Windows 10: Clean install on EFI computer causing boot problems

Discus and support Clean install on EFI computer causing boot problems in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had made a clean install of Windows 10 on an older computer without any issues. Then I tried to do a clean install on a newer EFI-based computer.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by aonghus, Dec 17, 2014.

1. aonghus Win User

Clean install on EFI computer causing boot problems

I had made a clean install of Windows 10 on an older computer without any issues.

Then I tried to do a clean install on a newer EFI-based computer. I had trouble like many others once I tried to install to a GPT partition having booted from a USB which wasn't in EFI mode. For the benefit of anyone having that issue, I would recommend following this guide:
    UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows

However, Windows is now installed, but I'm faced with a new issue. Windows never boots first time. I have to turn off the power by holding down for 5 seconds. Then windows will boot into a dual boot screen, offering Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. I though I had done a clean install, but apparently not.

Anyway, I think my problem is that instead of clearing all of the partitions when doing the initial install, I just deleted and re-created the "OS" partition and installed Windows there. Thus I left all of the recovery partitions, including the WINRETOOLS partition, and also the EFI and MSR "reserved partitions". Does Windows just automatically recreate all of the partitions it needs? From advice elsewhere on the internet, it seemed like it would be a bad idea to remove all the partitions.

Anyway, maybe this is not the cause of my problem. Thanks for any help!

Update: the computer is a Dell XPS15 which has a hybrid drive (~500GB HDD and 32GB SSD). The SSD is just used for caching and faster startup. I think it uses Intel Rapid Start Technology and maybe other software to achieve the faster start times, but I've no idea how you would restore this functionality after wiping the primary HDD. Anyway, it may be possible that this hybrid arrangement, which I think makes use of RAID could be part of the problem.

:)

aonghus, Dec 17, 2014

2. Blank EFI Partition

Hi,

When you ran the installation media, did you boot it up in UEFI boot mode?

The EFI file for the Windows Boot Manager is automatically created if you would boot the installation media to UEFI mode, thereby installing Windows 10 to boot through the EFI. Otherwise, if it is installed (or if you ran the installer) in legacy boot mode
    then Windows will also boot in legacy boot mode.

When doing a clean install, Windows will create an extra partition, not for the EFI, but for the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE). The EFI file for the Windows Boot Manager can be found on the same partition where you have installed Windows.

You may need to check your BIOS configuration to determine the boot mode which your unit is currently set to. For further assistance on checking the boot mode setting for your computer, it would be best to consult the manufacturer of your device.

Let us know how it goes.

Jarius Tol, Dec 17, 2014
  3. Windows 10 0xc000000f

Did you try deleting all partitions on the drive and starting a clean install? Also disable efi in the bios so there is no efi boot partition.

AndrewPelecanos, Dec 17, 2014
  4. Saltgrass Win User

You probably need to disable the acceleration drive when installing an OS. It can be disabled using the Intel utility in the hidden icons on the taskbar. After you finish the install, you can re-enable it the same way. If you disable it, give it time to unwind before shutting down.

It is normally best to remove all current partitions during an install to a clean drive. The install runs into problems removing partitions so it can install correctly.

If you are trying to dual boot, make sure you are using the same configuration, UEFI or Legacy, if you are installing on one drive. You can have UEFI install and Legacy install on different drives, but the Boot Menu will probably not be available

Saltgrass, Dec 17, 2014
  5. Hi Saltgrass, thanks for that info. I was pulling my hair out wondering why the Boot Menu wasn't working. Windows 7(UEFI) on 1st drive, Windows 10 on 2nd. Oh well back to the dreaded EasyBCD. Windows 10 is legacy, what if I re-install as UEFI, will I get the menu then?

worldstream, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean install on EFI computer causing boot problems - Similar Threads - Clean install EFI

2. Clean Install of Win10 leads to EFI-shell / Boot is impossible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean Install of Win10 leads to EFI-shell / Boot is impossible: Hello, I've tried to do a clean install of my niece's laptop. The laptop had a plethora of problems and one of those problems was not being able to update Windows anymore as there wasn't enough disk space on C: 32gb SSD for a few months now. After successfully installing a...
  3. Clean Install of Win10 leads to EFI-shell / Boot is impossible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean Install of Win10 leads to EFI-shell / Boot is impossible: Hello, I've tried to do a clean install of my niece's laptop. The laptop had a plethora of problems and one of those problems was not being able to update Windows anymore as there wasn't enough disk space on C: 32gb SSD for a few months now. After successfully installing a...
  4. Clean Install of Win10 leads to EFI-shell / Boot is impossible

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. "Windows" or "EFI boot" ?

"Windows" or "EFI boot" ?: I used to run only Windows 10 on my Macbook Pro 13" mid 2012 non-retina. Today I upgraded to an SSD and though of doing a fresh install of windows. I made a bootable usb through media creation tool. Now, when I installed my ssd and plugged in the usb, it showed me two options...
  6. Problems with Clean Boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problems with Clean Boot: I was having trouble with Microsoft Edge. I was told by Microsoft rep. to perform a clean boot. I did so. Then I was suppose to update the device drivers. I when to the Microsoft page and tried to perform a Windows update. 2020-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version...
  7. Clean install Windows 10, preserving the EFI partition

Clean install Windows 10, preserving the EFI partition: I want to clean install Windows 10 on a new hp laptop, to get rid of the hp bloatware. What I usually do to clean install, is boot from a Windows 10 installation USB, use a diskpart script (by pressing Shift+F10 at setup) to create the 4 reuired partitions, namely: EFI...
  8. Windows 10 Computer will not Boot after clean install

Windows 10 Computer will not Boot after clean install: Yesterday my PC crashed and when restarted came up with an error screen and would not boot windows. I tried using the troubleshooting repair menu provided and nothing would work. I created a bootable usb from my other windows 10 pc with the windows application and deleted all...
  9. Clean installation problems

Clean installation problems: I'm trying to do a fresh install of windows 10 onto my SSD. When I boot my ISO off the flash drive I get to where I have to select to storage device and sometimes it says the compatibility is wrong and sometimes it's fine I've tried swapping them between GPT and MBR as well...
  10. clean install problems

clean install problems: Can't get serial number to take, windows7 is activated. When I try windows 10 it says serial number wrong?, product id is bottom of labtop. If I use a serial number program it comes up with different serial?. This is a legal copy of windows 7 home,did I download wrong...