Windows 10: Clean install to new SSD

Discus and support Clean install to new SSD in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I just purchased a SSD to replace my HDD and I am trying to install windows 10 on the new SSD. I have the key, and the cloning didn’t work for me. I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/cakedufromage, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Clean install to new SSD

I just purchased a SSD to replace my HDD and I am trying to install windows 10 on the new SSD. I have the key, and the cloning didn’t work for me. I am just looking for a fresh new install on the new SSD so I can remove the old HDD. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

submitted by /u/cakedufromage
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/cakedufromage, Sep 24, 2020

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Sep 24, 2020
  3. canuck257 Win User
    Clean install of 10 on new SSD

I am about to get a new 240Gb SSD and have been advised to clean install Windows 10 on it. This SSD will replace a SATA HDD in my existing computer running Windows 8.1. I know that I qualify for the free upgrade; I have the "Get 10" icon on my task bar.

My first question is, can I get the 10 installation media without buying it and if so, how?

Do I need to upgrade the computer to 10 before replacing the OS hard drive with the new SSD and clean installing?

I'm not very knowledgeable about these processes so I apologize if my language is incorrect. If somebody could give me a step by step process guide to achieve this, I would be most grateful.

canuck257, Sep 24, 2020
  4. Josh_922 Win User

Clean install to new SSD

Win10 clean install on Samsung SSD 850 EVO

BLUF: SSD is not listed ubder "Where do you want to install Windows?"

Steps Complete:

1. I've create a Win10 bootable install usb.

2. I connect the new Samsung SSD 850 EVO via SATA.

3. I reboot PC and verify SSD is seen by the motherboard/BIOS

4. Begin Win10 install via usb.

5. Get to "Where do you want to install Windows?" and the SSD is not listed

Problems:

1. Samsung does not offer a driver for the 850 on their website

2. Cannot locate driver elsewhere

Unsuccessful Mitigations Steps Attempt:

A. Format & partition SSD via Windows Disk Management, then retried steps 1-5 above....same result

B. Clone existing HHD onto SSD via "Image for Windows" by TeraByte, then verified SSD contents via Windows Explorer....similar result

Can you please offer some advice on locating a driver for a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB drive? Or an alternative method?

Thank you

Josh_922, Sep 24, 2020
Thema:

Clean install to new SSD

1. Clean install to new SSD - Similar Threads - Clean install SSD

2. Clean Install Windows on New SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Install Windows on New SSD: Hello I've currently got HDD running on my laptop with os and games,but I wanted to upgrade SSD and clean install windows 10 on it, without losing games which are over 500 gigs of worth, I don't want to re-download them again on slow internet connection it will be...
  3. Clean Install Windows on New SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean Install Windows on New SSD: Hello I've currently got HDD running on my laptop with os and games,but I wanted to upgrade SSD and clean install windows 10 on it, without losing games which are over gigs of worth re-downloading on them on 1mbps connection will be frustrating,I want to remove OS partition...
  4. Clean Install Windows on New SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean Install Windows on New SSD: Hello I've currently got HDD running on my laptop with os and games,but I wanted to upgrade SSD and clean install windows 10 on it, without losing games which are over gigs of worth re-downloading on them on 1mbps connection will be frustrating,I want to remove OS partition...
  5. Clean Install of Windows 10 on new SSD

Clean Install of Windows 10 on new SSD: Howdy, I want to do a nice fresh install of Windows 10 on a brand new SSD but am just a bit confused on how I should go about it and what it entails. To be specific, I have 4 drives (2 HDD, 2 SSD) in my PC and was wondering if the data is kept on the other 3 drives (that...
  6. Clean install of a new SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean install of a new SSD: I recently installed a new ssd for my OS, some a game and some programs off a USB stick. Now I have a two system reserved (D:) and (E:) with nothing in them, I'm assuming there is some hidden files but I'.m curious if I can delete them to regain the little bit of space (I...
  7. Windows 10 clean install on a new SSD

Windows 10 clean install on a new SSD: I have a Samsung Laptop which had Windows 7 on it. I have replaced the HDD with a new, unused SSD (500Gb). I then tried installing Windows 10 from a bootable USB created using the Microsoft tool. I changed the boot order to USB 1st, and set the SATA Mode to AHCI manually....
  8. Clean Install on New SSD without installing upgrade

Clean Install on New SSD without installing upgrade: I have reserved my copy of Win 10 (upgrade from Win7 Pro 32bit retail) , but i plan to fit a SSD and instill the 64bit version of Win 10. does windows 10 need to be upgrade installed first so Win 10 recognizes my hardware or can i download the ISO and do a clean install...
  9. Clean install of 10 on new SSD

Clean install of 10 on new SSD: I am about to get a new 240Gb SSD and have been advised to clean install Windows 10 on it. This SSD will replace a SATA HDD in my existing computer running Windows 8.1. I know that I qualify for the free upgrade; I have the "Get 10" icon on my task bar. My first question...
  10. Clean install on new SSD

Clean install on new SSD: Hello Everyone, I intend to buy a new SSD in the coming weeks, not sure if its a Samsung Evo 250, or 500 GB drive, To install windows 10, I plan to do a Fresh Clean install of windows 10 on the new SSD, I have seen so many ways on this Forum, on the best way to do a Clean...