am just a bit confused on how I should go about it and what it entails. To be specific, I have 4 drives (2 HDD, 2 SSD) in my PC and was wondering if the data is kept on the other 3 drives (that...
  9. Windows 10 clean install on a new SSD

Windows 10 clean install on a new SSD: I have a Samsung Laptop which had Windows 7 on it. I have replaced the HDD with a new, unused SSD (500Gb). I then tried installing Windows 10 from a bootable USB created using the Microsoft tool. I changed the boot order to USB 1st, and set the SATA Mode to AHCI manually....
  10. Clean install windows 10 on my SSD

Clean install windows 10 on my SSD: I have a samsung 850 pro 256 gb SSD and the windows install disk i have keeps giving me the same trouble every time i try to clean install it on my SSD: "windows could not format a partition on disk 0 the error occurred while preparing the partition selected for...