Windows 10: Clean install on SSD, how do I load other programs?

Discus and support Clean install on SSD, how do I load other programs? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm upgrading my Dell laptop to an SSD and rather than clone the HHD I'd rather do a clean install. (Current drive behaves odd at times, even with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GreggF1, Aug 10, 2019.

1. GreggF1 Win User

Clean install on SSD, how do I load other programs?

I'm upgrading my Dell laptop to an SSD and rather than clone the HHD I'd rather do a clean install. (Current drive behaves odd at times, even with updated Windows 10, even has a random admin account.) Is there a good way to see what's on the drive now so I can have an idea of what I want on the new one? What's the best way to get programs I use back onto the new drive? Thanks.

:)

GreggF1, Aug 10, 2019

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Aug 10, 2019
  3. Josh_922 Win User
    Win10 clean install on Samsung SSD 850 EVO

BLUF: SSD is not listed ubder "Where do you want to install Windows?"

Steps Complete:

1. I've create a Win10 bootable install usb.

2. I connect the new Samsung SSD 850 EVO via SATA.

3. I reboot PC and verify SSD is seen by the motherboard/BIOS

4. Begin Win10 install via usb.

5. Get to "Where do you want to install Windows?" and the SSD is not listed

Problems:

1. Samsung does not offer a driver for the 850 on their website

2. Cannot locate driver elsewhere

Unsuccessful Mitigations Steps Attempt:

A. Format & partition SSD via Windows Disk Management, then retried steps 1-5 above....same result

B. Clone existing HHD onto SSD via "Image for Windows" by TeraByte, then verified SSD contents via Windows Explorer....similar result

Can you please offer some advice on locating a driver for a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB drive? Or an alternative method?

Thank you

Josh_922, Aug 10, 2019
  4. rtwjunkie Win User

geforce experience takes an age to load..

Well that's why I asked. Mine is on SSD and takes 11 seconds. Your list of games will not appear if it has not checkd for updated suggested settings for awhile until it checks.

When it says it is refreshing the game list, it is checking, because NVIDIA periodically updates suggested settings. Plus it will look for those for new games you have installed.

So, the less it is run, the slower it will be.

rtwjunkie, Aug 10, 2019
Thema:

1. Clean install on SSD, how do I load other programs? - Similar Threads - Clean install SSD

2. How do I clean install?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I clean install?: I'm planning to do a factory reset. but recently I got few recommendations that I should do a clean install instead. What is better? Factory reset or clean install?If so, how do I clean install?...
  3. How do I clean install?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I clean install?: I'm planning to do a factory reset. but recently I got few recommendations that I should do a clean install instead. What is better? Factory reset or clean install?If so, how do I clean install?...
  4. Installed programs will not load

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Installed programs will not load: I have two programs - amazon Kindle and Citi Virtual Account - that are listed in Control Panel as installed. When I try to load them Virtual Account, I receive the error message The item Program that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut...
  5. Installing Win10 on SSD only and using HD for other programs.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Installing Win10 on SSD only and using HD for other programs.: I upgraded from Win7 Pro to Win10. I have Win7 Pro product key. I want to install Win10 using ISO on SSD and use SSD to boot only and Dard Drive for other programs. I have downloaded "MediaCreationTool 1809" to create ISO. What proble will I have with Digital Key? Will...
  6. Can't do clean install on SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't do clean install on SSD: I keep getting "We couldn't create a partition or find and existing one". i already made a partition with Diskpart and verified it exists. I disconnected the other hard drives and still get the error. Is there something I have to change in the BIOS? 128599
  7. How to clean install windows to ssd

How to clean install windows to ssd: So I've had a gaming laptop that I haven't touched and it didn't have any hard drives connected to it (moved it to my now current gaming pc). So I was wondering if it was possible to purchase a new ssd then clean install it from my computer and transfer the ssd to my laptop...
  8. Installing SSD & Clean install

Installing SSD & Clean install: Want to change out a HDD to SSD and also do a clean install (with no risk to licenses) of W10. What is best sequence. Install SSD first, do clean install pointing at SSD or do Clean install on HDD then move to SSD ? 121383
  9. How to backup programs for clean installation

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to backup programs for clean installation: I plan on doing a clean install of Windows however, as I have limited time and slow internet speed, downloading all the programs again that I currently have would be extremely difficult and time-consuming. How do I backup all of my programs so that I can just restore them...
  10. Got PC to clean install - now how do I move to new SSD

Got PC to clean install - now how do I move to new SSD: Second PC with Win 7 Pro 32 bit was a struggle...but succeeded in Brinks clean install and activation of 10...but was a real struggle. Now...how can I transfer the new 10 install on an HDD to a new Sata SSD in the same box ? So far haven't figured out how to make the SSD...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i did a clean installation of windows on my ssd but it says windows is activated on another pc