Windows 10: Clean install options

Discus and support Clean install options in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, first post here, seems like an amiable and knowledgeable bunch. Hi to all! On an ASUS 64-bit desktop, I'm running 8.1 (build 9600) 32-bit and want... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by brashboy, Mar 2, 2020.

1. brashboy Win User

Clean install options

Hi, first post here, seems like an amiable and knowledgeable bunch. Hi to all!

On an ASUS 64-bit desktop, I'm running 8.1 (build 9600) 32-bit and want to move to W10 in 64-bit, because so many things now just don't work with 32-bit systems. I know an upgrade is not possible and am debating how to do a clean 10 install. I read the excellent tutorial here on clean W10 installs, and it seems complicated -- with a lot of opportunities for mischief. I'm wondering if a few seeming alternatives are possible and less complicated...

1. Reformat the hard drive, wiping off everything, and then install 10 from a DVD. This I think I can do. I mean, how hard can it be?

2. Partition the hard drive (if needed) and load W10 on a different drive, then migrate everything personal from C: to the new drive and then wipe 8.1 off my machine (oh happy day) by formatting C: or whatever. I have never done all this, but it does not seem difficult with modern formatting software. Not sure how to make the machine boot to W10 on the new drive, though.

3) Buy and install a new hard drive and just load 10 on it.

The unlisted alternative is to have the clean install done by someone who knows what they are doing, but I'm new in this small town and don't know one. And I have known a couple of disastrously bad computer techs in my day. Obviously, I'm not much of a gear head.

What do you folks think?

:)

brashboy, Mar 2, 2020

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Mar 2, 2020
  3. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Mar 2, 2020
  4. Clean install options

is threre clean Install option in Windows 8 Pro?

so it doesn't have to be a full retail or system builder copy to get the clean install
    option?

Abdo shniba, Mar 2, 2020
Thema:

Clean install options

1. Clean install options - Similar Threads - Clean install options

2. Considering a Clean Install, need options explained

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Considering a Clean Install, need options explained: Split from this thread. Hi Greg,I have an important question.Here is some background from my recent post in the Clean Install Forum:...Hey Greg,Well, I got serious with my machine. With every system since before 7, when things start getting shaky, I do a system restart, then...
  3. Considering a Clean Install, need options explained

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Considering a Clean Install, need options explained: Split from this thread. Hi Greg,I have an important question.Here is some background from my recent post in the Clean Install Forum:...Hey Greg,Well, I got serious with my machine. With every system since before 7, when things start getting shaky, I do a system restart, then...
  4. Considering a Clean Install, need options explained

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Considering a Clean Install, need options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Considering a Clean Install, need options: Split from this thread. Hello -What you posted here doesn't seem to have anything to do with Windows 10 Updates. I don't recognize most of what you describe. A Restart means restarting your PC powering off and right back on. Did you mean Reset which has a tutorial here: Reset...
  6. Considering a Clean Install, need options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Considering a Clean Install, need options: Split from this thread. Hello -What you posted here doesn't seem to have anything to do with Windows 10 Updates. I don't recognize most of what you describe. A Restart means restarting your PC powering off and right back on. Did you mean Reset which has a tutorial here: Reset...
  7. System Cleaning options

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System Cleaning options: Hello community, What's best tools for system cleaning up? Ways for keep system clean up always? What tools are you guys use for your daily use? CMD? is possible clean system buy it? Which is best free third party app? Any ideas? 173343
  8. Clean Install, no option to create Local Account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Install, no option to create Local Account: I worked around this, but was wondering if any one else saw this before. I have a USB Flash drive which I created from Windows 10 64 bit ISO 1903 from Microsoft burned using Rufus as a GPT/UEFI Bios boot device. I have installed Windows 10 on other computers with this drive...
  9. Windows 10 upgrade - block the clean install option

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 upgrade - block the clean install option: Hello W10Forums; We are thinking about releasing the Windows 10 upgrade into the wild on the machines of our customers. However, since we are using specific management software e.t.c., we do not wish the users to perform a clean install of Windows 10, only the in-place...
  10. Lost Power Options (clean install) Please help!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lost Power Options (clean install) Please help!: Hi. I updated from 8.1 to 10 and have lost all of my power options. The only one I have is "balanced". Is there any way I can enable "high performance"? Your help is appreciated! Joseph 11137