Windows 10: Clean Install of Windows - Change Product Key Access Denied

Discus and support Clean Install of Windows - Change Product Key Access Denied in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello all, my old system was such a mess with multiple office version and windows insider builds causing me all kinds of headaches. I recently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by YoungGerald, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Clean Install of Windows - Change Product Key Access Denied

Hello all,

my old system was such a mess with multiple office version and windows insider builds causing me all kinds of headaches.

I recently performed a clean install of windows 10 pro and as I setup my user account and proceeded to log into my windows account outlook.com and can see my windows 10 Pro is activated with a digital license linked to my microsoft account.

I'm unfamiliar with this so I attempt to 'Change product key' to my new retail key but I'm getting the following error: -

Unable to Activate Windows

Something interrupted our troubleshooting. Make sure that you're connected to the Internet, wait a few minutes, and try again. 0x80070005.

I thought this was suspicious so I ran slmgr.vbs /dli from an elevated command prompt and I can see I have a Partial Product Key: 3V66T. I tried to execute a slmgr.vbs /upk but I'm getting the following error: -

Windows Script Host

Error: 0x80070005 Access denied: the requested action requires elevated provileges.

Strange because this is a clean install of windows running from an elevated command prompt Administrator: Command Prompt.

Has anybody else experienced this before? Perhaps there is legacy KMS clients that survived the clean install?

:)

YoungGerald, Aug 17, 2020

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Aug 17, 2020
  3. EsMj Win User
    Change Folder Destination access Denied

Thanks.

After following the steps suggested, I get the message "Access denied" in command prompt.

Please advise how to allow permission.

4. Fafhrd Win User

Clean Install of Windows - Change Product Key Access Denied

Which product key is needed for clean install of windows

By way of explanation:

When Windows 8 came out on 26 October 2012, there was a £/$15.00 offer that upgraded any recently (~6 mo) purchased Windows 7 OEM edition to 8.0 Pro Retail. Quite a good deal at the time. And a free upgrade to MCE Pro followed, both obtained by contacting Microsoft, who used 3rd party partners to handle sales, and email product keys to applicants.

Both the 8 Pro and the 8 MCE Pro product keys given out with these offers are valid upgrade keys for Windows 10 Pro.

Fafhrd, Aug 17, 2020
Thema:

Clean Install of Windows - Change Product Key Access Denied

1. Clean Install of Windows - Change Product Key Access Denied - Similar Threads - Clean Install Change

2. wsl --install: Access is denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wsl --install: Access is denied: I got this errorwsl --install Installing: Windows Subsystem for Linux Access is denied. 0,0%Tried run as administrator - the sameWin10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wsl-install-access-is-denied/eac2553a-3216-4615-996d-e1f993a6576a
  3. Changing Windows product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Changing Windows product key: When ever I try to change my windows product key, it comes up and says "The product key you entered didn't work. check the product key and try again, or enter a different one. (0xc004f050)" I don't know what else to do, I've tried trouble shooting but its nothing happens....
  4. Clean install of Windows 10 - Product Key wont work

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install of Windows 10 - Product Key wont work: Hello, I recently built a new PC. My previous version of Windows 10 was installed on my old sata hdd. I upgraded to a new SSD hd and upgraded my motherboard. I ran the install of windows 10 onto my new SSD hd and reformatted my old sata for backup files. When I entered my...
  5. Change windows product key

Change windows product key: My system was attacked by Malware and after that I have reinstalled windows 10 using media creation file by cleaning all my drives. When I'm entering my original product key by using the option change product key, i'm getting the following error...
  6. Windows 10 product key not working after clean install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 product key not working after clean install: I installed windows 10 on top of Windows 7, but then did a clean install afterwards from an image on a USB drive. I wrote down the product key from the first install after scraping it with a program. The clean install of 10 went fine, but it will not accept this product...
  7. Which product key is needed for clean install of windows

Which product key is needed for clean install of windows: Hello, I'm in the process of backing up data and product keys for a fresh install of Windows. Upon digging on google for how to find your windows product key, I found several ways to find it. My HP has a COA sticker with a Windows 7 product key. I also used Produkey, which...
  8. Product Key on Clean Install

Product Key on Clean Install: After I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, I did a clean install. Seems like everything is fine, except I had to enter the Product Key to finish the installation. The clean install is activated. I understood from what I have been reading here that once I did the free...
  9. Will windows 10 update provide a product key for clean install?

Will windows 10 update provide a product key for clean install?: Hi Guys A few questions.... Could someone please clarify, Will windows 10 update provide a product key for clean install? If so how/where? If not when performing a clean install, will skipping the product key prompt, then activating once desktop appears automatically...
  10. Cannot view product key on clean install

Cannot view product key on clean install: Ok, the more I read the more confused I get. Here's my problem: Have a computer with OEM Windows 7, been on there a few years. It's becoming somewhat goofy and decided to do a clean install of Windows 10. So, bought an OEM cd of 10 from Amazon ( home version). Came today....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. access denied when trying to change office product key