Windows 10: Clean Install Partitions Query

Discus and support Clean Install Partitions Query in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My laptop has become somewhat slow to login and switch between accounts. I want to do a clean install. See the partition map below. The 500GB SSD has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Steve C, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Steve C Win User

Clean Install Partitions Query

My laptop has become somewhat slow to login and switch between accounts. I want to do a clean install. See the partition map below. The 500GB SSD has two main partitions - C: for system files and X: for backups. I'm happy to wipe C: and the other system partitions but want to retain X:. What options do I select when doing a clean install to preserve drive / partition X:

Clean Install Partitions Query [​IMG]

:)

Steve C, Sep 13, 2019
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Sep 13, 2019
  3. Mala_S Win User
    Clean Install Windows 10 partition issue

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps performed to resolve the issue. However, let’s try with the further troubleshooting steps and see if it works. Initially, I would suggest you to create a bootable media with a USB/Flash drive of capacity 8GB.
    For better understanding, you may watch the video with the procedure from the article on
    How to Clean Install Windows 10 on a PC Step-by-Step
    Guide

Set the boot priority to USB once after creating a bootable media using a USB and proceed with the Windows Installation. On the drive selection window, press Shift + F10 keys to open the Command Prompt. Then follow the steps listed
    below:

• Type the following command in the Command Prompt window and press Enter:
      diskpart
    • Once after executing the above command, type the following command to list the current drives and press Enter:
      list disk
    • List disk will give you the list of drives, use the following command to select the drive and press Enter: select disk 0
    • Type the following command to check if the disk is online: online disk
      (if the disk is not online)
    • Type the following command to clean the drive and press Enter:
      clean
    • To create a partition, type the following command and press Enter:
      create partition primary
    • To select the partition that you created, type the following command and press Enter:
      select partition 1
    • To set the partition active, type the following command and press Enter:
      active (if this is the boot partition)
    • Type the following command to assign a drive letter and press Enter:
      assign letter(letter)
    • After completing all this, close the command prompt screen and click on
      refresh button.
    • Then you will only have one drive with “unallocated space”, just select the partition to start the installation.

Let us know how it goes and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Sep 13, 2019
  4. Clean Install Partitions Query

Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Sep 13, 2019
Thema:

Clean Install Partitions Query

1. Clean Install Partitions Query - Similar Threads - Clean Install Partitions

2. to delete drive partitions for clean installation?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    to delete drive partitions for clean installation?: In a previous post, I mentioned I was in a bitlocker loop because my C drive was encrypted and i did not back up password correctlyI was told to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 by a user here. I had watched some videos on that process. It seems that I have to delete all...
  3. Clean Install - Partitions

Clean Install - Partitions: Hello Forum, I attempted to clean install Win 10 Pro v1909 from ISO on a DVD. I simply clicked on the ISO setup file, and let the system do its thing. Typically, I end up doing these clean installs several times for various reasons. This was my first attempt at a clean...
  4. clean install after deleting partitions

clean install after deleting partitions: I have deleted the partitions, and have the unallocated space partition, clicked on next, but it won't progress. There's an hourglass that just sits there. Nothing happening....
  5. hard drive partition query

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hard drive partition query: I have a Hp Pavillion 500-242 ea pc ...few years old now...came with Windows 8...Now i have installed Windows 10 pro with latest upgrades and use this pc mainly for testing programs instead of using my my main Asus Pc. Now my question is...Hp Pavillion has a 1TB hard drive...
  6. Clean Install Partition Question

Clean Install Partition Question: Hi, I just did a clean install of Windows 10 Home x64. After watching a few YT videos I am now a bit concerned. After selecting "custom installation" I get to the drive screen. I have an SSD and an HDD for data. The HDD I left alone and for the SSD I deleted all the...
  7. Activation query after clean install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation query after clean install: A friend's Asus 8.1 laptop was stuck in an automatic repair loop so I suggested that he upgrade to Windows 10. Because he was unable to access his system, I opted for a clean install and I created a bootable Win 10 usb on another pc. I used this usb to insall Win 10 on...
  8. Partition extension query

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partition extension query: Hello, I have a new HP laptop with a 256GB SSD drive split into C and D where D (13.9GB) has the manufacturer provided recovery. I've now got a separate recovery disk from HP and would like to delete D and extend C. When I try to do that using Windows' own Disk Management...
  9. Partition Query

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Partition Query: Having upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 I have been looking at the HDD partition. I find I have a small (200 MB) unallocated partition before the main C: partition. I do not know if this presents an actual or potential problem. If it does what should I do about it? I...
  10. After Upgrade via clean install query what partitions to keep

After Upgrade via clean install query what partitions to keep: *sarc*sarc Just wondering looking at my partitions after upgrading to windows 10 . [img] do i need to keep the last too partitions? i love windows 10 and had presumed that after a clean install my old windows 8 and 8.1 would be removed are these last too files remainders...