Windows 10: Clean install to new drive

Discus and support Clean install to new drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have been having trouble getting a clear result through searching. I want to reinstall/move the Windows 10 OS onto a new drive an SSD from where it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by IanButterworth2, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Clean install to new drive

I have been having trouble getting a clear result through searching. I want to reinstall/move the Windows 10 OS onto a new drive an SSD from where it currently resides on a HDD. What I can't seem to figure out is if a straight up clean install, setting the new drive as its new home, would remove all the old OS files from the current drive and leave the rest of my saved files and apps on the HDD. Does the clean install wipe the drive that windows is on currently the C drive as well as the new drive being installed on? I can see the wipe being the case if using the same drive and just doing a fresh install over top, but not sure in the other case.

Or would I simply be better off doing a clone of the drive, copy everything over to the new one, then reformat the original drive?

Thanks

:)

IanButterworth2, Jan 17, 2020

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Jan 17, 2020
  3. Wile E Win User
    Windows Vista Clean Installation

To do a clean install on a fresh hard drive with Vista on an upgrade disc, you have to follow certain steps. Buying a full install CD would've been easier, but using the upgrade disc only adds more time, so it's not that big of a deal.

Follow the instructions here to do a clean install with an upgrade disc: http://www.vistarewired.com/2007/02/28/perform-a-clean-install-with-a-vista-upgrade-disc

Wile E, Jan 17, 2020
  4. LynnRider Win User

Clean install to new drive

Clean install windows 10 on new hdd

Step by Step clean install windows 10 on brand new hard drive.

LynnRider, Jan 17, 2020
Thema:

Clean install to new drive

1. Clean install to new drive - Similar Threads - Clean install drive

2. New Drive. Clean or Clone install of upgrade to Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Drive. Clean or Clone install of upgrade to Windows 11?: Using a Corsair nvme 1tb drive. Bought a new nvme Western Digital 2tb drive. Would like the free upgrade to Windows 11 Currently on 10. And keep the Corsair drive installed. Was going to choose the clean install option, but how would that transfer my licence / oem? Or should...
  3. Clean New Install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean New Install: I recently retired and was given my work surface pro on the way out. I need to do a clean install on my Surface Pro as I no longer am part of the enterprise. I keep getting a pop up window stating I need to activate windows. How do I proceed? Thanks....
  4. Clean install of windows onto a new drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean install of windows onto a new drive: How can I do a clean install of windows but change it to a new drive? submitted by /u/Starzz_1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jbisvz/clean_install_of_windows_onto_a_new_drive/
  5. Move installed programs to a new clean installed drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move installed programs to a new clean installed drive.: Win 10 pro 2004 Till now, I never heard that it is possible to transfer installed programs from one drive / installation to another drive that had a clean install. dalchina say it is possible. You can't move installed programs to a new installation (clean install) - yes...
  6. Windows 10 clean install on a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 clean install on a new hard drive: I dropped my laptop which has smashed my HDD. Ordered a replacement HDD but unfortunately I do not have a back up USB. What are my options for installing windows 10 from new onto the new hard drive? Laptop sony vaio will boot up in BIOS. Any advice would be very welcome....
  7. Clean install of a new SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean install of a new SSD: I recently installed a new ssd for my OS, some a game and some programs off a USB stick. Now I have a two system reserved (D:) and (E:) with nothing in them, I'm assuming there is some hidden files but I'.m curious if I can delete them to regain the little bit of space (I...
  8. Moving Hard drive to new Laptop With Clean Install

Moving Hard drive to new Laptop With Clean Install: Good afternoon, all. I understand I can't move a HD from one computer to another. I plan on doing a clean install of Windows 10. My question is, after I move the hard drive to the new laptop and do the clean install via USB, will there be the Windows.old folder? Or should I...
  9. Doing a new Clean install..

Doing a new Clean install..: I'm about to do a clean install of Win10 again once I get my new SSD in the mail. I already have a image of the installation on a DVD from back when Win10 was just being available. Should I make an updated image from the media creation tool or is my old image ok to use?...
  10. Clean install on a new 250gb hard drive/

Clean install on a new 250gb hard drive/: I previously used windows xp and just went and bought a new hard drive and windows 10 usb. Im confused. I installed the hard drive along with my old master drive, using it as slave i presume. Will it auto partition the new hard drive 40591